Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

191 VW Golf petrol, yay or nay

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

NIMAN wrote: »
    I had a loan of a 1.0 petrol Polo today.

Drove nice but I noticed it revd high.
    When my 1.6d would run at 1500rpm, the 1 litre petrol was 2500rpm.

That's going to be tough on the juice surely?

That would indicate that the it is making up for the smaller volume with higher rpm and that while the consumption is similar (you are trying to compare diesel to petrol but to keep it easier pretend petrol 1.5/1 litre) the life of the engine should be much shorter as the parts are moving roughly 1.5 times as often to the bigger engine leading to more wear. So if a 1.5 was good for 300k, in similar treatment the 1l is good for 200k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

NIMAN wrote: »
    I had a loan of a 1.0 petrol Polo today.

Drove nice but I noticed it revd high.
    When my 1.6d would run at 1500rpm, the 1 litre petrol was 2500rpm.

That's going to be tough on the juice surely?

Yes a 1 litre petrol will be harder on juice than a 1.6 diesel.

We still bought the petrol ateca as my wife now does little to no long spins. She drives everyday but 30km max.

Car was cheaper and in the long wrong should be cheaper on dpf and dmf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Worth noting that the 1.0 in the Polo isn't the same as the 1.0 in the Golf. I think judging potential fuel economy of a 1.6d vs a 1.0p engine based on nothing more than rpm is a bit naive, there's far more to it than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Worth noting that the 1.0 in the Polo isn't the same as the 1.0 in the Golf. I think judging potential fuel economy of a 1.6d vs a 1.0p engine based on nothing more than rpm is a bit naive, there's far more to it than that.

You can have Polo with 1.0 MPI with 60 or 75 BHP. Or a 1.0 TSI with 95 or even 115 BHP. The latter two are the same that are found in Golf.

MPI would revs very highly (~4000rpm at 120kmh in 5th gear), TSI has a much longer gearbox (~2500rpm at 120kmh in last gear)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

grogi wrote: »
    You can have Polo with 1.0 MPI with 60 or 75 BHP. Or a 1.0 TSI with 95 or even 115 BHP. The latter two are the same that are found in Golf.

Yes, but you don't really see many, if any of the Turbo TSI Polos in the wild, 98% would be 65bhp. I think the TSI only come with DSG too. Very unlikely NIMAN was driving a TSI. Just for anyone comparing reviews on the Polo 1.0 to that of the Golf, it's unlikely to be the same engine reviewed.

My mam has a Polo with the 65bhp, it's excellent on fuel and sounds very very smooth for what it is. It's fairly sluggish over 80km/h though, that's be my biggest gripe with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,971 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My mistake, I just assumed the 1litre petrol I experienced in the Polo would be the same engine as in the Golf.

That explains a lot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s the 3 cylinder TSI like compared to the previous 1.2 TSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Gael23 wrote: »
    What’s the 3 cylinder TSI like compared to the previous 1.2 TSI?
    Kind of fine. They less refined, idle at much higher rpm, have narrower torque band, although have more torque - 1400-4000rpm/175nm for 1.2 vs 2000-3500rpm / 200nm for 1.0. In other words 1.0 is more docile than 1.2, which is very punchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Kind of fine. They less refined, idle at much higher rpm, have narrower torque band, although have more torque - 1400-4000rpm/175nm for 1.2 vs 2000-3500rpm / 200nm for 1.0. In other words 1.0 is more docile than 1.2, which is very punchy.

I thought the 1.2 idled at around 900rpm? The 1 litre is around 1,000rpm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would you change out of a 1.2 into it?

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I thought the 1.2 idled at around 900rpm? The 1 litre is around 1,000rpm.

The 1.0 def ab 900ish, the 1.2 I think is below 700. Will check over w/e as my wife drives the 1.2

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would you change out of a 1.2 into it?
    I did, as the 1.2 was discontinued.

Advertisement