Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dartz wrote: »
    There's nothing quite like Irish roads for snapping suspension parts

Ramps and pot holes or craters....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have a look at Indian roads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Ramps and pot holes or craters....

I drove from Cahersiveen to Carrols Cove as we were meeting people for dinner and were running rather late. All I'll say is my better half wasn't in the mood to eat by the time we arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

When I go to Cyprus on the way to the house I stay there is like two miles between two villages where the council couldn’t afford to tar the road so it’s just gravel so if anyone goes fast or breaks it it rains heavy the road just goes to sh!t it’s a fairly busy road too. Just absolutely shakes the sh!t out of the car even doing 30-40kmh and it was a brand new car I was driving last time always cringed driving down it. In the grand scheme of things Irish roads aren’t that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Brother's friend bought his first car last night.. He's just gone 19..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Self employed pharmaceuticals rep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

job seeker wrote: »

I hope he's not planning on insuring it with Liberty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Rear plate and tail find look ridiculous.

Get him to put 2 new genuine lettering reg plates on...
    That car screams pull me pull me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

And working shocks+springs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How did he manage to get insurance on that @ 19?

Edit: I probably have a fair idea.

bazz26 wrote: »

Fronting comes to mind but he may not have any yet at all.

Didn't some insurance company remove or restrict some 3rd party extensions from their policies recently? I think it was Liberty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yea, Liberty. Which is a shame as it was a really handy thing to have on the policy for the odd time you needed to drive another car.

Unfortunately like many things in Ireland it gets exploited and abused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Maybe in the 1980's. These days most roads here aren't bad. Of course there are exceptions but that can be said of most countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Fill your tanks! Brent Crude now $80 a barrel.

Petrol here now at the €1.65 mark.. what difference does it make? :(

A local station has 98 unleaded at €1.829

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

job seeker wrote: »

Best of luck insuring it, struggled to get insured on my 04 one at 24 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Anyone know of a decent indy mechanic around the stillorgan/ south Dublin area? I've an e46 that's sprung a coolant leak and I'm too lazy to go looking for it & fix it myself.

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Have a look at your radiator. The E46 I had years ago had a coolant leak and there was a hole about the size of a fist in the rad despite the mesh in front of it not showing any signs of damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have a look at your radiator. The E46 I had years ago had a coolant leak and there was a hole about the size of a fist in the rad despite the mesh in front of it not showing any signs of damage.

Ha. It's an e46 though, it could literally be anywhere. Rad, expansion tank, hose, water pump leaking. And as for finding it, it's not necessarily easy. If it's a slow leak then it is a pain in the arse to find, if it's more serious it gets easier.

As for mechanics... I'm not sure, haven't used one in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

If you're willing to travel northside, Keith Lenihan Motors in Finglas be your best bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'd be looking at the coolant expansion tank. They are notorious for developing a hairline crack regardless of engine. But as Alan says, it could be anywhere, it wouldn't be an E46 if it didn't leak coolant somewhere :D!

But since you're going to have to change parts of the cooling system anyway, you really should do the water pump and thermostat if it's a six cylinder petrol, as these are well known weak points.

Any time I've asked I've been told Motor Confidence in the Fox and Geese are the best in Dublin for BMWs. I wouldn't be letting any old garage bleed the cooling system in an E46 that's for sure (which you will have to do if there's a leak and parts need to be replaced), there is a very specific procedure that needs to be followed to the letter otherwise you'll get airlocks which will result in the car overheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone know of a decent indy mechanic around the stillorgan/ south Dublin area? I've an e46 that's sprung a coolant leak and I'm too lazy to go looking for it & fix it myself.

Cheers in advance

Chambers Performance in Sandyford

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Self employed pharmaceuticals rep?

No.. He's a student in secondary school. He works part time with a farming contracter though..
    I hope he's not planning on insuring it with Liberty :D

I honestly don't know who he'll be insured with. But I'd assume it'll be a third party extention thingy.. It's becoming so common now..
    Fronting comes to mind but he may not have any yet at all.

Naw, no land.. You're on about land aren't you?
    DPolo wrote: »
    Best of luck insuring it, struggled to get insured on my 04 one at 24 :(

I have a 1.4 civic.. I have not yet experienced the pleasure of a 2.0 rwd petrol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Hit lucky number today :D

https://i.imgur.com/FIIomJY.jpg

It does sream the above.. But I personally like it all the same. :o
    bazz26 wrote: »

I'd say that you do.. :P.. The third party extention as I said earlier.. It seems like the loop hole now a days.. However I can see this being clamped down on in the future..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Dartz

Got the RX checked at last after 5 weeks of sitting up.

Bearing in the engine is going, but it's not at all far gone. As in, the experienced gentleman I took it too had trouble hearing it until I pointed it out to him, then knew exactly what to look for. It's caught early so it's not like it's ****ed all the parts inside the engine with it.

Might just be able to get away with a bearing swap since it's in good order otherwise, which means I've a spare 13b engine to do something with. Either to put in the hole and rebuild over the winter.

Or stick it in a shell for ****s and giggles. Nobody's ever put one in an Fd and I have an idea....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

twin rotor..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Since I no longer commute to work, I finally turned in the 2015 Passat TDI yesterday. This one. https://i.imgur.com/OlAQm2P.jpg

Under the terms of the Dieselgate agreement, I received $32,600

I purchased it March 2015 with the maintenance plan for about $33,200. Add the interest payments on the loan, and total expenditure was about $34,200, plus additional maintenance, of about $1,000 as I recall.

Not counting registration ($1,200 total) or insurance (about $2,000) (or fuel), for the three and a bit years I had it, over 51,600 miles (some 83,500km) in effect I have had a Passat for about $40/month.

I am not going to complain. It was a good car. Not exciting at all, but did what I needed without fuss.

twin rotor..

They're twin rotor from the factory ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Dartz

They're twin rotor from the factory ;)

Twin twin rotor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Since I no longer commute to work, I finally turned in the 2015 Passat TDI yesterday. This one. https://i.imgur.com/OlAQm2P.jpg

Under the terms of the Dieselgate agreement, I received $32,600

I purchased it March 2015 with the maintenance plan for about $33,200. Add the interest payments on the loan, and total expenditure was about $34,200, plus additional maintenance, of about $1,000 as I recall.

Not counting registration ($1,200 total) or insurance (about $2,000) (or fuel), for the three and a bit years I had it, over 51,600 miles (some 83,500km) in effect I have had a Passat for about $40/month.

I am not going to complain. It was a good car. Not exciting at all, but did what I needed without fuss.

It's insane that a Passat is more expensive than a Mustang / Camaro / Challenger! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Big Nasty wrote: »
    It's insane that a Passat is more expensive than a Mustang / Camaro / Challenger! :eek:

It’s an exotic European sedan over there :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In fairness to Ford, the base Mustang costs about the same as, if not slightly more than, the base Passat. I got the top line trim, the SEL, and diesels cost a premium of a couple thousand dollars over their petrol stablemates. The US Spec Passat is also a tad bigger than the EU one, we got an extra inch and a half rear seat legroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Cheers in advance

Valdas - Motor Confidence

Disappointed you will not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Valdas - Motor Confidence

Disappointed you will not be.

Yep he is a wizard at all things bmw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

So I bought a set of black grilles and fitted them this evening.

Before:

25304474570_d96619ac34_c.jpg

After:

41432943304_6bcf1cf6c4_c.jpg

Almost certain I passed this today. A handsome car I must say

The e46 failed its NCT a couple of weeks back for handbrake imbalance. I replaced the offending shoe yesterday and having it fairly well set now, so I've rebooked the NCT for Thurs. Fingers crossed lads!

And in other news, I have a new painted wing on its way, I took a bit of a gamble on it. But hopefully the colour will match well enough. My drivers side front wing is rusted to bits at this stage, it was long over due.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Almost certain I passed this today. A handsome car I must say

Thurles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Saw a Bentley Bentayga driving around Rathmines yesterday. Looked unattractively shiny/blingy from the back - more Lincoln Nav type chrome.

The e46 failed its NCT a couple of weeks back for handbrake imbalance. I replaced the offending shoe yesterday and having it fairly well set now, so I've rebooked the NCT for Thurs. Fingers crossed lads!

.....e.

Did you do just one side?

Augeo wrote: »
    Did you do just one side?

Yes. I know I know, not ideal, but time constraints were at play. The handbrake is completely separate from the foot brakes so I'm not too concerned. I'll get to the other side soon.

So this arrived this morning:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=451257&stc=1&d=1526897044

It actually looks good, I'll take it out to the car this evening and see how close the colour is, but it looks great to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Is it a spurious or genuine wing ? Silver is always a dodgy one - hopefully it matches :)

Last few nights noticed my headlights were pointing at the ground, suspected broken level sensor - which one is it - can you guess ? :P

A08019_B6-16_E5-4_A39-840_B-5_C766_F2_F57_A6.jpg

Visual check to confirm - she's broken alright..

454_FD8_EE-_F59_F-465_A-97_B2-_CBA45_C233_F38.jpg

Ordered a replacement this morning - adjusted sensor manually with hand to get some safe range on my headlights till then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Decided after playing ball on Saturday to go for a long drive home up over Sally's gap. A guy in a Glanza drove past and was frantically beeping at me. Don't think he expected to a see a Honda BEAT up in the hills :pac:

I finally sow one in the flesh in last cars and coffee. It looks freaking fun! My misses looked at it and just "meh" at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Delighted with life. Got a renewal gor the E36 of 495.. rang them up and she dropped it to 350 immediately. I then said it was only on the road for 3 months and she said well we will do an off the road policy so for €100. Ring us up when you want it back and it will only be the difference which we will refund when you take it back off the road. Had budgeted and put away way more so feels like I just got free money!!! A very productive day off work today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I'm currently waiting to get my resonator removed from the 540, I'll either love it or hate it but has to be done at least once :pac:

I'm currently waiting to get my resonator removed from the 540, I'll either love it or hate it but has to be done at least once :pac:

Oh baby. Looking forward to hearing what it sounds like. I'm thinking about some exhaust mods for my own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I popped in to the lads in Icetronix today for some ideas on adding some subtle touches to the 535d, which I've been mulling over now for awhile. Just to make it look a little different from the crowd I suppose. One thing I don't want is to make it look tacky and too 'boy racery'.

Anyway, they recommended a gloss black front splitter and rear diffuser with 'shark fins'. What do you think of the front splitter...too much? This is one they did on a car pretty much same colour as mine.

41534000304_0a65c16cf3_c.jpg
    27385183657_629b371105_c.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement