Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

After doing the interior of this BM a week before hand and also washing, de-tarring one half i had to call it a night at 11pm due to mist mucking up the wax application :rolleyes:

aDS9Dcc.jpg

So yesterday i started the exterior AGAIN :P (rinse - TFR - Rinse - foam - rinse - dry - de-tar - wax - trim/tyers - windows) :pac:

qomOWIg.jpg

QnYlGrk.jpg

7W84xDm.jpg

L3bODgp.jpg

mh6lzp8.jpg

9fijJtS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Today I gave my car a good clean
    Wash, detar and shine up the black.
    9232599205_c6e8091986_c.jpg

9232582921_368e585b8d_c.jpg IMAG1267

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Finally got around to cleaning the car on friday, got rid of all those flies :pac:

Gave the OAC citrus pre-clean a run, was well impressed. Did 10:1 dilution because it was fairly heavily soiled and destroyed with flies. Followed up with powerwash, 2BM and then waxed with HD wax.

DBoBSJL.jpg

5HLEfXsh.jpg

8vPs5tv.jpg

LxCEgcy.jpg

YGXOABt.jpg

6tvtJnQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Gave the OAC citrus pre-clean a run, was well impressed. Did 10:1 dilution because it was fairly heavily soiled and destroyed with flies. Followed up with powerwash, 2BM and then waxed with HD wax.

Ehhh, did you not clean your wheels? :p

Another Orchard Autocare product impressing - good to see! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Gave the car a quick detail inside and out yesterday. It's quite easy at the moment as there isn't any crap coated on it. Plan is to try and keep on top of it as much as possible and not give it the opportunity to stick.

IMAG0090_zps43ea54df.jpg
    IMAG0085_zps3dd5b453.jpg

Sealed the wheels while I was at it. Should have done it properly when I got it as theyre's already a layer of brake dust on the inside rim. Might take them off at the weekend.
    IMAG0087_zps55534a7d.jpg

Looking forward to seeing pics of the Gtechniq C1 MM, considering having it done to my own soon too.

Nice motor MC - very best of luck with it! :)

As you say - keeping on top of it will be the key....that and a good de-ironiser/fall out remover.....essential piece of kit when owning white or silver cars!! On lighter colours, it makes a noticeable difference; not so much so on darker colours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Curran wrote: »
    Nice motor MC - very best of luck with it! :)

As you say - keeping on top of it will be the key....that and a good de-ironiser/fall out remover.....essential piece of kit when owning white or silver cars!! On lighter colours, it makes a noticeable difference; not so much so on darker colours!

That's something I hadnt thought of but noticed immediately when I began to hose it how much crap was actually stuck to the car. even to touch a panel had black smudges showing up that otherwise weren't visible.

even to touch a panel had black smudges showing up that otherwise weren't visible.

Sure your hands were clean! :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

CM - nice work but please wash your wheels and sort out those mud guards with gtechniq trim restorer!!!! :pac:

MC - Those alloys are class! With regard to the C1, it doesn't give great beading by any means, it's the EXO that does that. The C1 is just a tougher lacquer layer whereas EXO is a blend of organic/inorganic compounds. The organic elements give the water/dirt/oil repellency while the inorganic elements give an incredible shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Was all set to give the car a polish with a DA yesterday and it was just too damn hot.

Prob take a day off next week (when it's cooler again) and go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ehhh, did you not clean your wheels? :p

Another Orchard Autocare product impressing - good to see! :)

They were worse :pac: I gave them a squirt of the CPC too but wasn't bothered giving them a proper clean. I only started cleaning it at like 7pm!

Well impressed though! :) Need to get one of these for it I think, don't have a lance

hozelock-5l-standard-sprayer.jpg
    CM - nice work but please wash your wheels and sort out those mud guards with gtechniq trim restorer!!!! :pac:

:p as above

Also the mud guards are in shíte because they keep cracking off of speed bumps. Think I might ditch them later in the year, but the years of crap behind them needs to be sorted :(

Also the car got covered in a huge layer of dust on saturday, hence me washing it down a la video :D Made getting it off quick work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Both cars snow foamed, Washed. Dried and treated to some Britemax Spray and Shine.

Carscleaned_zps1fd4848c.jpg

Two of the cleanest Octavia's in the country right there!! Smashing looking! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Got my first car this week, mam's old Toyota Yaris! :D:o

Decided I'd clean every last bit of the car over the next while. It's mechanically perfect, but the paint is in a bad way (lacquer peeling on roof and spreading).

Only had enough time to wash it and detar it (first time using the stuff). Can't believe how easy the stuff comes off with it!

Before:
    9280859903_e2f70af126_c.jpg

After:
    9283639446_ec853c0e32_c.jpg

What kind of cloth did you use to remove the tar? From what I can see, you've scratched the paint while doing it because I don't see any scratches in the first pic.

• Advertisement

01-DSCF6157_zps2d360147.jpg

02-DSCF6173_zps027f5bc5.jpg

05-DSCF6160_zpsdc7a963a.jpg

06-DSCF6178_zpsfb75bccc.jpg

07-DSCF6161_zps92f36846.jpg

08-DSCF6176_zps7a4beb1d.jpg

09-DSCF6162_zpsda1a274e.jpg

10-DSCF6177_zps9dac8673.jpg

11-DSCF6163_zpsf6d0e3ae.jpg

12-DSCF6175_zpsb42f02b9.jpg

17-DSCF6171_zps733f6519.jpg

03-DSCF6158_zps74353558.jpg

04-DSCF6174_zpsb320bf05.jpg

15-DSCF6167_zps05373b35.jpg

16-DSCF6179_zpsb8651143.jpg

13-DSCF6166_zpsd82daa2b.jpg

14-DSCF6181_zps89f77561.jpg

18-DSCF6164_zps5efebc06.jpg

19-DSCF6180_zps10467ab1.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Daniel S you'll have to do a scratch repair on the car now What Did you use:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

In the first picture, the arch is covered in detar. The scratches were already there. I used a microfibre mit btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

12-DSCF6175_zpsb42f02b9.jpg

17-DSCF6171_zps733f6519.jpg

03-DSCF6158_zps74353558.jpg

04-DSCF6174_zpsb320bf05.jpg

15-DSCF6167_zps05373b35.jpg

16-DSCF6179_zpsb8651143.jpg

13-DSCF6166_zpsd82daa2b.jpg

14-DSCF6181_zps89f77561.jpg

18-DSCF6164_zps5efebc06.jpg

19-DSCF6180_zps10467ab1.jpg

:rolleyes:

It looks great!
    What did you use to clean it up?
    Hoover and apc?

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    It looks great!
    Hoover and apc?

For anyone looking to know the difference between a valet and a detail, I think the above is a goo example.

Its a great turn around for sure!! But some of those plastics are still dirty IMO....I couldnt leave it like that. I understand the carpet is beyond saving really, but 2 mins extra and a few different brushes, on each section of plastic would have them spotless. The pedal box could have been given a wipe too!

Ita a work van so the turn around is very good, but its the finer details that define the gap between valet and detailing.

Scortho wrote: »
    It looks great!
    Hoover and apc?

Autosmart G101 (strong mixture)
    For anyone looking to know the difference between a valet and a detail, I think the above is a goo example.

Its a great turn around for sure!! But some of those plastics are still dirty IMO....I couldnt leave it like that. I understand the carpet is beyond saving really, but 2 mins extra and a few different brushes, on each section of plastic would have them spotless. The pedal box could have been given a wipe too!

Ita a work van so the turn around is very good, but its the finer details that define the gap between valet and detailing.

TBH i wasnt 100% yesterday, the HEAT! :eek:

You're dead right currun
    90% = valet
    100% = detail

I got paid for a valet though 9HGNzji.gif

Exactly. ..you get what you pay for.

Im just pointing out the difference as some people don't think there's much difference. ..having said 95% of people would be very pleased with the results.

Well if i was on form it would have been a top notch valet LOL

Dont mean to be bad when I say this, but your form shouldnt come into it - if you arent feeling well, turn down the job.

With this type of work, word of mouth is very valuable, and you are only as good as your last job!

You mentioned you worked/ did some training with Brian.
    Did he train you to turn our unfinished work when in ad form??

I think not..

As Curran said.
    Your credibility pends your last job. ;)

vectra wrote: »
    Did he train you to turn our unfinished work when in ad form??

I think not..

As Curran said.
    Your credibility pends your last job. ;)
    Read that again ? I don't get it

vectra wrote: »
    Did he train you to turn out unfinished work when in bad form??

HE made one or two typo's, which Ive fixed...should make sense now

Read that again ? I don't get it

Typo's
    I have much more on my mind at the moment so sorry for confusing you :o

Ah right - very correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I finally got the car waxed over the weekend, and finished off the little details like the plastics and the headlights. Came out ok IMO :)

car_polished_small.JPG

Chimaera wrote: »
    car_polished_small.JPG

Would love them wheels under my caddy, sucks not being a bit richer

Looks well what wax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I picked up that set for €250 in a scrapyard a few years ago.

It got 2 coats of Jetseal 109 followed by a coat of Turtle Wax Hard Shell wax.

Get rid of the Turtle Wax and get yourself Collinite 476S or 845. It works very very well with Jetseal ;)

easy use that 476s

easy use that 476s

Never used 476 but I love the 845.
    It is a breeze to use and has an excellent gloss from it. Last well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Washed the car using chemical guys Mr. Pink, finished the claying I started a few weeks ago (I had waxed the panels I had previously done) and followed it up with two coats of meguiars nxt tech wax 2.0.

Was hoping to get started using the DA but could not find the extension lead :mad:

Need a proper camera but phone pic will have to do for now, really doesn't do it justice

ssG3nwjl.jpg?1

Well done Chimaera and BillJ - both cars looking very well! :)

easy use that 476s

Not really, it can be a pain to remove at times and you have to be very careful so you don't scratch or mar the paint. It's also very easy to apply too much and have it even harder to remove. The key to it is a thin film and re-wax the applicator lightly after every large panel or every 2 small panels.

The 845 is a lot easier to use from what vectra has told me but I haven't used that myself yet. I'm waiting for the 476 to run down before I go for 845.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Started doing the outside of my car today in prep for the big TOC meet this Sunday. Mostly using products seen as mediocre in here to be honest :P

started this morning washed the car (AG bodywork conditioner), de-tared (AG tar remover), rinsed, washed again, clayed with turtle wax clay bar, rinsed, washed again, rinsed and dried.

not sure if that process was entirely correct but i'm happy this far. having a little siesta now and will go back out in a few to keep going :)

a quick pic this far -

mlpkkk.jpg

started this morning washed the car (AG bodywork conditioner), de-tared (AG tar remover), rinsed, washed again, clayed with turtle wax clay bar, rinsed, washed again, rinsed and dried.

not sure if that process was entirely correct but i'm happy this far

Spot on with the process!! ;)

Should look great with some protection applied! :cool:

Dont forget a bit of tyre shine, buff it down to prevent sling / splashes onto the side of the car on the drive to the event!!

A few pictures too!! Good stuff!

tried going out again there but you're at nothing with the polish, its too warm.

here's a few photos of the clay. i've owned the car 14 months now. although it'd always be kept clean i've never clayed before. here are some of my results :) i used water as lube and not the clay lube provided for some reason :P i stuck to the recommended keeping passing the clay until you feel no friction. i don't know if the results represent a poor quality clay or a car that wasn't actually that dirty.

roof :

2u6hizc.jpg

driver side complete :

293wmzb.jpg

passenger side complete :

skx4lf.jpg

Most likely that the car wasnt that dirty!!

Poor quality clay will still remove quite a lot of bonded contaminants, its just that it can be a nightmare to use!!

How did you get on with just water? Find that you were leaving marring anywhere, due to the warm panels?
    What clay is it? Bilt Hamber Auto Clay is the only Id use with just water...and at that, I always include a bit of lubricant to add a bit of slickness and ensure extra safety!

it was ok, i was wetting the panels as i went so they were always wet and it was still early in the morning so they weren't hot to touch.

it was the turtle wax "refine and shine" clay bar kit. i had never used it before, i was dubious enough of the clay concept, but would happily pay a bit more the next time to get a better product having seen the results.

i didn't realise there was a risk attached to using just water :P but it looks fine, certainly no worse than before in terms of swirls or damage.

Sure happy days then! ;)
    Looking forward to the results!!

• Advertisement

you know it's been a good 8 hour detailing session enjoying the music when :pac:

ndm147.jpg

ok, so in the following order

AG paint renovator
    AG SRP
    AG UDS
    Jeffs prime

wash and dry to get rid of epic dust

jeffs prime
    jeffs addicted to glos

and endurance gel on the tyres :)

happy happy! and bring on the TOC big meet on Sunday!

2ibn3wn.jpg
    mn00t3.jpg
    15occk6.jpg
    11rvzox.jpg
    2mcfwiw.jpg
    2hxufy0.jpg

......................... whats under the cover on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

TFB, at least your not afraid of a bit of work but you must love making your life difficult:D

I'm not here to knock you, just to point out a few things which will help you out in future.

Firstly, I would only use AG paint renovator to remove scratches, but not to worry. It is a little too abrasive to use as an all round general polish.

As for using AG SRP, AG UDS and Jeffs prime in that order, well each of those products are essentially doing the same job. They clean, polish and protect. Except one might suit better than the other depending on whether you are working on a dark colour (UDS) or a light/metallic or white (Prime) or just have SRP to hand and intend topping it with EGS or a wax afterwards. So whatever benefit UDS brought in terms of enhancing black, you removed it with the two shots of Prime.

So either use UDS on its own (for black), or SRP & EGP together for a better overall finish and more protection. If you prefer the Jeffs acrylic system, go with them. Prime first and top up with Glos after each wash. Better again if you go Prime, next Jett (sealant) and maintain with Glos. The problem with acrylic products on dark colours (especially non-metallic blacks) is they can look a little sterile or plasticy, so an acrylic and carnauba mix or cleaner wax and carnauba wax combo would look better.

Tom is right, but sure feck it, you've gotten a few extra detailing muscles, probably been bitten by the bug a bit more and sure doesn't the car look brilliant!!

LOL at the jump start....learned years ago, before I could drive, to have the music supplied from some other source than the car radio....to be honest, some cars dont turn over after leaving the doors open for a few hours doing an interior job!! :rolleyes:

TomMc wrote: »
    TFB, at least your not afraid of a bit of work but you must love making your life difficult:D

I'm not here to knock you, just to point out a few things which will help you out in future.

Firstly, I would only use AG paint renovator to remove scratches, but not to worry. It is a little too abrasive to use as an all round general polish.

As for using AG SRP, AG UDS and Jeffs prime in that order, well each of those products are essentially doing the same job. They clean, polish and protect. Except one might suit better than the other depending on whether you are working on a dark colour (UDS) or a light/metallic or white (Prime) or just have SRP to hand and intend topping it with EGS or a wax afterwards. So whatever benefit UDS brought in terms of enhancing black, you removed it with the two shots of Prime.

So either use UDS on its own (for black), or SRP & EGP together for a better overall finish and more protection. If you prefer the Jeffs acrylic system, go with them. Prime first and top up with Glos after each wash. Better again if you go Prime, next Jett (sealant) and maintain with Glos. The problem with acrylic products on dark colours (especially non-metallic blacks) is they can look a little sterile or plasticy, so an acrylic and carnauba mix or cleaner wax and carnauba wax combo would look better.

not knocking at all, i appreciate the sound advice, as i do sometimes feel like i am probably taking two steps forwards and one step back with the jumble of products i use so i really appreciate being set straight.

the car is a metallic black for what it's worth.

i ended up with all the jeffs kit as it it was a recommended purchase for me back when i had my white vitz and i bought a good few bottles at the time :P.

the jeffs is so easy on and easy off compared to most nearly anything else i tried, like most AG stuff feels like a chore to work compared to it. i did appreciate that it was for a lighter colour of car but enjoyed knowing in my head that a good coat of it kept the car beading for what (imo) is a very long time, that combined with the easy of application made it worthwhile for me even if there is a slight finish compromise.

could you recommend a good equivalent to the jeffs but for that colour? one other thing i really like about it is it doesn't have that "chalkyness" to it when you buff it off and it doesn't leave a dusty mess.

edit : and a mk1 corsa under the cover :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement