Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€15k, 30,000 km per year, what would you get?

Options
  • 16-01-2019 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

I'm going to dip into the market soon to refresh my poverty spec 09 Mondeo and I am looking for a nicer place to be.

I'm looking to spend about €15k
    I travel nearly 30,000 km per year (95% motorway miles)
    Four / five door required (1 little kiddo)

I'll be keeping the car for at least 5 years and don't want to spend a fortune on it so it needs to be capable of doing 150,000 km without much more than maintenance work.

I've been contemplating a MK5 titanium Mondeo just because my current car has been really reliable but I am open to anything.

I'm thinking of buying a UK car but it will be from a reseller that will do all the importing work for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mazda 6 and for a few reasons

1. Its significantly cheaper second hand than a Skoda superb or avensis etc

2. It's a nicer place to be

See several 2015 models within your budget and under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

141 320D in from the north.

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2015-Audi-A4-1-8-TFSI-SE-TECHNIK-4d-118-BHP-204468548

2015 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI SE TECHNIK
    1.8L petrol with about 55,000km on the clock. It'll be a little more than €15k all-in with the VRT.

If you could stretch a bit more, you could get the S-Line ultra black edition 2L diesel for a bit more:

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2013-Audi-A4-2-0-TDI-143-Black-Edition-4dr-234899866

That one has about 80,000km on the clock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Mazda 6 and for a few reasons

1. Its significantly cheaper second hand than a Skoda superb or avensis etc

2. It's a nicer place to be

See several 2015 models within your budget and under

What's the reliability like in the Mazda though? Have they worked through most of their problems?
    141 320D in from the north.

Had an 02 petrol 3 series before the Mondeo and loved it. Could be very easily tempted back.
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2015-Audi-A4-1-8-TFSI-SE-TECHNIK-4d-118-BHP-204468548

2015 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI SE TECHNIK
    1.8L petrol with about 55,000km on the clock. It'll be a little more than €15k all-in with the VRT.

If you could stretch a bit more, you could get the S-Line ultra black edition 2L diesel for a bit more:

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2013-Audi-A4-2-0-TDI-143-Black-Edition-4dr-234899866

That one has about 80,000km on the clock though.

I set myself a limit of about 100,000 km on the clock so both of them would be grand, IMO. I've never driven Audi before though. Those S-Lines are lovely.

d31b0y wrote: »
    What's the reliability like in the Mazda though? Have they worked through most of their problems?.........

They still have the diesel fluid DPF stuff into the engine oil design afaik so the potential to sh1t themselves is there.

Personally I'd not touch one given you want to knock 5 years out of a €15k example.

VAG stuff is likely the only petrol option for you and at the guts of 20k miles/annum you are in (more than just) diesel territory IMO.

Your €15k budget and 100k km mileage limit sort of hits a very unsweetspot of looking for a 4/5 year old car with relatively low mileage.

Volvo S60 tickle your fancy?

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    They still have the diesel fluid DPF stuff into the engine oil design afaik so the potential to sh1t themselves is there.

Personally I'd not touch one given you want to knock 5 years out of a €15k example.

VAG stuff is likely the only petrol option for you and at the guts of 20k miles/annum you are in (more than just) diesel territory IMO.

Your €15k budget and 100k km mileage limit sort of hits a very unsweetspot of looking for a 4/5 year old car with relatively low mileage.

Volvo S60 tickle your fancy?

I like the idea of them but every time I look at one online, it just doesn't jump out at me.
    I'm willing to up the km limit as long as the reliability is there.

Yeah, the S60 are a bit meh unless they are the R design version or whatever the sporty ish trim is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'm currently considering a 2015 VW Golf GT 2.0 TDi, should be within your budget on the mileage, looks well, is well equipped and 150 bhp. You'd have to go to the UK to purchase on your budget though, there are very few of them here anyway.

A Passat with the same engine should be within budget as well just about, or alternatively a Jetta. The Jetta are not popular in the UK so they appear to be great value used from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hoof_Harted

Moris Minor, great sturdy car.

• Advertisement

I've my eye on a few 3 series auto estate. 2014, about 150,000 km on the clock. Would I be mad going for it since I'm doing 30,000 km a year? I'd like 5 years out of it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

2012 530d

€15k would probably get you one all in from a uk dealer.

Advertisement