Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Kodiaq or Jeep Grand Cherokee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,836 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stand in front of a mirror. Take about a third of your budget in cash and set fire to it. Then punch yourself in the face for even contemplating buying a Jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Stand in front of a mirror. Take about a third of your budget in cash and set fire to it. Then punch yourself in the face for even contemplating buying a Jeep.

What a dopey post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy the jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Get the Jeep. You've made up your mind. We want regular updates on how you get on with it though. Prove the doubters wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'll be honest I drove most of there line up from 2008 and before and they were terribly bad, cheap plastics and just wear and year really bad.

• Advertisement

I'll be honest I drove most of there line up from 2008 and before and they were terribly bad, cheap plastics and just wear and year really bad.

Completely different animal back then

I have to make sure that I buy one with emissions not exceeding 190, once you are below that, road tax is 750 as opposed to 1200

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

You are comparing two utterly different vehicles.

I wouldn’t drive the Skoda personally as life is just too short. The Jeep is interesting but not sure I’d buy one. With a €40k budget for a 4x4 I’d look at a landcruiser first and foremost, and would be more concerned with spec than year.
    Anyway, you’ve obviously made up your mind, so good luck with the Jeep, it’s certainly the more attractive of the two you are contemplating.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OP, If youre going to buy a 4x4 thats over 750 to tax here, you may aswell buy something that resells well and people want.

Theres a load of 2013 X5's in the UK for that 22k, theyll depreciate slower and are better cars overall.

Gravelly wrote: »
    You are comparing two utterly different vehicles.

I wouldn’t drive the Skoda personally as life is just too short. The Jeep is interesting but not sure I’d buy one. With a €40k budget for a 4x4 I’d look at a landcruiser first and foremost, and would be more concerned with spec than year.
    Anyway, you’ve obviously made up your mind, so good luck with the Jeep, it’s certainly the more attractive of the two you are contemplating.

The landcruiser is a good bit more expensive and I've checked UK and Northern Ireland prices, no saving when import costs added on, most of the landcruisers here have quite high miles

• Advertisement

OP, If youre going to buy a 4x4 thats over 750 to tax here, you may aswell buy something that resells well and people want.

Theres a load of 2013 X5's in the UK for that 22k, theyll depreciate slower and are better cars overall.

I won't buy anything with emissions over 190, that leaves a choice of three in Northern Ireland, cheapest grand cherokee is a 2016 overland with 30k miles, cost is 44 k when vrt is paid, anything cheaper and emissions make road tax 1200

Same car is about 85 k brand new here

The X5 is not as nice in my eyes, BMW would be less reliable than jeep, their selling point is all about brand prestige, nothing wrong with that of course

The X5 is only a 2 litre anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

If you can afford it then get what you want, life is short. There are scant few things to put a smile on your face these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

All this talk, I think I want a Grand Cherokee too now.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I won't buy anything with emissions over 190, that leaves a choice of three in Northern Ireland, cheapest grand cherokee is a 2016 overland with 30k miles, cost is 44 k when vrt is paid, anything cheaper and emissions make road tax 1200

Same car is about 85 k brand new here

The X5 is not as nice in my eyes, BMW would be less reliable than jeep, their selling point is all about brand prestige, nothing wrong with that of course

The X5 is only a 2 litre anyway

The x5 is a 3 litre , if it was 2 it would be under 190, think youre mixing up some there.

Jeep has been owned by fiat for years and it shows, The kodiaq is the most reliable out of all the options and the jeep is by far the worst. From experience id gladly go as far as saying the fiat era jeeps are less reliable than land rovers

The x5 is a 3 litre , if it was 2 it would be under 190, think youre mixing up some there.

Jeep has been owned by fiat for years and it shows, The kodiaq is the most reliable out of all the options and the jeep is by far the worst. From experience id gladly go as far as saying the fiat era jeeps are less reliable than land rovers

You are sadly misinformed, Fiat only took over jeep in the past decade, prior to that they were chrysler, their tremendous improvement has coincided with the injection of fiat engines but they also use german technologies

Admittedly I was incorrect in saying that the X5 was not available in 3 litre but BMW are no great shakes in the reliability department, when you buy, you keep a generous maintenance budget, same as range rover

There are both 2.0 and 3.0 X5's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

What about a Land Rover ? are they even worse than a jeep ?
    I love the Evoque ... gorgeous bloody thing ...

TomSweeney wrote: »
    What about a Land Rover ? are they even worse than a jeep ?
    I love the Evoque ... gorgeous bloody thing ...

My mechanic says lovely to drive but you must have a repair budget in reserve

Again I prefer the look of the cherokee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

My mechanic says lovely to drive but you must have a repair budget in reserve

Again I prefer the look of the cherokee

I've heard that actually, one mechanic was saying it's the land rovers that keep him in business with maintenance :confused::eek:

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I've heard that actually, one mechanic was saying it's the land rovers that keep him in business with maintenance :confused::eek:

I owned a Defender over a decade ago, awful to drive and a terrible gearbox, they hold their value like you wouldn't believe however

Different animal to the discovery or range rover of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

never did get the love of land rovers. The discovery was a bad tractor and sitting in the back you had a great view of the roof lining.
    Range rovers are the best thing ever to drive as long as you do not own them. Everything fails.
    Defenders are not cars but some kind of sadistic utility vehicle prized by paris dakar wannabes.
    harsh perhaps....but fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair, a Disco 3 or 4 drives pretty much the same as a RR

There are both 2.0 and 3.0 X5's.

There are, the 2.0 is not worth remembering it exists though.

OP if youbthink the grand cherokee will cost you less to keep on the road and be less trouble than an X5 then it is you who are sadly misinformed, good luck with losing money i depreciation and maintainence.

There are, the 2.0 is not worth remembering it exists though.

OP if youbthink the grand cherokee will cost you less to keep on the road and be less trouble than an X5 then it is you who are sadly misinformed, good luck with losing money i depreciation and maintainence.[/QUOTE

maintainence for me is repairs, not running costs, BMW score very poorly for reliability, have you experience with a post 2011 grand cherokee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Personally have always loved the looks of the Jeep Cherokee, even going back a few generations. New version is a seriously impressive beast. The Kodiaq is a nice car too and Honest John certainly has a big crush on it. (I have never seen him give a 5 star rating for any car).

But the comparison is a bit false to begin with. The Jeep Grand Cheerokee is in a different vehicle class (or two) above the Kodiaq.

Personally would probably buy the Jeep, just to be different. In 10 years time you won't be able to trade in any Diesel anyway....soo you may as well enjoy the bit of luxury.

They will both be worth about 7 grand in 10 years so if you are thinking long-term it's a no brainer.

They will both be worth about 7 grand in 10 years so if you are thinking long-term it's a no brainer.

True, nothing ten year old has any value worth talking about and the cherokees I'm eyeing up have already lost half

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jeep without a shadow of a doubt.

Ones a jacked up golf, the others a 6 cylinder, genuine, SUV.

Running costs the only negative.

Eh... I can think of another. Their bad testing recently with NCAP would put me off anything from the Fiat/Chrysler line.

OP, I hope you don't intend on putting any loved ones in it, just because you think it comes better spec'd. You should be looking into a vehicle based on what matters. Toys are nice to have. But don't make the car.

Eh... I can think of another. Their bad testing recently with NCAP would put me off anything from the Fiat/Chrysler line.

OP, I hope you don't intend on putting any loved ones in it, just because you think it comes better spec'd. You should be looking into a vehicle based on what matters. Toys are nice to have. But don't make the car.

Sorry, I don't follow, I've two under three plus a fiancé so yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sorry, I don't follow, I've two under three plus a fiancé so yes

Jeep and fiat have been having very poor results over the last couple of production years. They have the worst safety ratings going.

Advertisement