Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wet front passenger side carpet in 2007 Honda Civic hatchback

Options
  • 09-01-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi i just noticed that there is a wet patch in the footwell of the passenger seat.The windows in my car fog up very badly and i was wondering what could be causing this. It doesn't seem that the car mat is wet it is just the carpet underneath in one spot. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the carpet is wet this is probably the cause of the fogging.
    Is your car losing coolant? The reason I ask is that if the heater matrix is leaking it would cause damp footwell.

I[d start by drying the car properly to make sure it's not just normal wetness dragged in from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Gtapo

biko wrote: »
    Is your car losing coolant? The reason I ask is that if the heater matrix is leaking it would cause damp footwell.

I[d start by drying the car properly to make sure it's not just normal wetness dragged in from outside.

The car was fogging up badly before the wet patch appeared. Could it be a bad door seal. When i put down some of the windows in the car it doesnt clear the water off them. Could this be bad window seals?. Thanks

biko wrote: »

There is a puddle of water underneath the car on the passenger as well. Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had a similar problem in a Skoda Octavia and it was leaves blocking a drain hole in the scuttle under the wipers. Used a long thin piece of metal to clear it out and all good. Put a dehumidifier in the car overnight and newspaper on the carpet and all good

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Borderfox wrote: »
    I had a similar problem in a Skoda Octavia and it was leaves blocking a drain hole in the scuttle under the wipers. Used a long thin piece of metal to clear it out and all good. Put a dehumidifier in the car overnight and newspaper on the carpet and all good

This is exactly what was causing it in mine (which was, incidentally, a Honda Civic, although it was a 2001-2005 model).

• Advertisement

Would that leave a pool of water underneath the car as well? . Thanks

I just checked underneath the drivers side carpet as well and there is a soaking wet patch on the sound deadening on that side as well and someone put newspaper underneath to try and soak up the water but that didn't work.what could be causing both sides to be wet. Thanks

Gtapo wrote: »
    Would that leave a pool of water underneath the car as well? . Thanks

I was getting a pool of water underneath the other side of the car and I finally worked out it was when I parked the car angled slightly down on the driver's side. The water that had built up on the passenger side due to being blocked was now all flowing over to the other side and coming out the drain hole there.

biketard wrote: »
    I was getting a pool of water underneath the other side of the car and I finally worked out it was when I parked the car angled slightly down on the driver's side. The water that had built up on the passenger side due to being blocked was now all flowing over to the other side and coming out the drain hole there.

How did you unblock the drain. Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Long thin piece of metal (knitting needle) and rummaged around in the water till I cleared the blockage

• Advertisement

Long thin piece of metal (knitting needle) and rummaged around in the water till I cleared the blockage

Was it the drain in front of the wiper blades that was blocked. The water i pour into that come spill out underneath the passenger side. Thanks

How did you unblock the drain. Thanks

I removed the passenger-side plastic grill that sits at the bottom of the windscreen (on the outside, running along the back of the bonnet). The passenger side part was easy to remove, whereas the driver's side would've been slightly more work [ I think the only difference was having to also remove a windscreen wiper, but mine was sort of stuck], but that was OK in my case cos I only needed to remove one side). As soon as that was off, I was able to just scoop out all the crap that had built up and completely blocked the drain hole with my hand.

If I remember right, the plastic grill was only held in with like 3 screws, but remember this was a previous model to yours and they are quite different.

This is the part I'm referring to (I don't even know which car this picture is from, but hopefully it shows which part I'm talking about).

7659-12790-215487.jpg

By the way, this might not be what's causing it in your case, especially if you are seeing water come out the drain hole on the passenger side. Worth checking out though.

When I was investigating mine, I heard that water can come up through a hole in the wheel arch, for example.

I checked and it seems to be unblocked. The sound deadening is wet on the passenger and driver side but it doesn't seem to be running down from anywhere because nowhere around the wet patch just in front of the seats both sides is wet. It is wet where a seam is for the floor. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

I checked and it seems to be unblocked. The sound deadening is wet on the passenger and driver side but it doesn't seem to be running down from anywhere because nowhere around the wet patch just in front of the seats both sides is wet. It is wet where a seam is for the floor. Thanks
    I'm hurting in here,if it's not drainage blocked,heater matrix, windscreen,then has to be seals

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The heater matrix in those is under the gear lever so could well flood both sides. Is your coolant level down?

The water draining from the passenger side could be the air conditioner, which is normal.

Advertisement