Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coolant

Options
  • 11-01-2019 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

Will a car only lose coolant through a leak?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

No, it can "burn" coolant off if there is a way for the coolant to enter the combustion chambers, or it can leak into the oil way - this is most often due to head-gasket failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Hmmm...a leak almost sounds preferable!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A leak is preferable. I dipped the oil in my old Jaaag a couple of weeks before Christmas to discover it was brown, muddy and overfull by around a gallon. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

jimgoose wrote: »
    A leak is preferable. I dipped the oil in my old Jaaag a couple of weeks before Christmas to discover it was brown, muddy and overfull by around a gallon. :mad:
    Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bad

Very. I scrapped it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you clarify your question OP?
    Are you having a problem?
    If so, what car/model/year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Coolant is a closed loop system, slightly pressurised too.

You can loose coolant if coolant exits this system.

Common faults include.

Pin holes in radiators, old worn hoses / hose connectors, water pump on its last legs, Expansion Tank damaged seals, Expansion Tank Cap not on correctly or needs replacing.

Coolant be utterly easy to locate a leak (if big) or absolutely mind blowingly horrible to locate. Rarely in between :)

Id check the hoses first and foremost for any breaks or damage and just see if they are old looking (worn). Check the expansion tank for leaks or anything in gaps. There should be a bit if pressure when you open the expansion tank ( not a huge amount but a bit when cold)

There are kits you can get for testing the head gasket isnt leaking into the coolant system, they are 99.7% accurate and can be got for between 15-20 Euro. Simple kit to run just changes colour on detection of combustion gas in the expansion tank.

Hopefully its minor. It can even be something silly like an airlock in a hose and can be squeezed out.- cost. nothing.

It's a 161 Focus ST diesel.

I noticed it was a bit low on coolant before Christmas, mildly lower again now. Not being lost at a massive rate.

Looking at the hoses, all looks dry and not worn.

I can't even open the expansion tank. It turns a few times then stops.

Any tell tale signs that it's leaking into the engine?

I only bought it in June so full service done then in a main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    It's a 161 Focus ST diesel.

I noticed it was a bit low on coolant before Christmas, mildly lower again now. Not being lost at a massive rate.

Looking at the hoses, all looks dry and not worn.

I can't even open the expansion tank. It turns a few times then stops.

Any tell tale signs that it's leaking into the engine?

I only bought it in June so full service done then in a main dealer

I would get the system pressure tested asap - as posted above it might be a pin hole leak or poor seal which lets vapor out so your not seeing a leak - fingers crossed

Got the tank open, little bit of pressure. Oil isn't milky.

I'll get it to the mechanic as soon as I'm able

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Just to jump on this thread..
    If exhaust gases were leaking into coolant and the test proved that was the case (changed from blue to green)and then you think you have fixed the problem,,if you test it again would Co2 exhaust gases still be detected.. do you have to flush the whole system and refil with coolant and then test again!?

Advertisement