Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Process for 3rd provisional licence

Options
  • 28-12-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

I've been given a set of driving lessons as a Christmas gift but the issue is I don't currently hold a provisional licence.

I've had two provisionals previously but never took lessons or a driving test. What I'm wondering about is the process for obtaining the third provisional licence.

I understand that I must apply for a driving test but is it then just a case of getting a form from the Motor Tax office and providing the appropriate details?

Does anyone know how long this process takes approximately?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Firstly, the Motor Tax Office no longer handle this service. For the last couple of years, this has been taken over by the National Driver Licencing Service (NDLS). Secondly, the old provisional licence is gone and you're now after your third 'Learner Permit' (not just being pedantic, it may speed up any contact with the NDLS). Thirdly, the paper provisional/ permit is now gone and you get a credit card style permit which requires you present yourself at the NDLS office and have your photo taken digitally there so no need for any passport photos.

The major question is whether your last provisional/ permit has expired for 5 years or longer? If it has, then you're back to square one and you have to complete a theory test.

Assuming that your last permit/ provisional has expired less than 5 years ago then you can renew it without having to repeat the theory test.

Since you haven't taken a driving test less than two years ago, you will have to make a driving test booking. You can do this despite the fact that the last permit/ provisional has expired. You won't be given a test date immediately but you can use the booking acknowledgement to apply for the permit.

As regards the NDLS appointment, you can book an appointment at your local centre or you can arrive on spec but you are not guaranteed a spot and you're not guaranteed to be seen very quickly (although most report that they are seen and usually quickly enough but if your own risk). They are actually open over Christmas (including tomorrow afaik)

Next, if you are still based in Newcastle (as it appears from your avatar) then your Irish permit will be invalid over there. Learner permits are only valid in the country they are issued and nowhere else.

If your address has changed since your last permit, you will have to provide *valid proof

If your surname has changed or you wish to make any spelling correction or adjustment to your name, you'll need *valid proof.

You will have to provide some kind of proof of your PPSN, as (it appears) you have not visited the NDLS before.

If you have had laser eye surgery (or your eyesight has improved for some other reason and you no longer need glasses) then you will have to provide a valid eyesight report to remove the 01 notation. if nothing has changed with your eyesight, you need to do nothing.

If you answer yes to any of the driver fitness questions (except the corrective lenses question) then you will need to provide a valid medical report.

If you have lost your last permit, you will need to make the declaration in the relevant place on the application form and have a Garda sign and stamp it.

The form you need is a D201 application for a learner permit which you can find and print on the website and bring it with you to the NDLS office.

Any other info you may find here https://www.ndls.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

cantdecide wrote: »
    Firstly, the Motor Tax Office no longer handle this service. For the last couple of years, this has been taken over by the National Driver Licencing Service (NDLS). Secondly, the old provisional licence is gone and you're now after your third 'Learner Permit' (not just being pedantic, it may speed up any contact with the NDLS). Thirdly, the paper provisional/ permit is now gone and you get a credit card style permit which requires you present yourself at the NDLS office and have your photo taken digitally there so no need for any passport photos.

The major question is whether your last provisional/ permit has expired for 5 years or longer? If it has, then you're back to square one and you have to complete a theory test.

Assuming that your last permit/ provisional has expired less than 5 years ago then you can renew it without having to repeat the theory test.

Since you haven't taken a driving test less than two years ago, you will have to make a driving test booking. You can do this despite the fact that the last permit/ provisional has expired. You won't be given a test date immediately but you can use the booking acknowledgement to apply for the permit.

As regards the NDLS appointment, you can book an appointment at your local centre or you can arrive on spec but you are not guaranteed a spot and you're not guaranteed to be seen very quickly (although most report that they are seen and usually quickly enough but if your own risk). They are actually open over Christmas (including tomorrow afaik)

Next, if you are still based in Newcastle (as it appears from your avatar) then your Irish permit will be invalid over there. Learner permits are only valid in the country they are issued and nowhere else.

If your address has changed since your last permit, you will have to provide *valid proof

If your surname has changed or you wish to make any spelling correction or adjustment to your name, you'll need *valid proof.

You will have to provide some kind of proof of your PPSN, as (it appears) you have not visited the NDLS before.

If you have had laser eye surgery (or your eyesight has improved for some other reason and you no longer need glasses) then you will have to provide a valid eyesight report to remove the 01 notation. if nothing has changed with your eyesight, you need to do nothing.

If you answer yes to any of the driver fitness questions (except the corrective lenses question) then you will need to provide a valid medical report.

If you have lost your last permit, you will need to make the declaration in the relevant place on the application form and have a Garda sign and stamp it.

The form you need is a D201 application for a learner permit which you can find and print on the website and bring it with you to the NDLS office.

Any other info you may find here https://www.ndls.ie/

Hi cantdecide sorry to hijack an old thread! I was hoping you could help me with a query I have.

My second permit is about to expire in January however I only have 3 EDT lessons done. Do you know if I can register for my driving test months in advance (for when I do have the 12 lessons done), or when I attempt to book my driving test will it trigger online that i haven’t them done?

I’m unsure as to what my options are here, I’ll ring the NDLS anyway but since you gave such a helpful reply above I was hoping you might be able to guide me. Thanks in advance! :)

bleuhh wrote: »
    Hi cantdecide sorry to hijack an old thread! I was hoping you could help me with a query I have.

My second permit is about to expire in January however I only have 3 EDT lessons done. Do you know if I can register for my driving test months in advance (for when I do have the 12 lessons done), or when I attempt to book my driving test will it trigger online that i haven’t them done?

I’m unsure as to what my options are here, I’ll ring the NDLS anyway but since you gave such a helpful reply above I was hoping you might be able to guide me. Thanks in advance! :)

You can apply for your test before you complete the 12 EDT lessons, you just don't get on the waiting list till your last lesson is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

You can apply for your test before you complete the 12 EDT lessons, you just don't get on the waiting list till your last lesson is done.

Ah excellent I didn’t realise that. Thanks a million for your help :)

Advertisement