Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing the car

• 11-06-2018 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is brought up a lot

I got a new-to-me car, I am going to look after it.

I've read on previous threads that I need
    - 2 mitts
    - 2 buckets
    - shampoo
    - drying cloth

Can this stuff be bought locally (like Halfords?) or should I be sourcing it online? Obviously a bucket is a bucket :D

Also, any recommendations for a pressure washer?

I will figure out polishing/waxing further down the line!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

I would add grit guards to your buckets too.
    Detailing Shed have a 2 bucket and guard kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you're going to wash and dry the car thoroughly by hand anyway, you don't really need a pressure washer, a regular hose or buckets of clean water will do.

Pressure washers are fine for getting heavy dirt off commercials or plant but they only turn grit into an abrasive anyway so not good for your pride and joy. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Pops_20

A hose and 2 bucket method will work fine, but a pressure washer makes it easier and definitely doesn't damage the paint, as long as you use the correct attachment and keep a reasonable distance from the car. The pressure lifts the dirt and grit away from the car, it doesn't drive it in.

You can pick up a decent Karcher pressure washer for less than 200 euro and it will last you years and years without any maintenance. With a pressure washer you can also use a snowfoam lance which allows you to pre-wash the car before making any contact which will further reduce the chance of inflicting swirl marks (along with the 2 bucket method).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Great, thanks all

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

FYI, Aldi have a decent enough looking pressure washer coming up:
    https://www.aldi.ie/compact-pressure-washer/p/083423208705100

Compact, powerful enough (more than powerful for washing a car), and an aluminium pump like nilfisks have (more reliable than the plastic ones Karcher use).... it also looks like a nilfisk.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh brilliant, thanks! I'll try pick one up

• Registered Users Posts: 14 porsche987

Pops_20 wrote: »
    A hose and 2 bucket method will work fine, but a pressure washer makes it easier and definitely doesn't damage the paint, as long as you use the correct attachment and keep a reasonable distance from the car. The pressure lifts the dirt and grit away from the car, it doesn't drive it in.

You can pick up a decent Karcher pressure washer for less than 200 euro and it will last you years and years without any maintenance. With a pressure washer you can also use a snowfoam lance which allows you to pre-wash the car before making any contact which will further reduce the chance of inflicting swirl marks (along with the 2 bucket method).

Agreed, a decent pressure washer will take care of the prep work before using the 2 buckets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd recommend a Nilfisk pressure washer. They are modestly priced and the one I have is 7 years old and never given a day's trouble. They regularly come up on the Lightning deals on Amazon or on special offer on Argos. I'd also recommend buying a snow foam lance.

Picked up the Aldi one over the weekend. Will give a blast tonight!

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd recommend a Nilfisk pressure washer. They are modestly priced and the one I have is 7 years old and never given a day's trouble. They regularly come up on the Lightning deals on Amazon or on special offer on Argos. I'd also recommend buying a snow foam lance.

Looking at the Aldi one, i'd almost certainly say they're the same as the nilfisk one. Aldi are usually great with warranties too.

• Advertisement

We've been told to conserve water so haven't tried it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looking at the Aldi one, i'd almost certainly say they're the same as the nilfisk one. Aldi are usually great with warranties too.

I don't think Nilfisk make power washers for Aldi. Nilfisk fit metal pumps to theirs which the Workzone one in Aldi doesn't have afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

+1 on the Aldi Warranties. They're absolutely fantastic and will literally hand out cash on the spot if you please. Only had to return an item once and it was a quick and painless process.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think Nilfisk make power washers for Aldi. Nilfisk fit metal pumps to theirs which the Workzone one in Aldi doesn't have afaik.

From the Aldi description:
    1 x Reliable aluminium pump & stable spray gun connecting system

AFAIK the nilfisk ones are aluminium too, rather than the cheaper plastic alternatives.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 137 ✭✭toyotafan

I saw a mall Karcher at B&Q with price was appx. €60. I have no idea for that Karcher. How do you guys think about Karcher brand with others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Nilfisk for me also.

I have mine 8 years.

Nilfisk C 110 bar Pressure Washer (includes Patio cleaner) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTZWJWA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_45FgCbYFK1A74

Down to £66

Advertisement