Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunstroke 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Time to get the cheap printed band name Fruit of the Loom black tshirts out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Doubt it will be dalymount though.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

I actually got a pretty sweet g'n'r t shirt for a 5er in penny's last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I know itll be very unlikely, but Musgrave Park would be very handy for this. For me anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

First one was savage, actually got very badly sunburnt on the day.. so almost lived up to the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Was at the one in 94 https://www.setlist.fm/festival/1994/sunstroke-1994-53d69305.html

It rained in the evening but what a lineup :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Venues ???
    A field like Marley Park or Malahide Castle

Stadium like RDS or Croke Park (with a ****ing massive lineup)

This is great news l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Fella i know has seen the announcement coming out at 7pm. Faith No More and Deftones. If that is true then Holy fcuk!!!

Saw a list of bands from a poster here on download fest site...if it's true, its be insanely good

Just saw pic, 13/14 June at punchestown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jaysus. Sunstroke 1993 was my first ever gig, shame it's not in Dalymount.

Mushy wrote: »
    Just saw pic, 13/14 June at punchestown

Looking at hotels for them dates

Seems cheap atm

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Looking at hotels for them dates

Seems cheap atm

http://www.pinkmooncamping.co.uk/accommodation.asp

Saw a list of bands from a poster here on download fest site...if it's true, its be insanely good

Whose on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Surprised its taken this long for a metal fest to come back here, they are big business and the genre has never been as popular.

Also clever doing it in June when there are plenty of big rock/metal festivals in Europe

Hope that's just the initial lineup, cause you're not gonna shift huge tickets with that lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Hopefully it's all true then

Aside from 3 or 4 bands I wouldn't be arsed. Hopefully the ones I want to see are all playing same day.

That aint too bad, i wonder what will the capacity be 20k?

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Hope that's just the initial lineup, cause you're not gonna shift huge tickets with that lineup.

You mean you don't want to see Bowling for Soup??!?!?

Some good bands there especially Helmet and Bitch Falcon, but no major ticket sellers outside of Faith No More.

You mean you don't want to see Bowling for Soup??!?!?

Some good bands there especially Helmet and Bitch Falcon, but no major ticket sellers outside of Faith No More.

It reads like day one of a two day festival, hopefully system and korn for the other night since they're at download that weekend

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Is it the same weekend as Download?

Is it the same weekend as Download?

Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I swore I would never go within an asses roar of Punchestown after AC/DC in 09, but I'd be severely tempted for Faith No More. Add in Deftones and Killing Joke as well...

That being said I think they are being ambitious. How many tickets are they planning to shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Fn M.... hell yeh !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Arghus wrote: »
    I swore I would never go within an asses roar of Punchestown after AC/DC in 09, but I'd be severely tempted for Faith No More. Add in Deftones and Killing Joke as well...

Was that the one where traffic was at a standstill miles out of the town, and people had to get off the busses and walk?

God, ten years ago!

I booked the citywest for €129 for the Sat night

Not doing camping bollocks. Surely they will have busses going in and out from different spots in Dublin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Was that the one where traffic was at a standstill miles out of the town, and people had to get off the busses and walk?

God, ten years ago!

I was nearly crushed to death on the way out and got back to Dublin at 7AM, yes, that one.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    I was nearly crushed to death on the way out and got back to Dublin at 7AM, yes, that one.

Jaysus, what happened? I have almost no memory of getting back to Dublin, other than a vague memory of ambling around drunk and finding a bus

That aint too bad, i wonder what will the capacity be 20k?

I'd say maybe less. Not the bands that will attract the casual ticket seller too much, but a lineup that might get people there for a weekend for the craic.

God, ten years ago!

Christ I somehow blacked that part out. Was absolutely ****faced by the time I got into the grounds because we necked all our smuggling vodka on the huge walk in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

if I could get Deftones, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and a couple more on the same day, that's be great. not enough there for me to bother with a whole weekend/camping.

Hopefully that's just the first wave and there will be more added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why can't it be a camping festival?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Pink Moon will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Got tickets for Download the same weekend, but will be interesting to see how this goes. The line up is certainly underwhelming even by a large metal festival's exhausted inventory's stretch to cover for two nights. Deftones are a cure for insomnia.

Fantasy scenario, here, but chances of it picking up some of Download's Sunday bands? System of a Down, Korn, Disturbed etc. If they nabbed System and Korn it'd turn this thing into quite the happening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Its a very odd mix match of everything genre wise i feel like they may try to do too much for everyone and end up falling short, at the gates and gojira will be nice to tick off the old bucket list though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Got tickets for Download the same weekend, but will be interesting to see how this goes. The line up is certainly underwhelming even by a large metal festival's exhausted inventory's stretch to cover for two nights. Deftones are a cure for insomnia.

Fantasy scenario, here, but chances of it picking up some of Download's Sunday bands? System of a Down, Korn, Disturbed etc. If they nabbed System and Korn it'd turn this thing into quite the happening...

System busy elsewhere that weekend.

Really wanted system, think only hope is that they are supporting whoever plays Slane.

Thought you were talking about Download there. Not like ireland has been inundated with festivals catering to these bands over the last quarter century either.

• Advertisement

Thought you were talking about Download there. Not like ireland has been inundated with festivals catering to these bands over the last quarter century either.
    No, it hasn't, but by any measure the general feeling amongst the global metal community is that the availability of big, fresh draws for festivals is becoming more and more of a scarce resource, with many of these festivals reluctant to give other newer bands virgin to headlining the bump. That's all I was getting at, pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

Excellent - FNM, the Hu, Frank Carter, Helmet, Thumper :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

No, it hasn't, but by any measure the general feeling amongst the global metal community is that the availability of big, fresh draws for festivals is becoming more and more of a scarce resource, with many of these festivals reluctant to give other newer bands virgin to headlining the bump. That's all I was getting at, pretty much.

Think that's more of a Download problem than anywhere else tbh.

Think that's more of a Download problem than anywhere else tbh.
    It's probably the worst example of it, granted, but it has been levelled at plenty of other festivals. It's really no secret that there's a certain amount of public perception regarding metal festivals line ups being the same age old acts. Happens across the board, but metal is notorious for it.

Hoping for a few surprises when they officially announce it at 7pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Seems whoever was in control of the webpages got lazy.

Line Up

It is a camping festival.

sunstrokeireland.com/tickets

Well that's all true, but for a festival that'll be small, it was never going to push out the boat. The headliners there are better than most sub-headline groups for the big fests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

"Refsued".
    The webmaster evidently didn't care a lot.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

Id rather see them start small and start to build it up a larger festival over the years.
    Ill def be going anyways

• Advertisement
Advertisement