Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It doesn't really help the position with Dublin drivers, lads down the country acting cute and applying for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Is there that many of them doing it though? I know personally that if I lived in Cork, I wouldn't move to Dublin for three years, in the hopes I'd get to transfer. But maybe someone younger than me would.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

it’s not acting cute it’s called using your loaf and going where the work is. After all a transfer is not a guaranteed thing , you just take your chances. An awful lot of stars have to align to get a inter depot transfer. It can take years and years. Are you advocating for Dublin jobs for Dublin based people only? Plenty of Dubs transferred to driving jobs down the country, should they have been told “ Sorry there, locals only”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I got my rejection email today. Kinda knew it was coming but disappointing all the same.

Best of luck to those of you still in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Same, oh well. We tried.

• Advertisement

Ah sorry to hear that. Keep an eye out for the next time and give it another shot. It'll be easier after you've been through through the process this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

Hard luck. There will be another recruitment campaign soon I'd say. Where did you apply for. I didn't here anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

I still haven't heard anything back. I did the assessment on the 13th of June .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

TBH I'd say a few would be, if you lived Wicklow/Kildare/Meath/Carlow/Kilkenny etc and took Dublin with a view to getting back to Athlone, Portlaoisse, Waterford, Drogheda. It might work as the commute would be reasonable even if you didn't get the transfer back. Also if they allow you to trade shifts while keeping within your limits or rest etc. it could really work out.

I am going to assume they will not allow an outflow of seniority from any depot so that might be why you could be waiting years.

Hearing emails going out including non Dublin applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cliveyboi

Hey folks, just wondering what feedback people have gotten from OPC, both successful and unsuccessful applications. I've been unsuccessful and my feedback was SJT-above average score, RAAT-above average score, mini SCAAT-average score. My other half had the same results/feedback and had been successful. We're also both qualified train drivers in the UK. Just looking at getting a gauge of how they make these decisions.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17 leftblackeyeboy

Got a feedback email today with not great results so I am expecting a rejection email soon to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hector87

I got an email also saying I met the online assesment standard but i knew that as i got called in for the assesments in inchicore, still no word from that test but wouldnt say i done well as candidates have already sat a further test..

The person I know got average on all tests and judgements are not typical of a locomotive driver (SJT) but still meet the standard. They just assumed it was a rejection email but then saw its been passed to IE.

They also applied before and didn't meet the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Bah, rejected today!

I got that feedback email today as well, and I've already got the email to say I'm through for an interview, and have a medical scheduled also.

Looks like the OPC have a set deadline when they send the feedback, separate to Irish Rail's process.

How long have you been driving trains? I presume you did these same tests in the UK as well? I've read about even further tests for the UK market.

I'd have presumed the competition is even fiercer in the UK than Ireland, but I could be wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hector87

Thats a goid sign best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

I also got my results today and thankfully have passed .They did give me feedback to say my accuracy was good but to speed up

Could possibly hamper me going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Just1more

I passed for Cork with

LDSJT above average

RAAT above average

Mini SCAAT average (both for speed and accuracy).

Kind of scratching my head on the SCAAT result as I got the impression I got much further down the pages than most, but I guess not!

No word from Irish Rail yet.

I wouldn't read too much into it lads. I got the same as you iv met the standard on the online tests and just have to wait and see if Irish rail get onto you now same as the last time I applied. I think it'll be more down to demand in the area you have chosen rather than your speed in the tests. I think a pass is a pass with it to be honest. Your better off forget about it for now until you hear from Irish rail and hopefully you get good news then concentrate on the first face to face assessments which isn't too bad to be honest just do a bit of homework and practicing and you'll be grand 👍👍. Best of luck

Anyone on here get feedback about the onboard customer service jobs ?

Myself and a few of the lads applied for it, and all got emails from opc today, giving positive feedback, but stating that this doesn't mean we are guaranteed an interview.

We all got different feedback, but none of us got an unsuccessful email. Anyone get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beebop20

Any tips for interview for station controller job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cliveyboi

Not been driving long, approx 15 months, qualified for about 9 months now(EU train driving license).

I'd say competition is similar enough, when I applied here in the UK there were about 15,000 applicants I think. The tests are broadly similar too, although some companies require a higher score in some tests as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Does anyone Have a timeframe for hearing back about the driver hr interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jaybro7

Generally quite quick to hear back after first round interviews to organise the second round.

if you’ve already had second round then again they can be quite quick to arrange medicals and references.

After that is when it all slows right down in hearing anything back I’m afraid 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

I passed the 3 online tests for driving and the opc emailed me the other day saying they were passing it on to irish rail. Anyone know the time-frame for when IR get in touch. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jaybro7

I am guessing you’ve applied outside of Dublin? If so your in the same boat as a lot of people who are waiting to hear.

Advertisement