Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chief of Staff

Options
  • 02-04-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Did anyone hear the Cos being interviewed on Marian Finucane show this morning. Usual poor interview from her and he easily batted away any akward questions. The only text read out was complaining about our lack of an air defence capability. Personally I believe we should have our own fast jet force or come to an arrangement like the Baltic states and invite someone else to help is provide one. Either way, it is a disgrace that with 90% of transatlantic traffic using our airspace, we have no ability whatsoever to police it. If there was ever to be a 9/11 type situation in our airspace, unlikely I think but however, it wont be a great consolation to say we have 4-500 troops on UN duty in the middle east
    What do others think?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

listened to it. for a veteran broadcaster earning 6 figure salaries she is truly terrible.
    short direct and oft' silly questioning, ignorantly cutting across him when he was in the middle of his answers to change subject.
    he handled her crass approach well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Did anyone hear the Cos being interviewed on Marian Finucane show this morning. Usual poor interview from her and he easily batted away any akward questions. The only text read out was complaining about our lack of an air defence capability. Personally I believe we should have our own fast jet force or come to an arrangement like the Baltic states and invite someone else to help is provide one. Either way, it is a disgrace that with 90% of transatlantic traffic using our airspace, we have no ability whatsoever to police it. If there was ever to be a 9/11 type situation in our airspace, unlikely I think but however, it wont be a great consolation to say we have 4-500 troops on UN duty in the middle east
    What do others think?

The arrangement the Baltic states have is called NATO - I can't seeing us joining NATO.

As for a fast jet force - I'd love to see us with one (production of the Hunter is being re-started in India - beautiful looking jet!!) but realistically we don't need it, and the costs would be prohibitive unless we're going to either give up doing everything else or increase the defence budget by about 250%.

Most trans-Atlantic traffic crosses our area of interest, it doesn't cross our sovereign airspace.

We'd be better spending any extra cash in the defence budget on ships and beefing up our maritime patrol capabilities.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Step 1: build up ground based air surveillance radar capabilities to a military level. Its our territory out there, we need to be able to "see" the international airspace above it.

Morpheus wrote: »
    Step 1: build up ground based air surveillance radar capabilities to a military level. Its our territory out there, we need to be able to "see" the international airspace above it.

I'd say there's a good opportunity to do that now - just as long as one of the stations is in Kerry!! Promise to build a good road to it and the Healy-Raes will be on board :D

In fact, promise to make Farranfore the fast jet base, with a squadron or two plus all the allied infra-structure and 'Rae Nua' will see it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

Jawgap wrote: »
    The arrangement the Baltic states have is called NATO - I can't seeing us joining NATO.

As for a fast jet force - I'd love to see us with one (production of the Hunter is being re-started in India - beautiful looking jet!!) but realistically we don't need it, and the costs would be prohibitive unless we're going to either give up doing everything else or increase the defence budget by about 250%.

Most trans-Atlantic traffic crosses our area of interest, it doesn't cross our sovereign airspace.

We'd be better spending any extra cash in the defence budget on ships and beefing up our maritime patrol capabilities.

The Hawker Hunter? Why would India re start production for such an old design.

• Advertisement

sparky42 wrote: »
    The Hawker Hunter? Why would India re start production for such an old design.

Awwwww f&*K IT!!!!!!

Fúckety fúck........

Just re-checked the story and it was an April Fool :o:o:o

fúck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

Awwwww f&*K IT!!!!!!

Fúckety fúck........

Just re-checked the story and it was an April Fool :o:o:o

fúck!

Just checking, I mean I knew India's procurement system was a mess but didn't think it was that bad!:p:D;)

sparky42 wrote: »
    Just checking, I mean I knew India's procurement system was a mess but didn't think it was that bad!:p:D;)

It was a well constructed story......still can't believe I fell for it!

http://hushkit.net/2016/04/01/super-hunter-classic-british-fighter-jet-to-return-to-production-in-india/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

The Hunter is STILL one of THE most beautiful jet aircraft ever built........especially those built before all the mods made it a lumpy ol' ADEN gun-bus.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

It was a well constructed story......still can't believe I fell for it!

http://hushkit.net/2016/04/01/super-hunter-classic-british-fighter-jet-to-return-to-production-in-india/

A "Langoor"?

Must be some Corkastani influence in the design team there..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement