Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corp Cadet + Asthma?

Options
  • 03-05-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I have mild asthma, it's not really existent but I technically still have it/have inhalers as a precaution

I was hoping to apply for the air corp cadetship but now I'm thinking asthma will disqualify me, is that the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kerastes

Seanf999 wrote: »
    I have mild asthma, it's not really existent but I technically still have it/have inhalers as a precaution

I was hoping to apply for the air corp cadetship but now I'm thinking asthma will disqualify me, is that the case?

I dont know the process for the Air Corp Cadetship. But the army, you can essentially neglect to mention certain things which just so happened to slip your mind on the day....

Inhalers and asthma are usually a big no, as explosives can mess with that pretty hard. If you can avoid mentioning it, do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Seanf999 wrote:

Choose a different career, asthma is a no no. Sorry to be blunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Kerastes wrote: »
    I dont know the process for the Air Corp Cadetship. But the army, you can essentially neglect to mention certain things which just so happened to slip your mind on the day....

Inhalers and asthma are usually a big no, as explosives can mess with that pretty hard. If you can avoid mentioning it, do.
    If you lie on your application to join the DF about your health condition, you will be thrown out of the DF. Do NOT follow Kerastes' advice on this. Wilfully failing to disclose a health condition is regarded as the same as lying and you will be chopped. If you wish to become a pilot, ring the aeromedical centre in the Mater Hospital and they will tell you exactly what is allowed and what isn't, because you have to be able to pass a Class 1 medical to be a commercial or military pilot in Ireland.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kerastes

Stovepipe wrote: »
    If you lie on your application to join the DF about your health condition, you will be thrown out of the DF. Do NOT follow Kerastes' advice on this. Wilfully failing to disclose a health condition is regarded as the same as lying and you will be chopped. If you wish to become a pilot, ring the aeromedical centre in the Mater Hospital and they will tell you exactly what is allowed and what isn't, because you have to be able to pass a Class 1 medical to be a commercial or military pilot in Ireland.

regards
    Stovepipe

Ok, yes you are correct. This is technically better advice. Will get you in far less trouble.

However he essentially asked how to get in with Asthma, which I think (but can't confirm) is usually a disbarring autoimmune disorder and literally everyone has something that may be disbarring when applying to the DF. I offered my best advice, to the limit of my knowledge which happens to be that some people just neglect to mention some things. And some very much do get away with it. Whether he's willing to risk being chopped in the future or not getting in at all is up to him.

The DF aren't as much like the UK with the JSP950 though (which I have more experience with). So it is handled more case by case. I'm unsure about Asthma specifically, so it is best to find out the exact medical standards before doing anything else.

Thanks !

Advertisement