Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mount Argus parish records

• 20-08-2015 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Are the parish records for Mount Argus in Dublin online?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I dont believe Mount Argus was a parish.. what timeframe are you interested in ?

"..constituted as a parish in 1974..." see here (dublindiocese.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

My grandmother was baptised there in 1917. Can't find any record.

My grandmother was baptised there in 1917. Can't find any record.

for that timeframe I'd try Rathmines, or a civil cert - the NLI films for Rathmines cover up to 1906, the NLI site and the records on IrishGenealogy seem to cover the same range.

for reference - these are the nearby parishes, all too 'recent' for NLI films :

Harold's Cross - Constituted 1935 from Rathmines and a small section from Rathgar and Terenure
    Rathgar - Constituted in 1882 from Rathmines
    Terenure - Constituted in 1894 from Rathfarnham

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You could try calling them. I wanted info once on someone who put up a plaque in the church and they were very helpful on the phone.

Genealogy Forum Mod

shanew wrote: »
    for that timeframe I'd try Rathmines

Tried. They said all their records had been sent to Rathmines.
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    You could try calling them.

Tried Rathmines. They knew nothing of any Mount Argus records.

A last hope was that they might somehow have found their way online.

Surprising, seeing as they were the DMP church and are now the Garda church.

• Advertisement

But did you call Mount Argus themselves?

http://www.mountargusparish.ie/contact-us/

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    But did you call Mount Argus themselves?

http://www.mountargusparish.ie/contact-us/

I did. They said their records had been sent to Rathmines. Rathmines knows nothing of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'd get back onto Mount Argus, tell them what response you got from Rathmines, and maybe they can tell you who to contact.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I did; they didn't. Don't worry, I was just asking here in case the records had gone online and someone knew.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I did; they didn't. Don't worry, I was just asking here in case the records had gone online and someone knew.

Sorry about that - it's frustrating the lack of help you received from them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    Sorry about that - it's frustrating the lack of help you received from them.

They really weren't unhelpful, the records just seem to have dropped through a black hole somehow. Maybe they'll reappear online.

I wonder if the Diocesan archives have any ideas? Their website says they don't have that particular parish but it's probably worth a phone call.

Genealogy Forum Mod

can I just double check something I'm not clear on - you mentioned asking Rathmines about Mount Argus records, but have you looked through, or asked for a search, of the records for Rathmines ?

Since Mt. Argus was effectively a chapel of ease for the parish, any records should have been noted in the Rathmines registers - usually transferred from notes made by the priest that carried out the baptism.

shanew wrote: »
    can I just double check something I'm not clear on - you mentioned asking Rathmines about Mount Argus records, but have you looked through, or asked for a search, of the records for Rathmines ?

Since Mt. Argus was effectively a chapel of ease for the parish, any records should have been noted in the Rathmines registers - usually transferred from notes made by the priest that carried out the baptism.

Yes, and Rathmines have found another record for me, but they don't know anything about Mount Argus records. I was in a few times, thinking if I asked different people someone might know, but no, they know nothing of Mount Argus records.

Originally I rang Mount Argus about this - I have the date and everything, there's even a card from the time, I know the name of the sponsor and the person being baptised. They said they had no records, and their records had been sent to Rathmines at some stage in recent years. Then I went to Rathmines (where I'd been to ask for other things) and they said they didn't have the Mount Argus records.

It's odd; I also can't find my uncle's baptism - his parents were living in Baggot Street, so the baptism could have been in Haddington Road or in Rathmines, where his mother was staying with her mother after a difficult birth. No sign of the baptism anywhere - Joseph Plunkett was his godfather…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Qualitymark - Lower Baggot Street was in the parish of Saint Andrew, Westland Row. I do not know if your relative was in Upper or Lower, but Lower has much more houses.
    As for Mount Argus, as Shanew has said, the records of baptisms there, were not Mount Argus records, they were Rathmines records. Asking for Mount Argus records will only confuse the register custodians.

Thanks - Upper Baggot Street, unfortunately, near the hospital.

It's a pity the Rathmines records aren't put online. I think I might have a better chance if I could search for myself.

Advertisement