Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Record Wicklow

Options
  • 07-08-2015 4:55pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a death record for John Shea, I would think in Bray, Co. Wicklow.

He was married there in 1881 and had 4 children born there between 1882 -1889.

I can find the family on the 1911 Census in Bray but not on the 1901 census. I found my g-g-grandmother (John Shea's daughter) working as servant in a big house on the seafront but not the rest of the family.

In 1911 they are know as O'Shea and the head of the household is Mary O'Shea, she is not marked as widow so I am not sure if John is died as this stage. I do know he died young.

Roots Ireland doesn't seem to carry death records for Wicklow. Is there anywhere else I could look without having to spend the day searching the GRO?

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

you can narrow the search a little on the online indexes (GRO & FamilySearch) but you will probably need to try a few certs from the GRO to see if you can find the correct record. An estimated age and timeline based on last sighting, plus the registration district as Rathdown (assuming he died in the Bray area). Hopefully the address, occupation or informant might provide clues so that you can confirm or eliminate any certs you try.

looks like they lived in Little Bray - definitely worth checking the burials at St. Peter's. They have a website with burials, but it doesn't seem to be working properly for me at the moment...

John Mason wrote: »
    ...In 1911 they are know as O'Shea and the head of the household is Mary O'Shea, she is not marked as widow so I am not sure if John is died as this stage. I do know he died young...

edit : is this the correct census ?
    The children seem to match up and this Mary is listed as a widow .. Doesn't matter in terms of RC parish or civil district, but this is part of Little Bray that was formerly in Co. Dublin.

Index refs. for a couple of deaths that I'd try, based on death in the Bray area between 1888 and 1911, and being at least 18 when he married :

Name : John Shea
    Event Type : Death
    Quarter and Year : Apr-Jun 1894
    Registration District : Rathdown
    Reported Age : 40 (c1854)
    Volume 2 / Page 672

Name : John Shea
    Event Type : Death
    Quarter and Year : Apr-Jun 1903
    Registration District : Rathdown
    Reported Age : 51 (c1852)
    Volume 2 / Page 686

Have you found John's occupation from any civil certs ? based on his parents residence on the marriages they seem to be living in Co. Kerry, so wondering if his occupation was a factor in him moving ..

possible match for Catherine/Kate [O']Shea with a similar occupation in 1901 at Marine Terrace ..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

shanew wrote: »
    possible match for Catherine/Kate [O']Shea with a similar occupation in 1901 at Marine Terrace ..

Thanks. That's is my g-g-grandmother. Its the rest of the family I cant find.

John was originally from either Tralee or Caherisveen in Kerry.

I would love to find them on the 1901 Census. My grandmother still lives their house in Little Bray.

I have tried the St. Peter's site before to no avail. There is another smaller graveyard up on the Old Connaught Road but it is closed to the public.

The only civil cert I have found is this marriage cert and the childrens baptism certs. I have no idea why he moved but they had horses and were spoke irish!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement