Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage records from 20's and 30's?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can find details about marriages, maybe get actual marriage certificates from the late 1920's/early 30's?

My great-grandmother's name was Anne (Annie) Reid and I know she was born in 1900 in Dublin City. My mam thinks she was born in September, however my uncle thinks her birthday was in August.

I checked both the 1901 census and irishgenealogy.ie, and just my luck there were two Anne Reid's born in Dublin City in 1900, one in August and one in September so I don't know which one is my great-grandmother.

I know the name of my great-father, Joseph Smith, and I think they would have gotten married in Dublin sometime between 1925-1932. I'm hoping Annie's mother's maiden name might be on the marriage records.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find details about marriages, maybe get actual marriage certificates from the late 1920's/early 30's?

My great-grandmother's name was Anne (Annie) Reid and I know she was born in 1900 in Dublin City. My mam thinks she was born in September, however my uncle thinks her birthday was in August.

I checked both the 1901 census and irishgenealogy.ie, and just my luck there were two Anne Reid's born in Dublin City in 1900, one in August and one in September so I don't know which one is my great-grandmother.

I know the name of my great-father, Joseph Smith, and I think they would have gotten married in Dublin sometime between 1925-1932. I'm hoping Annie's mother's maiden name might be on the marriage records.

Does the information about her birth date just come from the family? I mean, do you have any records with her birth date? 1900 is a suspiciously round number.

Also, civil marriage certs generally do not contain the mother's name at all, just the father's. Do you know the father's name? For the mother's maiden name, you will need the birth record.

But I would recommend getting the marriage record first so you have something to match the birth record to.

Also, you should keep in mind that many women with the name Anne were born as Joanna or Hannah or another name. The fact that there are only two Annes in the index for Dublin in 1900 does not mean only two Annes were born then.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

When you've identified a record you want, this is where you order them: http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    My great-grandmother's name was Anne (Annie) Reid and I know she was born in 1900 in Dublin City.
    I know the name of my great-father, Joseph Smith, and I think they would have gotten married in Dublin sometime between 1925-1932.

I've had a quick look for a Joseph Smith/Ann Reid marriage in Dublin city, during those dates, and not seen anything promising. When & where were their children born ?

The marriage cert is definitely the way to start the search as it will show father's names and occupations, and also residences for the bride and groom at the time, and witnesses. These could help locate the correct families on the 1911 census...

note the IrishGenealogy website doesn't include very many baptism records for the 1900s...

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

If you've any idea of Joseph Smith and Annie Reid's children these might be some of them, you'd get an address on these too along with occupation of the father, plus it would confirm the names of both Joseph Smith and Annie Reid

https://www.familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3ASmith%20%2Bmother_surname%3AReid&collection_id=1408347

Things to remember are names, ages, dates in general along with where people were born are very loose, people often had no real idea of their own age let alone anyone else, same when it comes to names, often people were baptised using traditional naming patterns but called something completely different

There is a possible marriage match between a Michael Joseph Smith and Margaret Reid in Dublin 1921, if they were born about 1900 then anytime from about 1918 onwards would be a good place to start looking for marriage records regardless of what you've been told..

Best thing to confirm each generations names as you go along would be to get a birth cert for each generation to prove the link, your own parents info you could take as very certain in terms of their age, but their parents your grandparents get their marriage cert along with birth certs, then do the same as you go back each generation

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Margaret Reid Marriage Record 1921 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYF6-YXS

Michael Joseph Smith https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYF6-G2H

The names of their kids might give you an idea of what their own "real" name were or their parents..

• Advertisement
Advertisement