Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too young to get the hepatitis vaccine?

• 22-06-2012 3:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting the hepatitis vaccine because of obvious reasons but I'm wondering is it common for guys my age (18) to get it?

I can't say I know too much about it (like costs, where to get it, etc). I asked my mom who is a nurse about it (she was vaccinated because of her job) and she didn't think it was necessary.
    Granted she doesn't know I'm gay and that I'm at a higher risk of contracting it but should I ignore her and get it or is it unnecessary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I'm a nurse and I got when I was 18. Couldn't tell ya how much it costs, but I'd say chat your GP, and if they are happy, go for it! I'd still use the condoms though if I were you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Rasheed wrote: »
    I'm a nurse and I got when I was 18. Couldn't tell ya how much it costs, but I'd say chat your GP, and if they are happy, go for it! I'd still use the condoms though if I were you!

Definitely I'll still use condoms, I just want extra protection where I can get it. If there was such a thing as a HIV vaccine I'd get that to be safer too

I'm just scared of getting Hepatitis C most of all so anything to minimise the risk would be a big plus.

I'll talk to him about it. I have no medical card and college in September so this will be fun on my wallet to say the least!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I got the hepatitis vaccine a couple of month ago when I was 20, I'm sure they'll allow you at 18. I got it done in the GMHS in Baggot Street in Dublin for free. They do STI screening for free as well. I don't think there's such thing as a HIV vaccine yet. However, if you think that you may have been exposed to HIV, there a very strong antiviral medication you can take called Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) that must be taken within 72 hours of potential exposure. You take it for 4 weeks. It reduces the chances of catching HIV by up to 60% depending on when you started taking the medication post exposure. I think the GMHS offer this emergency medication for free as well (it's usually extremely expensive).

I know you're not in Dublin but if you're stuck for money and there's no free gay men's health clinic near you, it might be worth taking a day trip to Dublin to get the vaccination for free. You'll probably have to go back again to get a booster shot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

1ZRed wrote: »
    I'm just scared of getting Hepatitis C most of all so anything to minimise the risk would be a big plus.
    There currently is no vaccine for Hepatitis C, only A and B. Progress has been made but an actual vaccine is quite some years away, if ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

GMHS in Dublin will give you hepatitis a and b vaccines for free.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 jay2012

no need to pay for it, or even to be in Dublin (though it's easier in Dublin as there are at least a couple drop-in places like GMHS or the GUIDE clinic at James's in Dublin. other cities and towns you'd prob. have to make an appointment.) 18's old enough to have it.

see here where there's a list of places all around Ireland to get the vaccinations for free : http://www.man2man.ie/hepb.html

they advertise it as being for Hep B, but as far as I know they give you the Twinrix vaccination that actually protects against both A and B. You'll need to go 3 times over about 6 months to get all 3 sets of injections spaced apart.

jay2012 wrote: »
    no need to pay for it, or even to be in Dublin (though it's easier in Dublin as there are at least a couple drop-in places like GMHS or the GUIDE clinic at James's in Dublin. other cities and towns you'd prob. have to make an appointment.) 18's old enough to have it.

see here where there's a list of places all around Ireland to get the vaccinations for free : http://www.man2man.ie/hepb.html

they advertise it as being for Hep B, but as far as I know they give you the Twinrix vaccination that actually protects against both A and B. You'll need to go 3 times over about 6 months to get all 3 sets of injections spaced apart.

The link only shows Dublin and Belfast as where you can get free vaccinations.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jay2012

The link only shows Dublin and Belfast as where you can get free vaccinations.

after the mention of Dublin and Belfast, try clicking "for full list of other services click here", then scroll down in the new page it brings you to, to get the info about other locations ('STI/GUM Clinics in Ireland')

jay2012 wrote: »
    after the mention of Dublin and Belfast, try clicking "for full list of other services click here", then scroll down in the new page it brings you to, to get the info about other locations ('STI/GUM Clinics in Ireland')

For testing though not vaccines?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

If you're not from Dublin ring up the GMHS in Dublin and they'll point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just to reiterate, you won't be protected from hep c, it's only covers hep b or hep a & b together. I got my hep b vaccine through work, it's a bitch though OP, you have to go for 3 shots, spaced out, and then your titres checked after that again. Sometimes you have to go through a few 'goes' to get your immunity.

Just to reiterate, you won't be protected from hep c, it's only covers hep b or hep a & b together. I got my hep b vaccine through work, it's a bitch though OP, you have to go for 3 shots, spaced out, and then your titres checked after that again. Sometimes you have to go through a few 'goes' to get your immunity.

It's well worth it though. Hep a and b can still lead to serious complications (less so with hep a), so it's a worthy investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as its a common travel vaccine, 18 wouldn't be seen as too young at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

GMHS in Dublin will give you hepatitis a and b vaccines for free.

How is that funded?

How is that funded?

I imagine it's funded in part by the HSE and the Outhouse, maybe other private donations too. I heard somewhere that some of the staff work there voluntarily. A lot of the services they offer would be quite expensive conventionally, like a full 4 week course of PEP medication could run to over €1000, but they offer it for free.

How is that funded?

by the HSE

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pedant wrote: »
    I imagine it's funded in part by the HSE and the Outhouse, maybe other private donations too. I heard somewhere that some of the staff work there voluntarily. A lot of the services they offer would be quite expensive conventionally, like a full 4 week course of PEP medication could run to over €1000, but they offer it for free.

HSE entirely.

Outhouse would receive funding, not be in a position to give funding.

Pedant wrote: »

Definitely not Outhouse. Sure the main funding from Outhouse comes from the HSE.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I spent about €340 on vaccines a few months ago before going to China. I didn't know I could have got the Hep A and Hep B ones for free. :(

Advertisement