Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ellis Island ship manifest

Options
  • 05-02-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi hoping someone can help me here, I'm trying to trace a relative who went to the U.S and so far I've been able to find her on the ship manifests from Ellis Island. On the manifest it gives a destination but I'm noble to read the address completely I know that it's somewhere in New Jersey but the rest I just can't make out..... If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Name : Ellen Dowd born 1897 arrived New York aged 16 in May 1914

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Had a look on Ancestry.
    If I'm looking at the same person would it be Oak Place Montclair.

By the way, what is the name of the ship?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

An Ellen Dowd arrived in New York on 1 May 2014 on the SS Baltic, going to her aunt Mrs Julia Whalen, 28 Oak Pl, Montclair New Jersey - is this the same Ellen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 darrenp363

That's great lads thanks, seems to be the same Ellen( the ship was the Baltic), I could get the Oak Place but not the Montclair. Planning a trip to New York and was interested to see the place so thanks for yer help it's much appreciated

Good stuff - twas the Baltic I was looking at too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Good stuff - twas the Baltic I was looking at too.

Would Ancestry be the best place to find out more on this? Been lookin at a few places and not sure which to go for

• Advertisement

Well they have a free two week trial for any new customers so no harm in having a look.
    Their American records are good with census returns up to 1940.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Make sure to exhaust all the databases on Familysearch before going onto Ancestry. Some of the databases are duplicates.

1915 New Jersey state census is on there so you might pick her up in it, along with two marriage databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Sorry, couldn't resist: this might be her in that census.

I was just about to write that Ancestry prob have the images for that census but surprisingly they don't have that census at all.

Hey lads would ye have any tips to help me try find out what happened Ellen after she arrived in New York, i've just started the free trial on ancestry but so far im drawing a blank as Im not even sure where to start. Any help greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

darrenp363 wrote: »
    Hey lads would ye have any tips to F help me try find out what happened Ellen after she arrived in New York, i've just started the free trial on ancestry but so far im drawing a blank as Im not even sure where to start. Any help greatly appreciated

Hi
    For US ancestors - check the free Fulton Newspaper archive at http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html - there are over 200 references to "Ellen Dowd" - some/none might refer to your Ellen

In ancestry check the census databases - they go up to 1940

They also have the US Social Security claims index which sometimes gives details on maiden names, date and place of birth, parents etc - check http://bit.ly/1U7ShZX

• Advertisement

Thanks for that I'll check them out and see how I get on!

Advertisement