Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7th April shower bearing down on Wicklow Head

Options
  • 08-04-2008 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Late afternoon on 7th April, showers developed over Irish Sea off Louth coast. Read about this from #194 in this thread

I live low down with limited long range view, so I decided to get up local hill to get a view of the leading shower moving south along Wicklow coast.

From the thread linked to above, there are reports of thunder from Dublin and Bray and I heard distant thunder at 18:20 and a much louder rumble en route at 18:45.
    The first picture taken at 19:14 shows the leading edge of precipitation very well.
    8apr08.5.jpg

Next one at same time 19:14 is to right. the leading edge of shower on left and Wicklow head on right. The coast is 2 1/2km away
    8apr08.6.jpg

19:30
    8apr08.8.jpg

19:34
    8apr08.10.jpg

19:36
    8apr08.11.jpg

19:43 Just arriving at Wicklow Head. I had to push up the ISO here as it was getting dark and it was starting to rain on me. The rain was preceded by a little hail. Air temperature fell to 2-3C. Sleet reported higher up inland.
    8apr08.12.jpg

19:46. Wicklow Head all but disappeared. Some lights from Wicklow are visible. At this stage, the brightness on north side of shower was visible. There was no thunder during the time I was on hill
    8apr08.13.jpg

I was a km from home (1.5km from coast). 2mm was recorded with max rate of 14mm/hr. The main shower stayed off shore. Well under a mm fell where I was. Got damp rather than wet.

I'd appreciate if the different structures in photos 3-5 were named or described. I don't usually have these views of showers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

You have linked to much earlier in the thread from the linky though #194 is correct.
    That is a shelf cloud you have taken a pic of. I have little time on my hands atm to explain but i did post about a shelf cloud before on this forum, do a quick search.:)

Fantastic snaps MM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    You have linked to much earlier in the thread from the linky though #194 is correct.
    That is a shelf cloud you have taken a pic of. I have little time on my hands atm to explain but i did post about a shelf cloud before on this forum, do a quick search.:)

Fantastic snaps MM.

I linked to whole page as a number of posts relate to this moving southwards.

Thanks for shelf cloud, no point in repeating yourself :), I'll go searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    i did post about a shelf cloud before on this forum, do a quick search.:)

Here it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

Class photos there Mothman. Pretty impressive shower.

Advertisement