Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double nat after putting ip on dmz

• 07-12-2018 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

Trying to get x box one connected to broadband without having a double nat issue.

The broadband is satelite from a fixed last. The router is a tplink

So I be tried port forwardingbut that didn't work... as a last effort I put the Xbox on a reserved ip and put that ip into dmz.

But still the double nat is there..

Is the problem at the providers side?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The obvious question is why not plug your device directly into the satellite box that your tplink router is plugged into.

Hard to guess exactly what your setup is but if the satellite box connecting to the tplink router provides DHCP why not replace it with a switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Satellite broadband for gaming? Probably is the provider Satellite usually isn't suitable for that.
    You normally only get double NAT when you try to use 2 routers. If you put it in DMZ then all ports from the xbox should be open to the internet. I can't think of anything else you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

Satellite broadband for gaming?

Yea I know it isn't the best but that's my best way to connect , living in the country side.I currently have 5mb download,1mb upload....The supplier has a better package available,20mb download, 1.5mb upload, this seems to be advertised as suitable for gaming - I will look into this further next week , was hoping my current package might just do

Ive called it a satellite connection , but just in case I have given it the wrong name. Its fibre supplied by Vodafone, then my internet supplier transmits this from land based masts, picked up by a small satellite dish on my house, goes to a small black box that is plugged in to a socket in the attic( this box has a POA or POE port for the satellite wire and LAN port going to the router) router is a TPLINK WR841N wireless router.
    why not plug your device directly into the satellite box

Didn't know I could..........If I understand you correctly, I will try plug it directly into this LAN port in the attic and so remove the router altogether

You normally only get double NAT when you try to use 2 routers.
    I only have one router
    If you put it in DMZ then all ports from the xbox should be open to the internet. I can't think of anything else you can do.

After much research online I thought this would work too, that's why Im wondering is it something out of my reach that the supplier has in place... Might magically disappear if I take out the more expensive package

Satellites are up in space!
    What you have is fixed wireless access. You don't have a satellites dish even if it looks a bit like one, you have a wireless receiver on your house.
    I've never used an ISP that has that system but if you tell us who your ISP is someone might be able to help.

baby fish wrote: »

Didn't know I could..........If I understand you correctly, I will try plug it directly into this LAN port in the attic and so remove the router altogether

I only have one router

The device that connects to that Antenna on the roof - sounds like you have some form of WiFi connection - is a router. How much functionality that router has and what control you have over those functions are another story.

Just try initially to use the cable from the roof direct into the device and see what happens if that works we can expand it from there or try something different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Satellite is only suitable for gaming if you're into chess, monopoly or online Scrabble (^^)

Satellite is only suitable for gaming if you're into chess, monopoly or online Scrabble (^^)

I used Satellite around 2003 I think. It was so weird. You click a link and then wait and wait and then boom! the page would all load at once.

Also does anyone remember a one way satellite service where you would use your dial-up to request a download and you would wait your turn in queue. You could also set it to get everything that other people were requesting. So you would wake up in the morning and have a hard drive full of illegal copyright stuff to look through and see what you wanted to keep.
    I never had it but it sounded like interesting.

tuxy wrote: »
    I used Satellite around 2003 I think. It was so weird. You click a link and then wait and wait and then boom! the page would all load at once.

Yeah a smoke and mirrors trick called tcp spoofing. It improves browsing but it's no good for anything that needs the tcp info in order like VPN or gaming.

http://www.vsat-systems.com/Education/Satellite-Internet-Explained/Performance/Protocols-and-applications/

Yeah highly flawed but might be alright if you were stuck on some very remote island.

• Advertisement

Yeah highly flawed but might be alright if you were stuck on some very remote island.

On the equator directly below the satellite

Yeah a smoke and mirrors trick called tcp spoofing. It improves browsing but it's no good for anything that needs the tcp info in order like VPN or gaming.

http://www.vsat-systems.com/Education/Satellite-Internet-Explained/Performance/Protocols-and-applications/

It was also much cheaper (on the satellite side) than a full satellite two way connection I saw it a few times years (10?) back. Neighbor had it for a while and was never happy with it, his company paid for it which is why he kept it for a bit but even then only a couple of months.

fixed wireless access
    is this ok for gaming then?
    my3cents wrote: »

Just try initially to use the cable from the roof direct into the device and see what happens if that works we can expand it from there or try something different.

Ok, but I'll try plug in on the LAN side first..... as I think if I take out the wire that is coming directly from the satellite - the satellite will no longer have power as it looks like this is brining the signal from the dish but also brings electricity to the dish. I think this little box is just a way of providing power for the dish. ( will try this tomorrow, will be in trouble if I go messing up there at this hour!)

Im on package B from these-> totalwireless.ie , their Package F seems advertised as suitable for gaming as there is a controller pictured on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Why do you think you're experiencing double NAT?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Why do you think you're experiencing double NAT?

Because the xbox one has the option to test the connection ,

It shows as being strict and a double nat is detected
    When I try join a game it seems to take a long time

Xbox advises to not have the double nat, Ive tried everything to get rid of it but still there

An xbox one can detect double nat when you do a connectivity test.
    But perhaps the test is not very accurate.

An xbox one can detect double nat when you do a connectivity test.
    But perhaps the test is not very accurate.

spent more than a few hours trying to fix this, don't tell me that:eek:
    cant get rid of the "strict" either... thought putting the ip on DMZ would sort it but that stayed as strict too

Could the router be the problem, might be a piece of junk?

Could be the router could be the ISP

You need to be able to connect to each router in turn and let us know what the IP addresses are?

whatismyip.com should give you one in the range of 185.101.84.0 - 185.101.87.255 so I know they should have enough public addresses. Then we need to know the WAN (Wifi antenna side) IP address on the totalwireless router, if that is a 10.x.x.x address your screwed anyway as totalwireless are doing the NAT.

• Advertisement

Could be the router could be the ISP we still don't know which fixed wireless ISP you have.

I put that in a post earlier :D-> totalwireless.ie , Im on package B. F seem to be advertised as suitable for gaming.

Sorry missed that. You should be able to game on fixed wireless 5 down 1 up as all you need for gaming is low latency but you don't need much bandwidth.
    If my3cents is correct and that ISP has a weird NAT setup it may not be possible though :(

my3cents wrote: »
    You need to be able to connect to each router in turn and let us know what the IP addresses are?

just get one ip number like 89.x.x.x
    I don't know how to find the rest of the information

My skills are limited, just able to do what Ive picked up from searching online...it might be time to give up

Perhaps if they can set up the nat in a particular way, then maybe package F is set up to suit online gaming. I thought I might be able to sort it out on the connection I currently have but looks like the better package might be the only option....or change provider

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

What you should try is to firstly eliminate the NAT in the TP LInk WR 841N.
    Turn off Wi-Fi on a laptop and plug in directly to one of the LAN ports (orange)

Log on to the router (usually admin/admin, if not you'll have to do a factory reset - hold the reset button down for more than 3 seconds, if you do this the SSID and password will be defaulted to the one on the label fixed to the base of the router)

Unplug the cable that comes from the LAN port on the dish POE unit (this normally plugs into the blue WAN port on the router), plug it directly into the LAN port of a Laptop/computer which has it's LAN port set to DHCP (this is the normal default setting).
    if its a Windows PC, type CMD into the 'RUN' box (Windows key + 'R' key or 'Start' > 'Run'), type ipconfig /all and get the IP address and gateway - for Total Wireless it is usually 192.168.200.1. If this is the case, proceed as belwo. If it returns another address subnet range such 192.168.1.x, you need to substitute the first three groups of the new IP address so that it matches what resuts you got
    Type 'ping 192.168.200.95' hit return.
    If it returns an error, or returns from some other IP than the one typed, it is safe to assume that this IP is not used anywhere else in your home network - TW normally allocates IP's by DHCP above 192.168.200.100) If it returns the ping, pick another IP in the 192.168.200.x subnet

Turn off DHCP in the router, click 'SAVE' and go to the LAN settings and allocate the router the IP address of 192.168.200.95, click 'SAVE', the router will warn that it needs to reboot, which is OK.

Plug the cable from the LAN port on the POE back into the Wi-Fi router but plug it into one of the orange LAN ports, NOT the blue WAN port (put a piece of tape over the WAN port to stop anyone accidentlaly plugging anything into it.

This will now mean that there is no NAT occurring in the Wi-FI Router. If you have multiply 'daisy chained ' routers, they will also need to be set similarly, but allocating each a unique IP address, eg.192.168.200.94 etc. If it all goes wrong, do a factory reset an dplug it back in as normal (the blue port), note your SSID and password from the label on the bottom and carry on as before.

If this doesn't help, you should contact Total Wireless and ask what's involved in getting a unique public IP address. (This may be only available with the higher speed packages, and / or there may be a small extra charge). This would eliminate another NAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Folks, check out their packages. All have miniscule upload even the expensive ones. My bet is they've allocated zilch to the US traffic in order to eek out that extra down to sell faster speeds.

baby fish if you have other options definitely move. I suspect even three MBB would be better.

What you should try is to firstly eliminate the NAT in the TP LInk WR 841N.

Thanks for detailed instructions you have provided...can I just ask, if I follow these, will it in anyway leave other devices exposed to unwanted traffic from the internet, i.e. will my laptop etc be exposed to hacking, virus etc... my understanding is the router provides some protection to devices... Im happy to place the xbox in this position, but not laptop

baby fish if you have other options definitely move

In fairness their service is reliable, they mightnt have great offers but it works, better than eir anyway.

Would these be any better? aptus.ie
    Is VOIP phone calls any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

baby fish wrote: »
    Thanks for detailed instructions you have provided...can I just ask, if I follow these, will it in anyway leave other devices exposed to unwanted traffic from the internet, i.e. will my laptop etc be exposed to hacking, virus etc... my understanding is the router provides some protection to devices... Im happy to place the xbox in this position, but not laptop

I wouldn't reset the router.

Can you log into it?

Look at the WAN IP page.
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/faq-138.html

Check what IP you have been given, don't post it here.

Go to https://www.whois.com/whois/ and enter it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://ipinfo.io/

should give you the IP address of your connection along with lots of other info. :)

or use, for only the IP address

https://ipinfo.io/ip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

should give you the IP address of your connection along with lots of other info. :)

Thats no use in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Like ED said, if its double NAT, then the provider is doing the NAT and this will tell you nothing more then the end IP in use.

So its client --> TPlink NAT --> Provider Router NAT --> Public IP.

So OP needs to confirm that the provider has actually given the device in his house, that they control, a public IP. If they have, its unlikely that double NAT is the actual problem. Its pretty common for smaller providers to not purchase large blocks of IPV4 address space now, due to the cost.

Advertisement