Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look ,no aerial !!

Options
  • 21-11-2018 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭

Did I go mad or does my tv work fine (better) with no terrestrial aerial?

After years of adjusting my aerial as it gets blown about in the wind I am finally about to give up on it as it gets harder and harder to direct even though the mast is in plain view.

One last time I try and notice a cable dangling free ,having seemingly come out of a small black box(some contraption used toorelay a deflector signal from years ago I think)

Scratching my heard I reflect that the tv was actually working just previously and yet the terrestrial aerial seems strangely disembodied ,unconnected to any cable.

Down I go to double check that the tv was in fact working (it was) and up again to re examine the aerial on the roof.

A few such journeys and it's clear the tv works without an aerial (but with a cable).

Is this because I am so near a transmitting mast?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Yeah, it only works like that because you have a strong signal.

It must be a pretty poor or dilapidated installation if the wind is moving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭amandstu

Thurston? wrote: »
    Yeah, it only works like that because you have a strong signal.

It must be a pretty poor or dilapidated installation if the wind is moving it.

Yes.I covered the end with a bit of cling film ( while I work out how to proceed and to keep off the rain) and the signal has degraded a bit .

Would that be normal ? Does the cling film block the signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭emaherx

amandstu wrote: »
    Yes.I covered the end with a bit of cling film ( while I work out how to proceed and to keep off the rain) and the signal has degraded a bit .

Cling film won’t degrade signal, but weather does. Also moisture will get in and destroy the cable. Your best bet if you have strong signal is a new small aerial in your attic. Wind won’t move it then either.

emaherx wrote: »
    Cling film won’t degrade signal, but weather does. Also moisture will get in and destroy the cable. Your best bet if you have strong signal is a new small aerial in your attic. Wind won’t move it then either.

Are you quite sure about the clngfilm? I feel it might have a small effect as the reception seems to get worse when I put it on and again to improve when I remove it.

Plastics are insulators aren't they ?

What part of the cable is actually picking up the signal ?Would it be the bits sticking out at the end or would the entire cable length pick it up?

Without the clingfilm the signal was perfect this evening but a shower of rain knocked off just one of the stations ,leaving all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭emaherx

Are you quite sure about the clngfilm? I feel it might have a small effect as the reception seems to get worse when I put it on and again to improve when I remove it.

Plastics are insulators aren't they ?

What part of the cable is actually picking up the signal ?Would it be the bits sticking out at the end or would the entire cable length pick it up?

Without the clingfilm the signal was perfect this evening but a shower of rain knocked off just one of the stations ,leaving all the others.

If good quality cable, just the exposed bit. If poor quality it may be the entire length of the cable. Cling film wouldn't be well known for blocking radio signals (wouldn't recommend it as an electrical insulater either!). Wouldn't worry about it too much, it's never going to be reliable until you fix it correctly. In fact your exposed cable may well carry water the whole way back to your TV then you will not have any picture on any station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Putting on the clingfilm might have resulted in the cable centre wire contacting the outer braid. (You say in another post there are 'bits sticking out at the end'.)

Thurston? wrote: »
    Putting on the clingfilm might have resulted in the cable centre wire contacting the outer braid. (You say in another post there are 'bits sticking out at the end'.)

It is fairly flush (rusted away over the years I'd say)

Now we have decent weather I will tidy it up and examine the socket it fell out of as well .

Advertisement