Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using home broadband elsewhere over Xmas, or temporary internet solutions

• 10-12-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all, We have home broadband from Eir but will be staying with my parents-in-law in Tralee for 4 nights over Xmas. They have no broadband. Our kids are getting devices (what else!) for Xmas and it will be a nightmare with no broadband. I have 2 questions:
    1) Is there an option to use Eir fibre broadband remotely?
    2) Is there a general option for temporary broadband (4 days)?
    Nobody is available on Eir chat, I will try them again later but you might have non-Eir suggestions? tia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Hey, to answer your questions:

1. Traditionally no as Eir is a fixed line connection but you can connect to other Eir WiFi Hotspots in the area (basically a neighbours router) but that will entirely depend on location / who has Eir - https://www.eir.ie/eirwifi/
    2. You can in a sense, you would need to purchase a PAYG hotspot that uses 3G/4G mobile network to create a home WiFI network - again, all depends on signal quality available but most likely the better option - https://www.eir.ie/store/mobile/mobile-broadband/devices/prepay/huawei-e5577-4g-hotspot/
    3. Bonus extra - if you have unlimited data on your own phone, you can use the hotspot feature with that to do the same as option 2. but means your phone is limited for the time and it heavily uses your battery.

NOTE: There are tonnes of hotspots options, I would call the parents and ask them to check their mobile signal quality / connection first or see what Eir networks are locally available from their phone / computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nelly71

Thanks for your help, I was just looking at that PAYG hotspot actually, sounds like the best option for us.

Nelly71 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, I was just looking at that PAYG hotspot actually, sounds like the best option for us.
    It's the most guaranteed method but I would still ask the parents to check their local networks for any Eir WiFi ones just in case (sure its free) - all you have to do is be registered with Eir online and you can connect to it but let it be known that "As an eir WiFi Host, up to 3MB download and 1MB upload bandwidth is available for eir WiFi Guest users. This is the total aggregate allocation of upload and download bandwidth across all eir WiFi Guest customers i.e. not per guest."

SSID.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm hijacking the thread but can eir WiFi be disabled on a modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IIRC the system is the same as Virgins, one must give to receive. You can opt out but lose the ability to use others APs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ED E wrote: »
    IIRC the system is the same as Virgins, one must give to receive. You can opt out but lose the ability to use others APs.

I opted out of virgin when I was with them.chances of being used by passing herds of cows is negligible I think for me now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yes. You can disable it through My eir under Menu > More> eir WiFi

You can still be a guest on another connection even if you've disabled your own broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nelly71

advertsfox wrote: »
    It's the most guaranteed method but I would still ask the parents to check their local networks for any Eir WiFi ones just in case (sure its free) - all you have to do is be registered with Eir online and you can connect to it but let it be known that "As an eir WiFi Host, up to 3MB download and 1MB upload bandwidth is available for eir WiFi Guest users. This is the total aggregate allocation of upload and download bandwidth across all eir WiFi Guest customers i.e. not per guest."

SSID.jpg
    Thanks for that. Eir_WIFI has always been a mystery to me, as has Eir support. It asks for an "anonymous identity" when you try to connect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Sign up to a 3 mobile broadband contract ,including modem ,online Christmas week , cancel the week after making use of the 14 day distance selling cooling off period.

Nelly71 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Eir_WIFI has always been a mystery to me, as has Eir support. It asks for an "anonymous identity" when you try to connect?
    Yes that will be your My Eir details when you register here - https://www.eir.ie/eirwifi/

wifi_panels_600.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement