Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for photo printing

• 05-12-2018 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for advice on printing a portrait photo that I took recently of my mom & 18 month old nephew.

It was taken with a Canon 450D, so the res is 4288 x 2848. I'm wondering what the largest that I can print it? As the photo wasn't staged, it came out as fairly orange. Running it through Photoshop as auto, it's a bit better, but a bit of noise. Retaking the photo isn't an option, as both people in the photo are naturally smiling/joy/happy; prefer this to trying to restage the photo with better light, as getting the nephew to pop a smile on cue in front of a camera is near impossible.

I'm thinking of getting it done by 360-dpi, but I don't know what size to ask for? Or if I give them the JPG, would they be able to advise? Looking to spend around the €60 mark.

Also, does anyone know their turnaround time? Could pop down this week to talk to them if needs be (they're only 2 hours away on the train).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Assuming you were shooting JPEG only mode yeah? White balance would be far more correctable (entirely so) with the RAW. If its way too warm try dropping a copy to B&W to see how that looks.

300PPI at 12MP gives you a 14x9 a 14 x 11" print should look alright I suspect. 360 will know a lot more than I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ED E wrote: »
    Assuming you were shooting JPEG only mode yeah? White balance would be far more correctable (entirely so) with the RAW. If its way too warm try dropping a copy to B&W to see how that looks.

300PPI at 12MP gives you a 14x9 a 14 x 11" print should look alright I suspect. 360 will know a lot more than I.
    No; was shooting RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

60 for print or printer? Also print or canvas. Bigger nice frames are stupid expensive. I've taken to making my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If you still have the raw file you can change the white balance to maybe get a better colour. Steve will advise you, he is a nice guy. Also most pro print shops like the file to be a TIFF file

Advertisement