Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best holiday ever had

• 08-07-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Seeing as there is a recent thread on social welfare recipients going on 3 holidays a year, its raining outside and its july, its time for me to book a holiday.

Any suggestions? What was the best holiday you ever had, especially as a kid before we became cynical and the novelty wore off.

Mine was down in tramore as a kid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Butlins; pwllheli. Fahkinn incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Seeing as there is a recent thread on social welfare recipients going on 3 holidays a year, its raining outside and its july, its time for me to book a holiday.

Any suggestions? What was the best holiday you ever had, especially as a kid before we became cynical and the novelty wore off.

Mine was down in tramore as a kid.

Your only going to get cynices or the, my 3 weeks in the Seychelles in a discreat 10 star hotel that only those in the know go to, or the exclusive skiing trip, or staying in the George V, Paris.

but to answer the question it was to the Italian lake fabulous scenery its a beautiful place, fabulous food, lovely hotel but most importantly it was who I was with that made it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Pre kids -
    We went to Bodrum in Turkey . Fabulous holiday. The scenery , historical sites, the craic, the scuba diving -amazing.
    Also we went to Pattaya in Thailand. AMAZING country , amazing people, elephants, massages, temples, gun ranges :P , so beautiful, so friendly.
    ( we weren't aware that it was soooo full of sex workers and bars!! - pre internet and trip advisor :) ) But an amazing holiday none the less.

With Kids -
    Sanguli in Salou - Top class.
    Camping Fabulous just outside Rome - Top class

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

We used to go to west Cork/Kerry in the late 80s early 90s as a kid, before it was ruined by busloads of fat americans with selfie sticks.

Just missed going to the Skelligs in 1990 cos of the wind, what a shame .... but love that part of the country and was totally unspoilt back then.
    I would be afraid to go back now, I think I would genuinely cry.

Lately , about 3 years ago went to Iceland with the wife and kids, was amazing and easy to avoid the crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

As an adult - Last year, did 10 days in Mexico, explored the Yucatan peninsula a bit and saw Coba, Tulum and some other tropical stuff. Then up to New York for another 6 nights. My partner had never been outside of Europe and it was my first time doing so since 2008 so it was a proper adventure for both of us.

As a kid - I was a lucky fecker and got to see Iceland, Florida and South Africa with my parents before I was 16. Had a bunch of amazing Ireland trips too, Roundstone in Connemara was a yearly camping trip with frirnds that was a particular favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

As a kid, camping in Westport House. Loved the boating lake and the zoo. Pinky the rabbit!
    As an adult, Iceland. No alcohol, just scenery and tours. Took more photos in 4 days there, than all my other holidays put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

mariaalice wrote: »
    but to answer the question it was to the Italian lake fabulous scenery its a beautiful place, fabulous food, lovely hotel but most importantly it was who I was with that made it

Same for me. Malceisne in Lake Garda. Food, wine, scenery etc all incredible. Also loved Mexico. Was supposed to be going back this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

greenspurs wrote: »
    Pre kids -
    We went to Bodrum in Turkey . Fabulous holiday. The scenery , historical sites, the craic, the scuba diving -amazing.
    Also we went to Pattaya in Thailand. AMAZING country , amazing people, elephants, massages, temples, gun ranges :P , so beautiful, so friendly.
    ( we weren't aware that it was soooo full of sex workers and bars!! - pre internet and trip advisor :) ) But an amazing holiday none the less.

With Kids -
    Sanguli in Salou - Top class.
    Camping Fabulous just outside Rome - Top class

thanks for sharing greenspurs. sounds great.

Last year we went to France and stayed in a mobile home in a campsite the kind family go to but we had a ball the swimming pool complex was brilliant flume lazy river all sorts and the place was near a very nice beach town miles of sandy beaches and walking trail through woods, nice restaurants everything from pizza to high-end seafood restaurants, french food markets which are to die for if you are a foodie, nice beach bars to watch the sunset and as its all family orientated it was buzzy but quite and safe at the same time.

Then we had a few days in a nice hotel in a historic medieval town with a river port so lot of culture and outdoor restaurants looking over the riven.

That was a very good holiday and not expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The Isle of Man in the 80's I was young enough and it was a place of wonder intrigue and adventure.

It's the one that stands out the most.

I remember Rod Stewart's song Baby Jane was ping ponging in my head all week.
    There was a guy from Belfast that kept playing it over and over in the game's room.
    Gyruss was the game that year in the arcades.

Happy memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Sri Lanka 5 years ago.
    It was amazing. Lovely people, food, untouched beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

Amsterdam, Easter 2019.

Weather was beautiful, loads to see and do. As it turned out we were there the week before King's Day, which is supposedly a huge party out there.

I'd recommend Amsterdam to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pre Kids : About 15 years ago Dominican Republic with 6 lads was unreal , better than Thailand ,Vegas or Ibiza

Post kids *: Michigan/Chicago City spent 10 days between the two for a Friends wedding ,I'm cheating here because the kids or wife didn't come 7 lads flew over for it , It was brilliant *
    With the kids & missus Croatia best so far ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

F5500 wrote: »
    Amsterdam, Easter 2019.

Weather was beautiful, loads to see and do. As it turned out we were there the week before King's Day, which is supposedly a huge party out there.

I'd recommend Amsterdam to anyone.

King's Day in Amsterdam is mad. A city-wide booze-up.

It's not as insane as it used to be 20 years ago when I first experienced it, but it's still pretty nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

We used to go to west Cork/Kerry in the late 80s early 90s as a kid, before it was ruined by busloads of fat americans with selfie sticks.

Just missed going to the Skelligs in 1990 cos of the wind, what a shame .... but love that part of the country and was totally unspoilt back then.
    I would be afraid to go back now, I think I would genuinely cry.

Lately , about 3 years ago went to Iceland with the wife and kids, was amazing and easy to avoid the crowds.

Nothing personal but this is quite offensive. How would you feel if someone says that Chicago is ruined by the fat irish with selfie sticks :( We are all people and not all Americans are fat and not all Irish are slim ... Also the tourist industry brings money in.

Best holiday as a child - Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
    Best holiday as an adult- Oslo and Musen in Norway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

My most recent holiday abroad is always my favourite :D I went gallivanting all over Scotland last year. I had two weeks of tough work in the boring part of the UK, so afterwards I took my holidays and went to visit Glasgow, not knowing what I'd do next.

On the train up, I got in touch with an old neighbour that I knew had moved back to his homeland. I knew he'd be good craic as he used have mad parties the whole time that myself and my housemates would go to. Fair play to the lad, he didn't disappoint, we went to a load of class pubs and met up with his mad friends. I felt as at home as if I'd had a night out in my hometown and got an incredible perspective on the place and met a lot of sound Glaswegians. Got absolutely demented and ended up at a savage party until sh!t o'clock the next morning.

After having a sleep for a good few hours on a bench I was fairly worse for wear but I wanted to get a move on early to try and figure out how to get to somewhere beautiful and manage my hangover. I basically just started walking uphill because I think I figured I might come to the Highlands that way :D. Crossing a road I recognised a lad walking towards me. No word of a lie it was a fella I'd met two years previously in a hostel when I was touring Europe, basically doing the same aimless wandering I was at in Scotland.

He said he was going playing music at the lakes and heading the islands afterwards and he was travelling alone with spare tickets because his buddy had dropped out at the last minute, so he enthusiastically invited me along. All the craic that ensued at the festivals have been such fond memories that have basically gotten me through all the tough times I've had during the year. I doubt I'll have a chance encounter like that which presents so much opportunity ever again!

The Scottish people I met were all just like the best Irish people I know except somehow funnier. They adore Irish people as well, we're regarded as cousins in oppression. Absolutely sound and would go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I'd love to go back there, especially with the OH whenever having a holiday is any craic again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Two holidays stand out from all the others - Provence and Cote D'Azur in 2007 and Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam in 2005.

Both were amazing experiences.

Best family holiday in my childhood - Switzerland in 1985.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

March 2007, a very last minute decision to pop over to see one of the lads who was studying in Cleveland, Ohio turned into a road trip to Florida which culminated with a massive drunken multi-national Paddy's day game of ball on South Beach. Drove back up to Cleveland a day or two later. Too much stuff happened to detail (e.g. broken jacuzzi, crashed car, ringing a pizza place to tell us our address coz we didn't know it. . . to mention but a few) but it was an unforgettable two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I went to caravan club in Camber Sands with three of my friends. Stayed in my friends caravan with his parents and his dad had terrible bowel problems, it led to some awful smells especially as we sat down for dinner 5 feet away from the WC.

We ended up going to the caravan club disco and it was pretty boring, I almost pulled a girl but she realised I was a big loser lol. My friend ended up spending the night in the car with her though. Great times but I wouldn’t go back again lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My honeymoon was a great holiday.
    Combined a couple of weeks in a Mexican 5* with a city break to NY.
    Lovely blend of relaxation, adventure, indulgence and just enough USA to keep my Mrs happy and get me a few photos with posing with a Black bird!:D(The SR-71 variety, not the female of the species)

Mexico was so lovely we've been back 3 times since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been to countries around the Med a lot, they are all great. Possibly the road trip in Italy was my favourite yet.

Motivator wrote: »
    I went to caravan club in Camber Sands with three of my friends. Stayed in my friends caravan with his parents and his dad had terrible bowel problems, it led to some awful smells especially as we sat down for dinner 5 feet away from the WC.

We ended up going to the caravan club disco and it was pretty boring, I almost pulled a girl but she realised I was a big loser lol. My friend ended up spending the night in the car with her though. Great times but I wouldn’t go back again lol.

Are you still in love with Karli?

Motivator wrote: »

Are you still in love with Karli?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Santorini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Orlando. Did 10 days in the theme parks, I-drive etc then a Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean. Fantastic memories.

Highly recommend a cruising holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Santorini

Santorini is supposed to be lovely, what did yo do there.
    Best Holiday I had was Tenerife. The water park and the volcano.
    A very sheltered life :(
    And sanfranciso. Which surprisingly for a city renowned for its gay culture is great for shifting women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It is hard to pick a best one. Skopelos was lovely but tainted by my gf at the time starting a good few arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

Last year we went to France and stayed in a mobile home in a campsite the kind family go to but we had a ball the swimming pool complex was brilliant flume lazy river all sorts and the place was near a very nice beach town miles of sandy beaches and walking trail through woods, nice restaurants everything from pizza to high-end seafood restaurants, french food markets which are to die for if you are a foodie, nice beach bars to watch the sunset and as its all family orientated it was buzzy but quite and safe at the same time.

Then we had a few days in a nice hotel in a historic medieval town with a river port so lot of culture and outdoor restaurants looking over the riven.

That was a very good holiday and not expensive.

That sounds amazing! I would love a similar holiday to France with my older kids. I love campsite holidays and it sounds like the area has a lot to offer. Could you share the name of that campsite please ? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hiitsme wrote: »
    That sounds amazing! I would love a similar holiday to France with my older kids. I love campsite holidays and it sounds like the area has a lot to offer. Could you share the name of that campsite please ? Thanks.

Can't remember the name of the camp site but the place was https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Palmyre.

My husband is in his 60s and was a bit wary of us as a couple going to campsite which are family orientated but it was grand plus we had a family sized mobile home all to our selves.

What we did was fly in to La Rochelle and hired a car and drove down and on the way back stayed in La Rochelle in a nice hotel.

It would be good if anyone likes cycling, walking, surfing, swimming, nice food a few bars but not looking for night clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

Can't remember the name of the camp site but the place was https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Palmyre.

My husband is in his 60s and was a bit wary of us as a couple going to campsite witch are family orientated but it was grand plus we had a family sized mobile home all to our selves.

What we did was fly in to La Rochelle and hired a car and drove down and on the way back stayed in La Rochelle in a nice hotel.

It would be good if anyone likes cycling, walking, surfing, swimming, nice food a few bars but not looking for night clubs

Perfect ... thank you! I will have a look at the area. We have had a few campsite holidays over the years in Italy, Spain and once to Brittany when our kids were young. As per this thread, they were my favourite holidays ... I loved the laid back vibe, lots of activities for the kids, sitting on the deck in the evening with candles and a glass of vino. The kids would return in the evening exhausted after a day filled with swimming, soccer, tennis etc. Then the evening entertainment would start ... fab. We've been to 5 star hotels but I'd choose 2 x weeks in a campsite in the sun for the same cost as a 3 x night 5 star luxury hotel stay any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hard to choose but would probably pick South Africa if pushed on one.

Amazing Safari in Kruger National Park, followed by two weeks in Cape Town and surrounding wine regions. Cape town and the surrounding area is the most stunning scenic place ive seen, very different but definitely challenging Iceland in that regard.

Had wine tours, whale watching, umpteen tourist attractions (both interesting and activity based) and ample nightlife. Ate in 5 star restaurants most evenings and stayed in lovely hotels. Plenty do the Garden route from there. All in, cost about half of what i'd have originally estimated before planning. Its deceptively cheap.

The country has its issues obviously but its a wonderful tourist location.

There was one holiday in Malta that was pretty special. Had a boozy picnic atop the Azure Window with my then-gf, you can't do that anymore because it's collapsed. We hitch hiked to the port, and got the night ferry back to Valletta where I told her all my poems and other secrets. I actually don't think I'd want to go back there again, because I have such good memories I don't think a return trip could live up to them.

Advertisement