Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burial or Cremation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

Cremation for me... A preparation for an eternity of heat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Flushed down the toilet, good enough for goldfish good enough for me.

Good option. From the movies I've seen, you'll grow into a giant, mutant version of yourself down there and then escape in search of human flesh or become skilled in ninjutsu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Flushed down the toilet, good enough for goldfish good enough for me.
    What would you like the workers at the sewage plant to do with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cremated. To make sure I'm really dead.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would burial not provide fertiliser for the ground as you rot

It might, but what's the use in having a super fertile cemetery where no plants or crops are grown?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

MsStote wrote: »
    Cremation in the Cork crematorium................ I seen how horrible that goes wrong!

Yeah but it is funny when it does go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

jimgoose wrote: »
    I have previously decreed that I shall be laid to rest in a 400-meter-square pyramid on the green opposite my house, accompanied by numerous serving-wenches, livestock and magnificent treasures. Before the final tomb-sealing there shall be a week-long official lying-in-state in the middle of the local pub, where my idjit mates can spend some time getting seriously pissed and saying things like "Would you look at the bollocks there lah, he never looked so well!" :cool:

Can I have a couple of the wenches when you've been sealed in your tomb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

Buried at sea.

I likes me seafood so its only fair to give a bit back.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

You dirty article, you want to dip your spoon into someone elses porridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No! They're mine, get your own harem. Bloody peasants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think my family need to be burdened either with the cost of a burial, nor the ongoing maintenance of a plot and the inevitable guilt when they realise they haven't been there in years. If they want to, they can fire away. Funerals are for the living.

Went to see my grandparents' plot in September. Took us an hour to find it because nobody had been to it in 20 years. Headstone was fine, but many others were not. Just faded, worn down stones beside a patch of grass that would look like any other if you didn't know different.

Bit of a sad, pointless tribute. At least if ashes are eventually scattered, there can be a final, dignified end.

A crumbling burial plot is in many ways an undignified end ultimately. A last desperate gasp to remain relevant and remembered in the face of oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Whichever is cheapest and most convenient. Whatever happens, I absolutely 100% do not want my remains to be on display in a funeral home for every cunt and his mother to maul and make banal observations on how well I look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

Burials in the ground will soon be gone. Authorities won't buy land for the living. They're hardly are going to do it for the dead.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I want to be cremated while Rammstein's "Feuer Frei" is playing. Just when it drops I want the flames to soar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

buried wrote: »
    Burials in the ground will soon be gone. Authorities won't buy land for the living. They're hardly are going to do it for the dead.

Apt name for the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think my family need to be burdened either with the cost of a burial, nor the ongoing maintenance of a plot and the inevitable guilt when they realise they haven't been there in years. If they want to, they can fire away. Funerals are for the living.

Went to see my grandparents' plot in September. Took us an hour to find it because nobody had been to it in 20 years. Headstone was fine, but many others were not. Just faded, worn down stones beside a patch of grass that would look like any other if you didn't know different.

Bit of a sad, pointless tribute. At least if ashes are eventually scattered, there can be a final, dignified end.

A crumbling burial plot is in many ways an undignified end ultimately. A last desperate gasp to remain relevant and remembered in the face of oblivion.

On that happy note......

Private graves go for up to $36,000 in Hong Kong, and can sometimes be resold for multiples of that. Those who can't afford that can opt for burial in a cheaper public cemetery, but you only get the spot for 6 years, then you have to exhume the corpse and either find somewhere else for it, or get it cremated.

Even if you opt for immediate cremation, there's a 7 year waiting list to get a spot for the ashes in a columbarium.

Culturally, burial is very important in China, and they celebrate Tomb-Sweeping Day as a public holiday, where it's traditional for families to gather and clean the graves of deceased loved ones.

lead_large.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2015/jan/21/crowded-cemeteries-hong-kong-in-pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd like to be make into a taxidermy of me fighting a bear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Cremated and rocketed into space!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭boardise

When you kick the bucket would you rather go 6 foot under or into the cremation furnace?

Cremation I reckon -great warm up for life in hell.

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I'd like to be make into a taxidermy of me fighting a bear

CAn you find "the Taxidermist"? Its a Judge Dredd/2000AD story about future olympic games?
    Also in the future, sex, mixed couples will be an olympic even! If it was on 2000 AD in the 1990's it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would burial not provide fertiliser for the ground as you rot

Not if you're in a coffin (you can get eco-friendly basket ones, though, that will)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

soylent green

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

iamstop wrote: »
    Neither are very good for the environment. Consider a third option.

https://www.wired.com/story/alkaline-hydrolysis-liquid-biocremation/

I dont want to end up in an Irish Water sh1thouse, thanks.

Put me through a mince meat grinder, turned into sausages and burgers, then auctioned off on e-bay with the profits going to PETA.

Either that or a Viking funeral, I'm not fussed which option is handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Half and half for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭deise toffee

Sky Burial like they do in Tibet.The vultures clean your body down to the bones.Very clean way of disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Parentalunit

As they say, cremation, my last hope for a smokin' hot body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Bog burial please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Burial for me

Advertisement