Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The incessant requirement to "further" yourself at work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Yikesoc3 wrote: »
    Time is not valuable. We all have more or less an equal amount of time.

“A man who dares to waste an hour of time has not discovered the value of his life.”
    — Charles Darwin

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

American bolloxolgy turned me off the work place i was more intelligent and more educated than my manager and these pep talks and improvement measures bored me to death.

At the end of the day slavery never went away they just moved the pieces - instead of leg shackles we now have mortgages as the slave masters. Capitalism = slavery stay if you must. But as to listening to the bolloxolgy just let it in one ear and straight through out the other , pretend to care and just do the time. Dont be killing yourself for the guy on the super - yacht !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dont be killing yourself for the guy on the super - yacht !!

I did a bit of Googling for the craic, and ended up with the chairman of the overall parent company is worth just shy of $30 billion... Bet he doesn't fill in any of this shyte! But he is Asian, so that's a whole different ball game.

If only I could find a waiters job that pays €35k a year... I'd nearly even shave the beard!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭yoke

Ubbquittious:
    What draws people to the corporate world? I can't shtick corporate bull**** at all.

Well to be honest what draws me to stay in the corporate world is:
    1. My direct boss and his boss are decent, and don’t have unrealistic expectations (which seems to be rampant in small companies because the owner usually wouldn’t have done my job before).
    2. Salary is considerably higher than I’d get in a small company.
    3. I’m basically my own boss, my boss would only need to step in if I stopped managing my role to his satisfaction.
    4. Because I’m effectively managing myself, it gives me a lot of spare time to pursue my non-work interests and also I’m around for my kids if they need me.
    5. I don’t have to justify my presence or salary to my boss every 6 months as it’s not a contract role.

I can still bitch about the annoying things like the OP is doing, but IMO it’s still the best place to work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭bilbot79

The desire to further oneself is what makes most people perform well. If they cater to that what's the problem, if they encourage it even better.

In your post you come across a bit moany and anti-establishment which is fine once you don't display it in work. Remember all people's attitudes reflect on others around them. If the company wants it culture to be a certain way then the employees need to deliver on that. Buying into the culture is as much part of the job as the actual work you do so you should embrace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭yoke

bilbot79 wrote: »
    The desire to further oneself is what makes most people perform well. If they cater to that what's the problem, if they encourage it even better.

In your post you come across a bit moany and anti-establishment which is fine once you don't display it in work. Remember all people's attitudes reflect on others around them. If the company wants it culture to be a certain way then the employees need to deliver on that. Buying into the culture is as much part of the job as the actual work you do so you should embrace it.

I disagree with this sentiment totally. Having a false sense of “happy culture”/establishment results in a toxic place to work where no one trusts each other and will actually result in higher turnover among staff. At least this has been my experience.

It’s far better to encourage better and open rapport with management, which gives management a chance to fix problems. The only companies this doesn’t work for, is companies with **** management who don’t want to fix the problems to begin with, either way it results in high staff turnover.

In a past role (about 8 years ago) during one of these “obligatory performance reviews” which lasted about 5 minutes, my direct manager once semi-joked with me if I was watching Jerry Springer all day or what. I said I was mostly working on my fitness and martial arts, and anyway I’d be watching Jeremy Kyle not Jerry Springer. I was also only half-joking :) He had no complaints about my performance. I ****ed off back home after, and he went back to whatever the **** he used to do in his office all day.
    That is the way it should be.

Some people aren’t interested in putting in the time and effort required to change into a new and more senior role, and that is actually a good thing when they’re performing well and there aren’t many new roles available anyway in the company for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

bilbot79 wrote: »

Oh I don't, much in the same way everyone else doesn't until there's no management around and then we all have a great bitch about it. Well, used to, not so much while WFH as some people don't trust the private chats in Teams.

But I agree with yoke, it's not something that should be pushed onto employees. If they want to take part, great, but if they don't and are still performing their job as required, there should be no negative side of it. The fake agreement and smiling and "everything is great" attitude is draining tbh, and I can see that in many other people too.

Just let me do what you hired me to do, tell me if I'm doing anything wrong or could do something better, and leave it at that. Companies need to realise that a lot of employees know they're just a number, but are happy to be just a number and left to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭Degag

There is a certain merit to them. In the past i've gotten pay rises, increased bonuses and in a roundabout way a promotion because of them.

In the past i've also spent way longer than i should have completing them - i'm talking days and days - because some managers give them too much merit.

When done correctly by the employee and used correctly by an organisation, it can mean that someone comes to eye of management who may not have done so before. Now you may not necessarily want that as you don't want any added workload and the pressure that goes with it but it might also lead to better remuneration.

Just as to be a bit of common sense to the whole approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

yoke wrote: »
    I disagree with this sentiment totally. Having a false sense of “happy culture”/establishment results in a toxic place to work where no one trusts each other and will actually result in higher turnover among staff. At least this has been my experience.

It’s far better to encourage better and open rapport with management, which gives management a chance to fix problems. The only companies this doesn’t work for, is companies with **** management who don’t want to fix the problems to begin with, either way it results in high staff turnover.

Worked for a small family run company whose management had "notions", went to one too many management workshops, brought in the trappings of what they thought worked for multinationals, but on the cheap and without fixing problems that were already there.
    People left in droves.

One guy, newly taken on, had a look around on his first day and never came back for a second.

By all accounts, they still haven't figured out why they have a high staff turnover. It was a petty, toxic environment to work in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

Better off getting a menial job in a semi state around 20 year's ago and you'd be heading to the top of your scale and probably earning twice the salary of the manager from outside on a 2 year's contract, telling you how to do your job and asking you how the place works as well..

There's men sweeping the floor on better terms and conditions than the management, so if you had that kind of job you could easily write a book, zero bringing the laptop home, no phone calls from your manager after hours.

No 60 hour weeks filling the pocket's of CEOs and investors, the only target you'll have is the same target every day...

Some of the people with the best and most interesting lifestyle have these kind of jobs so that they can have a life.

Sounds counter productive, but at the end of the day it's a secure job , you've no hassle and your kid's will have a better future and job security is better than job insecurity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Something that's even worse than filling out these forms,
    Once you become a manager and have reporting agents under you, you've to work through these forms with them and review their content.

You really start to see behind the curtain at that stage.

Where I worked it was all just done to create a bell curve to work out bonus percentages.

Thing is, the forms people filled out had nothing to do with it, management would sit down and work out who was getting what based on our anecdotal experience with each person.

Those forms were all just busy work and to motivate the employees.

Looking back, they're such bloody awful places to work. The faux enthusiasm and utter lack of any kind of sincerity in these processes is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If you're good looking enough your sorted no matter how intelligent you are

No matter how non-intelligent you are.

Ps pics or you're spoofing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

o1s1n wrote: »
    Once you become a manager and have reporting agents under you, you've to work through these forms with them and review their content.

You really start to see behind the curtain at that stage.

Where I worked it was all just done to create a bell curve to work out bonus percentages.

Thing is, the forms people filled out had nothing to do with it, management would sit down and work out who was getting what based on our anecdotal experience with each person.

Those forms were all just busy work and to motivate the employees.

Looking back, they're such bloody awful places to work. The faux enthusiasm and utter lack of any kind of sincerity in these processes is awful.

I always hated the calibration meetings, managers just pushing for their favourites to be moved up a grade with no bearing on how those people had performed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I do believe in life long learning and all that in theory.

At some stage we must have got as good as we are ever going to be at the job, not going to go for promotion, just want to get on with it, dont need to be improving ourselves, or doing more training beyond the mandatory training all jobs have.

There should be space to say..no I am grand as I am.

worded wrote: »
    The three stages of employment in some places

1 ~ spring lamb. All entuastic
    2 ~ apathy
    3 ~ madness. Don't fight it. Go with it

In other places:

1 ~ You'll make a few gaffes. We accept that.
    2 ~ You're working to specified role. Ok. You'll get the average bonus too. And the pen etc.
    3 ~ You're long in the tooth. Sure, you have the degree and the other qualifications that tick the boxes but there's that little something missing. We don't know what it is. You've enough training and we won't spend any more training you. Familiarity breeds comtempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Wrong thread

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Like it or not, multinationals are under the never-ending quest for growth in incredibly competitive marketplaces and need to continually invest in training and improvement for the workforce. Lots of people like this and use it as a great opportunity to learn and grow, for themselves and their careers. They actively hire people who are adaptable and open-minded with a good attitude and give them training both formal and on the job, even giving education allowances - to better serve their roles and help their own careers. The smart people take all they can.

I've done pretty well in this environment, jumping between several different companies, getting a wide breadth of experience in different sectors, I've done countless training courses and worked in different departments. I then got the opportunity to go overseas with a company to build a new business and since then I've moved on to a different smaller company who want my experience and expertise to help to do the same. Over the years I've worked closely with hundreds of people - most happy to go with the flow, ignore the annoying Americanised bs if it annoys them so much, but take what they can to invest and grow their skills and career opportunities. But then there are the rest who do nothing but constantly bitch and whine and every little thing they are asked to do (aka 'Their Job') with little interest in actually growing personally and professionally. It's terrible as they drag everyone else in the team down and make managers jobs a lot more difficult. They usually won't get very far in the company and perhaps will be managed out eventually.

Personally I never understood it. OK not everyone is going to be a CEO but most in these environments want to learn new skills, experience new roles, better their career and ultimately - make more money to better their live and their family. For those who don't, then multinationals are not a great place - perhaps a career in the civil service or similar would be better suited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Today, the Civil Service also has PMDS. Deadheads who think that they can stay employed for a lifetime without learning new skills won't survive there, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Just let me do what you hired me to do, tell me if I'm doing anything wrong or could do something better, and leave it at that. Companies need to realise that a lot of employees know they're just a number, but are happy to be just a number and left to it.

It really should be that simple. They are only paying you a salary after all. They haven't bought your mind/soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Zascar wrote: »
    Like it or not, multinationals are under the never-ending quest for growth in incredibly competitive marketplaces and need to continually invest in training and improvement for the workforce. Lots of people like this and use it as a great opportunity to learn and grow, for themselves and their careers. They actively hire people who are adaptable and open-minded with a good attitude and give them training both formal and on the job, even giving education allowances - to better serve their roles and help their own careers. The smart people take all they can.

I've done pretty well in this environment, jumping between several different companies, getting a wide breadth of experience in different sectors, I've done countless training courses and worked in different departments. I then got the opportunity to go overseas with a company to build a new business and since then I've moved on to a different smaller company who want my experience and expertise to help to do the same. Over the years I've worked closely with hundreds of people - most happy to go with the flow, ignore the annoying Americanised bs if it annoys them so much, but take what they can to invest and grow their skills and career opportunities. But then there are the rest who do nothing but constantly bitch and whine and every little thing they are asked to do (aka 'Their Job') with little interest in actually growing personally and professionally. It's terrible as they drag everyone else in the team down and make managers jobs a lot more difficult. They usually won't get very far in the company and perhaps will be managed out eventually.

Personally I never understood it. OK not everyone is going to be a CEO but most in these environments want to learn new skills, experience new roles, better their career and ultimately - make more money to better their live and their family. For those who don't, then multinationals are not a great place - perhaps a career in the civil service or similar would be better suited.

There is a difference between learning something new and relevant to the job versus more training just to tick a box that says they did more training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

o1s1n wrote: »

Yeah I'd sympathise with that. Probably even more of a victim of the stupidity if anything. Not much a line worker or line manager can do to buck it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

An actual, defined path for progression can be a wonderful thing but not everybody wants that and it should be ok to say so.

Last place I worked, I was the only one of my team who had my skillset. I never figured out why I was hired but the people running the place kept bleating on about aligning your personal objectives with those of the company. I spent a lot of my time wondering what the feck they wanted

My new boss is really good but there's just not much I can do to learn that I would actually use. I have done several courses but it's in one ear and out the other within a month.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its extremely important to wear 'i am a legend' badges and t-shirts etc, going to annual reviews, always seals the deal for me

^
    The man

The Legend
    V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Why can't we just do what we were hired to do, and not be expected to "further" ourselves?

The answer to this is simple - they want to get as much out of you as possible along with you doing the job for which you were hired but keep paying you for that job and not for "furthering" yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

These reviews are just a way for the boss to justify promoting his buddies (cheer leaders).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Move laterally? If you don't want to move up? If you're learning new skills, surely you're improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I worked for an Irish subsidiary of an American company, once upon a time, and four of us were sent to their Texan factory to assist with production and learn a few things about the product. First day we get there, a Friday, they hold a mass meeting of all the shop floor employees and we are introduced to them and they applaud us and before long we get the ritual "hey, you guys are Irish? So am I...." and it goes downhill from there. We have to tour the entire factory and are introduced almost as if we'd just beamed down from a starship.
    Now, Texans are very friendly, welcoming people but it got to cringeworthy levels and we practically ran out of the place when the time came to knock off. Over the next few days, we all settled down and got stuck in and had a good time but we were excused having to do some of the "courses" that were standard for the locals, such as team-building days or basically being bullied to attend Company barbeques on a Saturday or a Company softball day on a Sunday. All of management turned up at these events and they considered it part of the job, even when they privately admitted that they hated it. We just refused to go to these events, as we regarded our weekends as sacred and not for wasting on bull**** like that.
    The Friday meeting turned out to be a normal event in the week and they liked it, as the managers would announce birthdays or promotions or special deals in the local shops, as well as talk about production stats and the wider Company. We were exempted from attending as most of it was unrelated to us. This was a time when topics such as race relations, sexuality, and religion were really only beginning to enter the workplace. Texas was quite non-PC in the 90s. On the shopfloor, they were all quite careful to mind their speech but some of the comments we got, once clear of work, made it clear that race was quite the hot potato. There were quite a few gay women in the plant and the back story was that gay women who were considered a "problem" were exiled to that plant from other plants, if they wanted to stay working and as the wages there were good, they ended up in that particular place. Being a gay woman in Texas wasn't that easy back then
    in terms of training, diversity training was just coming in then but it was treated with derision but the Company was starting to make it clear that it had to be done. they also had compulsory random drug and drink testing and there were no exceptions to that allowed. This was long before such testing ever arrived in Ireland. As for technical training, the Americans were all for it and encouraged as much as possible for any staff member. The Irish side of the Company skimped on it, did it only as a last resort unless they could blag it off the host Company and constantly refused requests for it. The American company, which still exists today and is still a big player in it's field, always encouraged employee progression, especially the taking of a degree and genuinely encouraged employees to submit time and money saving ideas. A lot of their employee relations were cheesy but their mentality was in the right place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Then you are better to be a contractor. Then every so often you’ll meet managers you’ll need to educate - they are just a client to you and you have no interest how the company does or what the politics are because your hourly rate will be the same regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,789 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The requirement to further ‘yourself’ is often nothing aside from the want of your employer that you upskill, do courses etc... marketed that YOU benefit but mostly its only the company who does...

I used to do a few in house courses in a job, they had a company university portal with loads of in-house courses which were decent in fairness but because of the nature of the business, negligible growth, automation taking jobs and making less opportunities for progression upwards or sideways, you were being encouraged to do these courses, only allowable in your own off the clock time with absolutely zero chance they’d benefit anybody aside from your employer, you’d get zilch apart from the cert on your file...

I gave up doing them as did everybody, one meeting the manager lost the head because he was under pressure from upstairs...the general reply....” well you can go tell upstairs, they don’t get to decide what we do in our spare time, do these courses ? Ok provide the time, on the clock... “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Today, the Civil Service also has PMDS. Deadheads who think that they can stay employed for a lifetime without learning new skills won't survive there, either.
    Copy and paste from last year, and add a bit of waffle. Rinse and repeat until retirement or premature death from the boredom of CS work.

Advertisement