Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you keep a journal? Why do you do that?

Options
  • 21-07-2020 11:13pm

I've kept a journal fairly consistently for going on 15 years. It used to be a record of my day to alleviate bad short-term memory, like "6pm, paid Pat" or "cut the lawn, 3 o' clock". It's oddly satisfying to look back and know what you were doing on this day many years ago.

Lately I've changed the habit to record the highlight of a day. I recommend this. The physical act of writing down your positive memories can reinforce these memories and make you more upbeat about the coming day.

We are a fairly forgetful species, so it's also just nice to record your happiest experiences, however minor they seem. You might forget them.

So do you keep a journal and why do you do that? If you don't do it yet, why not give it a try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

No because its extra stuff to look after when I could be doing other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

No! But I do keep a list, just make sure you don't end up on it!

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Song to the Siren

I keep a journal of all the "should haves" and "should not haves" I've made in my life. I get about 200 per year. The should-haves out weight the should-not-haves by about 12 to 1. I always make sure to give a significant amount of context to each instance I type up so as I won't look over it 12 months later and think "what the hell does that mean?".

One might think this stirs up a lot of bad memories but I'd disagree. I'm not trying to forget my regrets like most people. It's interesting to look over these and remember what the hell was going on in my head at the time. It's nice to think that I'll be far less likely to make similar mistakes in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

dont need to , ive an incredible memory , too good

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I've kept a journal fairly consistently for going on 15 years. It used to be a record of my day to alleviate bad short-term memory, like "6pm, paid Pat" or "cut the lawn, 3 o' clock".

And by journal you mean boards post history ?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 7 Song to the Siren

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    We all remember thing that we haven't thought about in many years. It's the diary that makes you think about things again. Otherwise you would not examine your current situation in the context of previous events.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Do you know what you were doing on this day in 2005?

On 21 July 2005, four attempted bombing attacks occurred in London, grinding the tube network to a halt. Chaos ensued.i was at home in my bedroom in Tipperary listening to 'The Streets' latest offering. Where were you, Sir? Have you any witnesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I have kept a log of my logs since the start of 2005. Pick a day and I can describe my bowel movement(s) in detail, including the toilet used (home, office etc.), time dropped, duration dropping it, weight, colour, consistency, odour, volume, number of wipes, pieces of toilet paper used, number of flushes and toilet condition afterwards.

It even has drawings of the most interesting and unusual ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Only of people who owe me money,with a bit of doodling art.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

On 21 July 2005, four attempted bombing attacks occurred in London, grinding the tube network to a halt. Chaos ensued.i was at home in my bedroom in Tipperary listening to 'The Streets' latest offering. Where were you, Sir? Have you any witnesses?

A Gard wouldn't ask you that......oh...wait...never mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

In 2005 I was at FCI Big Spring.And plenty of witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I hope you locked down your aerial.

I'd actually like to write them down but I'd be afraid someone would find them and read them. Not that my life is they exciting but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Is a journal similar to a diary that us plebs kept years ago?

A journal is what you write in when you have no.1 back & sides, a fringe that reaches your eyebrows, and you work in a coffee house/ art gallery/ yoga studio in Dublin 8.

Or if, like me, you've just seen too much American TV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've generally considered a journal to be what men like to think they're writing, whereas a diary was for the ladies. Kinda like women faint, men collapse. :D

And no I don't keep a journal/dairy. Never saw the point really. I'm not that interesting, I don't do nostalgia and if a memory comes up then it comes up, I don't need to read about it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement