Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst place you've lived/almost lived in?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

At the height of the Celtic Tiger, rented part of a house in Ranelagh. It was extremely difficult to get something at the time, and the rent was semi-reasonable. It looked like it was a fine house at one stage, but in typical Irish landlord fashion, zero effort was put in to make it habitable, and he cheaped out on everything

The carpets probably hadn't been replaced in 30 years, or at least it was impossible to make out what colours they originally were. The window frames were rotten, which became very evident once winter came. I had to tape up the windows in my bedroom to keep out the cold

Like a previous poster, the heat was controlled by the landlord. Only went on at certain times of the day and night during the winter which was fine during the week if you worked 9-5, but it was absolutely baltic when sitting in during the weekends.

The tiny bathroom had a leak in the ceiling coming from upstairs. I pointed this out to the landlord who blamed it on the tenants upstairs 'not using their shower curtain' which was kind of missing the point. We watched as the damp patch on the ceiling spread throughout the floor.

When we eventually had enough, the cheeky fcuker tried to bill us for the state of the jacks (all flood related). But did so before we had paid final rent which was cash in hand so I told him where to go. Left on amicable enough terms though and a few months later I was passing by so decided to check if there was any mail for us. To my surprise, the landlord answered the door, saying he was doing some work upstairs. Turned out the tenants on the second floor had a new years party, and the ceiling (very water damaged) collapsed into our old apartment below. No one injured thankfully, but our place was still vacant at that stage. Even after all this, the landlord was fixing it up himself to save a few bob

Reminds me of a place I actually stayed in way back. There was a two bed flat above mine (and to the left) and there were constant complaints about leaking water and such, just watching the stains grow across the ceilings and walls.

The real gem were the bin bags though. The provided bins outside were always overflowing, there needed to be three times as many bins to hold it all, at least.

That went on for a while, until the landlord copped on that there 14 (fourteen!) people living upstairs, hence the bin situation. They were quickly given the boot. I went up to see the empty flat afterwards and I was amazed that so many people were able to live there, it was very small even for 2 people. They had been working shifts all the time, every inch of the floors taken up with makeshift beds.

Crazy stuff. Like those trains in india with half a million people hanging off the side! But in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FakePie

drillyeye wrote: »
    Reminds me of a place I actually stayed in way back. There was a two bed flat above mine (and to the left) and there were constant complaints about leaking water and such, just watching the stains grow across the ceilings and walls.

The real gem were the bin bags though. The provided bins outside were always overflowing, there needed to be three times as many bins to hold it all, at least.

That went on for a while, until the landlord copped on that there 14 (fourteen!) people living upstairs, hence the bin situation. They were quickly given the boot. I went up to see the empty flat afterwards and I was amazed that so many people were able to live there, it was very small even for 2 people. They had been working shifts all the time, every inch of the floors taken up with makeshift beds.

Crazy stuff. Like those trains in india with half a million people hanging off the side! But in Dublin city centre.
    This in turn reminds me....

That place with the fat dude?

Well - years before I moved in, like way back - he described how there was a crack den/brothel upstairs.

I'm reminded of that specifically because, how you describe every inch of the floor being covered in mattresses.

That's how he described it also.

He also told a story of how he nailed one crack-hore, who was strung out on the stair case one time - in exchange for, I guess money.

Apparently the upstairs operation was raided and shut down after some dude jumped out the window in a hallucinogenic fit; obviously he didn't survive.

Some landlords - they're only concerned about the money.
    Humanitarian decency goes by the board.

I think that village in north Down where a bunch of teenagers behind me started sniffing incessantly when they heard my Irish accent talking to the person behind the shop counter must rank near the top of the greatest shítholes in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

We had a three "bedroom" apartment. In reality it was two bedrooms and a converted utility room which was making do as a single room.

I was doing an internship and had no money, so it had to do. We had:

Bedroom 1: A couple from China.
    Bedroom 2: Two single beds : Me and a guy from Germany, an inflatable mattress another guy from France and sometimes another inflatable mattress with whoever was in need of a house who we happened to know.
    Bedroom 3: Insane, grumpy woman who used to appear now and then to have huge fights with people for no reason.

I basically worked all day, ate out, and stayed in the office (overnight if I could) to avoid going home.

And for this I was paying £700/month.

I eventually found something better, but at that time, London was just off the scale nuts.

I think some of the farmer types that rent property in Ireland have real primitive values.

Like, they think dirty is trendy or something.

Skedaddle wrote: »
    We had a three "bedroom" apartment. In reality it was two bedrooms and a converted utility room which was making do as a single room.

I was doing an internship and had no money, so it had to do. We had:

Bedroom 1: A couple from China.
    Bedroom 2: Two single beds : Me and a guy from Germany, an inflatable mattress another guy from France and sometimes another inflatable mattress with whoever was in need of a house who we happened to know.
    Bedroom 3: Insane, grumpy woman who used to appear now and then to have huge fights with people for no reason.

I basically worked all day, ate out, and stayed in the office (overnight if I could) to avoid going home.

And for this I was paying £700/month.

I eventually found something better, but at that time, London was just off the scale nuts.
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

FakePie wrote: »
    I think some of the farmer types that rent property in Ireland have real primitive values.

Like, they think dirty is trendy or something.

Squalor is so hot right now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Dublin

FakePie wrote: »
    Where?

Well, it was partially my own fault for booking accommodation really too quickly and being somewhat ripped off. It was way too close in - London W8 on border with W11.

I arrived in London having been in the US and without anything booked. I was stuck in hotels, hostels and all sorts of stuff for days and running out of money fast, so I just took whatever was going via a recommendation from a friend. It was supposed to be a flat share, and I assumed I was getting my own room.

Whole thing turned into a complete mess and I just ended up having no time to sort it out as I wasn't staying long enough to make it worth while singing a long lease, so I ended up in just diabolically bad accommodation for several months.

The internship was extremely worthwhile, but the accommodation literally made me sick. Most of the time I got very little sleep or was couch surfing.

An utterly ridiculous industry too - working full time and getting paid token amounts as an intern. It didn't even cover lunch. I basically blasted through all my savings but got a worthwhile job out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Myself and a buddy lived a few months in a squat in Holland. We intended to work there for a year, but instead of going over and finding accommodation with the money we saved and then work, we spent 3 weeks in Amsterdam partying. Anyway, when we ran outta money we moved out of The Dam and moved to a large town south, we were sitting on a bench sizing up a bush to sleep under when I looked behind me at a large disused office block with a person going in its metal door. We followed in and met up with a heroin junkie from London who let us crash in his pad; a large office on the 13th floor. Turned out he was a heroin dealer. We met some very interesting people over the following months. Some people who gave up all for the skag, some had respectful jobs, others were hopeless and helpless. I remember one night he took out a guitar and there started to jam, only problem was there was only 5 unturned strings on the guitar. Us, we never asked for or were asked to try heroin, we fairly quickly learned some tricks on survival. The stench of the place was terrible and a sign saying "don't **** on the stairs" greeted you in the evenings from work. There was no water or electricity we showered at work and keet our valuables at the train station in a locker. We had 250 guilders left for 2 weeks unpaid when we got sorted for work 2 days later. We stayed until December; 3 months before heading back to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm an electrician and got asked to fit two florescent lights and four double sockets in a room in a storage area in a large restaurant in Talbot Street , the room was the size of an average sized living in three bed house.
    While I was there four sets of bunk beds were delivered , turned the restaurant owner was renting out this room to eight people.
    There was no door , just an opening and no windows either.

There's something seriously verywrong with accommodation standards both in Ireland and in the UK in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

deisedav wrote: »
    Please explain id like to hear. I Live in Waterford and think its a great place to live.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I was on to Waterford and they told me to tell you... 'Go f*ck yourself' :)

Go f*ck myself? A bit harsh!

I just personally found it a very depressing place to live. Didn't enjoy my time there at all.

Wasn't tying to be funny with my original post, I just wrote it quickly and haven't been back on boards since, I half forgot I posted it.

I don't live there anymore , and I'm sure Waterford is a better place without my depressed head walking around it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I wouldn’t leave a child with a priest, but a Garda vetted male/female teacher/she worker there’s no issue

This is OT but to see garda vetting as some sort of cure all, preventative measure is ridiculously naive.

Pretty much any of the high profile perpetrators in the past couple years wouldn't have been flagged by vetting.

Ireland's such a small country that there's basically no chance of a person being convicted of some form of child abuse and slipping in to anonymity and another job where they might abuse again.

ETA - a large proportion of abuse is committed by people well known to the victim, often a family member.

I'm an electrician and got asked to fit two florescent lights  and four double sockets in a room in a storage area in a large restaurant in Talbot Street , the room was the size of an average sized living in three bed house.
    While I was there four sets of bunk beds were delivered , turned the restaurant owner was renting out this room to eight people.
    There was no door , just an opening and no windows either.
    I also used to work with an immigrant girl; herself and her partner were in temporary digs similar to what you describe.

Due to an electrical malfunction, the place caught fire, and they were burned alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd one when I was in Australia. Rent in Melbourne was astronomical for people on Working Holiday Visas so a lot of what was available was through gumtree. Myself and my missus seen a room share for $380 a week in the city in a new block of apartments. Two bedroom, all mod cons etc.

Rang the guy who said there's two others living there and thought cool sounds good. We got to the apartment and went in. Turns out it was a one bed apartment with the sitting room converted to a bedroom. 3 sets of bunk beds in the sitting room. Brings is into "our" room which is pitch black as the blinds are pulled because the the people living there are asleep. There is two sets bunk beds in the room so when he said sharing with two he meant sharing the room. So 10 people living in a one bed apartment paying 190 dollars each a week. Absolute joke.

The other one is kinda funny and kinda scary. Me and my other half had gotten a job in Queensland doing regional work for our visa. An English guy (Josh) I lived with decided to come along with the hope of landing a job on the way. We'd a 5 day drive and we set off early in the morning. At the end of the first day Josh had found a job on gumtree which wasn't too far away from where we'd be finished for the night on the second day.

We got directions and he was about 8 miles from a town we'd be passing through. We pulled up and the house looked a little run down to say the least. Met the farmer who seemed ok but had lived alone for about 15 years just employing seasonal workers.

My mate thought it was grand so we left him there and went on to the next big town about 80 miles away to stay the night before setting off. Got a phone call at about 6am the next morning to come back, apparently when Josh got up for work the next morning the guy was sitting there in the nip playing with himself in the kitchen. The guy had refused to drop him into town and when we met him he'd walked about 6 miles towards town and was totally freaked out. Some of the pictures of that place were scary.

Cant police be alterted if somebody is making money from renting to a much larger group of people that the unit was built for? They are surely breaking many fire safety regulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is OT but to see garda vetting as some sort of cure all, preventative measure is ridiculously naive.

Pretty much any of the high profile perpetrators in the past couple years wouldn't have been flagged by vetting.

Ireland's such a small country that there's basically no chance of a person being convicted of some form of child abuse and slipping in to anonymity and another job where they might abuse again.

ETA - a large proportion of abuse is committed by people well known to the victim, often a family member.

agree. I checked the rules re teachers etc and there are safeguards built in that were ignored in the posts.
    regardless of what was said here . And I would never ever leave a child alone with any adult. I would never in my teaching career have been alone with a child in a school. And I wince at that idea now especially.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Cant police be alterted if somebody is making money from renting to a much larger group of people that the unit was built for? They are surely breaking many fire safety regulations

Health and Safety at the local council. Also RTB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »
    agree. I checked the rules re teachers etc and there are safeguards built in that were ignored in the posts.
    regardless of what was said here . And I would never ever leave a child alone with any adult. I would never in my teaching career have been alone with a child in a school. And I wince at that idea now especially.

Graces I don't know where you checked but you are wrong. My family comprises three generations of teachers at primary, secondary and third level. There are one to one sessions every day of the week in almost every school in the country. I don't know where, when, or for how long you were a teacher but you are just plain wrong about this.
    And wince all you like but the children benefit form the sessions, the parents request the additional assistance and that's all that matters.

Apologies for Off Topic, I know this has nothing to do with 'worse places...' but misinformation had got to be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Graces I don't know where you checked but you are wrong. My family comprises three generations of teachers at primary, secondary and third level. There are one to one sessions every day of the week in almost every school in the country. I don't know where, when, or for how long you were a teacher but you are just plain wrong about this.
    And wince all you like but the children benefit form the sessions, the parents request the additional assistance and that's all that matters.

Apologies for Off Topic, I know this has nothing to do with 'worse places...' but misinformation had go to be addressed.

And I think anyone whos been a pupil will know its also not true! I cant remember primary school that well but certainly all throughout secondary school we had personal one to one chats with teachers if we were having trouble, privately being told results, just needed a chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Go f*ck myself? A bit harsh!

I just personally found it a very depressing place to live. Didn't enjoy my time there at all.

Wasn't tying to be funny with my original post, I just wrote it quickly and haven't been back on boards since, I half forgot I posted it.

I don't live there anymore , and I'm sure Waterford is a better place without my depressed head walking around it too.

Yes i would say so

Yes i would say so

You'd say What?

Why so defensive!?

I wouldn't give a sh!t if people hated the place where I'm from/live. Everyone's experiences of a place are different.

Although you're making me half remember why I hated it there

Having lived in many low rental places... There was the one where they had laid stone tiles direct on bare earth so when there was heavy rain it kind of seethed in through them and mould grew everywhere. Oh and the bedroom ceiling was slatted wood with nothing behind it and the wind came straight in.. I spent an hour standing on the bed with a roll of sticky tape trying to stem the gale and slept with a scarf and hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I wouldn't give a sh!t if people hated the place where I'm from/live.

I might refer you again to my (not too harsh) comments above. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

When I first started seeing my oh around 2004, he rented this basement flat in the midlands for a while. It was damp and heated only by an old superser! It had one of those old yuck green couches. It was just a kip and freezing. We didn't really care that much at the time. I use to go up to him every weekend. Money was a bit scarce because I was in college and he was in between jobs and only getting part time work as a hgv mechanic. I use to raid my mams fridge before going down and bring down a load of food so we could spend money on going out instead :/:)

I remember we'd a bit of cash to spare so we decided to buy paint. I dont know why but we chose red paint, probably to make it look warmer. Half way through doing the sitting room, we got bored so we just left it half done :/ :pac: He was only there for a couple of months thankfully and then moved up with me.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I might refer you again to my (not too harsh) comments above. :)

Am i missing something here..you seem to give a **** though, why? What's the big deal?

At one house, there was a simple old straight wooden chair in the kitchen.. The landlord touched it with great reverence . Told me that old Mr ****** died on that chair.. "And the amazing thing was, HE NEVER FELL OFF."

They apparently found him there, sitting on the chair quite some while later..

You'd say What?

Why so defensive!?

I wouldn't give a sh!t if people hated the place where I'm from/live. Everyone's experiences of a place are different.

Although you're making me half remember why I hated it there

That Waterford would be a better place without your depressed head walking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I find myself overcome with the sudden urge to never ever go to Waterford anyways :eek:

Worst place I ever almost lived was not a very terrible house but the landlord was one of the most horrible people I've ever met. The outside matched the inside too, he was a great big obese greasy ugly man. I saw the ad on daft or whatever, rang him and he said he'd meet me when he finished work and drive me to the house (pretty stupid thing to agree to in hindsight). Grand says I, I'll be there at that time, I've long brown hair, green t-shirt. After I got in the car the first thing he said was "that's not a fcuking green t-shirt" (arguably it was more blue I suppose).

It was a summer rental in between college years, one of those houses that's had bits added on and bits falling off and things breaking and being kind of fixed and three rooms that obviously used to be one room etc. When he found out I was doing the viewing on behalf of myself and my boyfriend he said "I don't want to hear any complaints about riding now, do you hear me? Keep it down". Most of the tenants there were foreign students, one of them, a young Asian guy, was cooking in the kitchen as yer man showed me around and he said "This is one of the tenants here now. How're ya Ching Chong? Ha? Ding dong won ton..it's grand he can't understand a fcuking word and he's scared of me anyway". There were a few more things as well, I can't really remember, and then as I was leaving (refused the kind offer of another lift) I said I'd talk it over with my boyfriend and get back to him (would I ****) he says "I knew it! I knew the second I saw you you'd be a timewaster".

I'd love to have like a Butterfly Effect dealio where I could put my current consciousness back into that day and tear into him, I had no idea how to react at the time, I was only 20 or 21 and pretty sheltered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That Waterford would be a better place without your depressed head walking around.

That's settled my staycation for this year. I used like Waterford but you've put me off.

The worst place I lived was a three month stint in a tent on permafrost rocky island ,with just two colleagues for company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I lived in a car on the costa del sol for a week. In August, so was unbearably hot for 16 hrs a day.
    Was horrific.

Apart from that, smalltown Ontario, canada. A desolate wasteland with zero craic ppl

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

growing up in the family home:p

Ok, fook the niceties... Get over it will you, boo hoo a random person on the internet doesn't like Waterford!
    Go blow your nose and wipe your tears with a blaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ok, fook the niceties... Get over it will you, boo hoo a random person on the internet doesn't like Waterford!

I sometimes wonder how many nanoseconds it would some country folk to completely crack up if they had to put up with the jabs from every other county that Dubliners do. :pac:

Billy86 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder how many nanoseconds it would some country folk to completely crack up if they had to put up with the jabs from every other county that Dubliners do. :pac:

I know, the butthurt!
    I'm from a county that isn't highly rated in terms of GAA or tourism...or anything else really, and I get stick for it all the time!

Do I care?? Not in the slightest.

wakka12 wrote: »
    And I think anyone whos been a pupil will know its also not true! I cant remember primary school that well but certainly all throughout secondary school we had personal one to one chats with teachers if we were having trouble, privately being told results, just needed a chat

Actually the child protection rules were brought in no t just for the priests etc but for teachers, scout leaders, youth workers. Check online. The fact they are being ignored is worrying. The fact that they are not even known about is even more... I was a teacher too as was my father but those were different times. Too many damaged chlldren.

Fine to be one on one when clearly visible to others, but closed doors?

It was explained as protecting us from false accusations.

This is my last word on this; not the right thread; but please look it up ,

Skedaddle wrote: »
    There's something seriously verywrong with accommodation standards both in Ireland and in the UK in my experience.

Ads online; "old wardrobe,suitable for rental.." When you ask?"Well you never know who you are going to get.."

Ah jesus..........im over it. Sorry you didn't get on well when you lived there . I liked the blaa gag, very good in fairness.

Advertisement