Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are pub opening times too restricted in Ireland?

Options
  • 30-03-2018 8:36pm
    Site Banned Posts: 13

IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LIQUOR LICENSING ACTS

MONDAY – THURSDAY: 10.30am – 11.30pm

FRIDAY & SATURDAY: 10.30am – 12.30am

SUNDAY: 12.30pm – 11.00pm

11:30 closing time on the weekday is absurd, I’m a 8-4.30 Monday to Friday worker, but not everyone else is.

Friday and Saturday, 12:30 AM closing is just sadly pathetic.

Sunday, after 12:30? Should we all be in Mass? Closing time 23:00? Pathetic. Do we all have to up for school tomorrow?

How about we just let adults be adults and decide for themselves. We DON’T have a problem with alcohol in this country. I’ve lived in Germany and traveled extensively in Europe, the Scandinavians, Finns and Central Europeans would drink us under the table. Alcohol consumption rates lie in the middle of the European charts.

In other European countries, premices are free to choose their own opening hours, you don’t have lights flashing at ridiculous o’clock and people ordering 5 pints, guzzling then pouring out on the streets fighting and crowing onto buses and taxis.

I fully expect to be lambasted here and called an alcoholic by people who won’t even engage with me, they’ll just say I/we have a drink problem and that’s why the restrictions are in place :rolleyes: And the won’t back up their claim with logic and reason.

Are pub opening hours in Ireland too restricted? 144 votes

Yes, they should be deregulated.
    0%
    vafankillar 1 vote
    They should be loosened a bit but not deregulated.
    56%
    super_furryGuy:Incognitojam_mac_jam[Deleted User]kenmcFlexCool Mo DTheBullyRiesen_MealArcheronpaulosGreyfoxhowamidifferentgenericgoonmurpho999sugarmanGaladrielroverjoycerevz[Deleted User] 81 votes
    They are fine as they are.
    22%
    DermoIshmaelPassengerZebra3dotsmanodyssey06thee glitzIrishGrimReaperbuckwheatFanny WankYugiohpaulbokDoylershairyslugsaintsaltynutsstampydmonkeyAHOKDblue notepassremarkablemrwhimwham 33 votes
    They should be more restricted.
    20%
    Skatedudewexdevilchubba1984ollaettaCrookedJackmegadodgextal191ComhráflazioMrs OBumbleempacherklairondavisrocky bilboamartingriffflossy1scamalertstatesaverchrissb8whisky_galore[Deleted User] 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭hynesie08

In New York, bars are open from 8am till 4am

In Dublin, bars are open From 7am to 3am officially, and lots of places serve till 4/4.30 anyway.

What's the problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What's the problem??

You read the OP's post, bro?

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Shanowen Shakedown

In Dublin, bars are open From 7am to 3am officially

Which bars would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think it should devolve to the local council, based on the zoning.

Dublin City Council should be able to set one set of hours for city centre v suburban pubs in residential areas.

If Kerry wants to have different hours to Dublin, or different hours in summer, they should be able to set that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Does anyone remember when they extended the weekend hours to 12.30? Might have been around the celtic tiger era.
    It included Thursday nights too,which didn't last long. Apparently it was IBEC who kicked up a fuss, with a big increase in workers phoning in sick on a Friday.
    Irish people seem to be missing some restraint when it comes to drink availability.

• Advertisement

You read the OP's post, bro?

Yes, and any bar in Ireland can apply for a late license, which puts our closing time in line with most European cities, so straight away the faux outrage is misguided.

I think we should have dedicated nightclubs though, which can open till 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

No, it's true. Opening hours have little effect on consumption, which has been dropping for a long time anyway. Our drinking levels are low for a northern European nation

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

Not saying opening hours are good or bad, but anyone who believes that "the slippery slope" is a fallacy.....check this out.

It was logical that once good Friday was eliminated, the pressure would start to mount on other areas.

Every thing we do as humans is a slippery slope, and any fookin' gombeen that says its a falsehood is trying to sell you something/fool you with something. Then its on to the next step that they swore would never happen.

On topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Sesame wrote: »
    Irish people seem to be missing some restraint when it comes to drink availability.

And this is the problem, the average Irish neanderthal can't restraint themselves so they need someone else to control it for them.

Yes, and any bar in Ireland can apply for a late license

Why should they have to apply for a late license? So paying a few extra quid suddenly makes AM drinking more acceptable?

As long as a pub or any bar is licensed and above board there is no reason why they can’t operate 24/7 as the owner sees fit.

• Advertisement

Why should they have to apply for a late license? So paying a few extra quid suddenly makes AM drinking more acceptable?

As long as a pub or any bar is licensed and above board there is no reason why they can’t operate 24/7 as the owner sees fit.

Where else in the world does that happen though?
    New Orleans? Vegas?

To the best of my knowledge there is nowhere in Europe with 24/7 drinking as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

deregulate the lot and let them open whenever they want. the people who are getting off their heads on drink will do so anyway so the restrictions don't seem to be making any difference from what i can see.
    Snotty wrote: »
    And this is the problem, the average Irish neanderthal can't restraint themselves so they need someone else to control it for them.

they actually don't. the state has decided to control it however.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

New Orleans? Vegas?

To the best of my knowledge there is nowhere in Europe with 24/7 drinking as standard.

I was out drinking until 5 AM in Wrockław. The places may not open 24/7 there, but I doubt there’s any rules preventing them from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We cant allow adults to decide certain things - when to leave pub for example. People are idiots. They'd never manage.
    Closing times are there for a reason.

What will people moan about after its deregulated?

Seems to be more about the moaning itself, like a past-time, rather than the subject of whats being moaned about. With fooking everything!

Talk about having nothing to do in your life. Like me :)

drillyeye wrote: »
    What will people moan about after its deregulated?

Seems to be more about the moaning itself, like a past-time, rather than the subject of whats being moaned about. With fooking everything!

Talk about having nothing to do in your life. Like me :)

And we have a winner. I knew someone would attack the thread or the OP without giving a structured argument for or against the topic in question.

We cant allow adults to decide certain things - when to leave pub for example. People are idiots. They'd never manage.

That's the root of it really. A individual can be intelligent sometimes, but populations tend to behave like 13 year olds. They cant process the idea of having someone looking after them when they actually need it.

Teenagers rebelling against their parents.

And we have a winner. I knew someone would attack the thread or the OP without giving a structured argument for or against the topic in question.

Theres no need for structure! Its as plain as the nose on your face.....

"But my freedom to do whatever I want whenever I want!"

Teenagers throwing strops about literally everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Which bars would they be?

We all don’t live in Dublin either

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And yet they manage in Spain and Poland and New York... even Irish people living in those places seem to manage.
    If you treat people like childish idiots who don't have to manage themselves, you get childish idiots who can't manage themselves.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And yet they manage in Spain and Poland and New York... even Irish people living in those places seem to manage.
    If you treat people like childish idiots who don't have to manage themselves, you get childish idiots who can't manage themselves.

And that's why you dont change fundamental laws of social protection.

Governments aren't there to guide you into growing up. They are there to protect the terminal, never-gonna-change, "teenagers" of society. There is no end point, government isn't a transitional body, its permanent.

Who gives a shyte what they do in New York? Should I point to Saudi Arabia and hope to prove the opposite? No, because that would be a waste of time.

Jesus, youd think people were only allowed drink alcohol for 10 minutes a day. In my whole life I reckon I can think of once, maybe twice I thought "I wish the pub wasn't closed/closing!"

That in itself goes to show that the very people seeking complete deregulation, ie gagging for the gargle, are likely the LAST people to trust with responsibility :P

I still reckon its just moaners moving onto the next thing to moan about though, people are never happy! It'll get deregulated, then next thing people will be moaning about regulating it again. These are the ignorant masses, with nothing to fill their empty lives, just never-ending procrastination on merry-go-round points. Do something more constructive with your life. Like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

odyssey06 wrote: »

Oh yes, the Irish abroad have such a good reputation of alcohol moderation....... said no one ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I doubt it would make sense financially for venues to pay extra for staff, security and for entertainment for the relatively small number of people who are going to stay on drinking until sparrow-fart in the morning. Also there aren't the taxis and transport options to take pissed people home at odd hours, where I live at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The closing hours are fine. I don't find the idea of drunks wandering out of pubs at all hours and vandalising the town on the way home that appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I doubt it would make sense financially for venues to pay extra for staff, security and for entertainment for the relatively small number of people who are going to stay on drinking until sparrow-fart in the morning. Also there aren't the taxis and transport options to take pissed people home at odd hours, where I live at any rate.

i'd tend to agree, all though they wouldn't have any obligation to stay open. they would simply be able to stay open if they wished and the garda resources currently being wasted on policing closing times could be put to better use.
    The closing hours are fine. I don't find the idea of drunks wandering out of pubs at all hours and vandalising the town on the way home that appealing.

yet currently we have hundreds of people poring out on to the streets at the same time each night at closing time. that's even more of a problem tbh. the people who would be vandalising the town on the way home if the closing time was extended are probably already doing it dispite the closing times.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Putting back last orders on a Thursday night to 11:30 was a joke. Thankfully, many places I might be have late licences / happily push it out to a few pints after that.

I think turning a blind eye once you're not taking the piss is a fine Irish solution.

There's a few early houses in Dublin and licences for a some more and elsewhere would be welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

New Orleans? Vegas?

24/7 drinking is allowed in the U.K. and while in practice not many/any pubs do it you will have pubs opened very late and again in the morning so if you move around you can get close to 24 hour drinking. Also you can buy drink in 24h shops at anytime.

We have some early houses left in the county, in Dublin and Cork mainly and considering they are open from 7am until normal pub closing times they are never highlighted as being an issue. I've drank in them a few times too early in the morning and any messing will have you out the door. They are great craic and always have a great atmosphere.

24/7 drinking is allowed in the U.K. and while in practice not many/any pubs do it you will have pubs opened very late and again in the morning so if you move around you can get close to 24 hour drinking. Also you can buy drink in 24h shops at anytime.

We have some early houses left in the county, in Dublin and Cork mainly and considering they are open from 7am until normal pub closing times they are never highlighted as being an issue. I've drank in them a few times too early in the morning and any messing will have you out the door. They are great craic and always have a great atmosphere.

Exactly, 24h drinking is an option that most have decided isn't worth the hassle/money, if publicans in Ireland thought it was worth their while, they'd be campaigning for it.

And sure if I start in Slattery's and finish in workman's I can drink from 7am to 4am in Dublin. But yeah I should be able to buy a beer in a spar 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

When did pubs become "bars"?

Advertisement