Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could I be an Olympian in 2020?

• 22-08-2016 2:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the closing ceremony now. Looks like fun, I want to go.

I'm 30, don't really have a sporting background and am quite unfit. I'm wondering if there's any sport or event which would be easy enough that I could pick up and master over next few years so I can go to Tokyo in 2020. Possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If there was another Zika outbreak around the Japan region, and our golfers start pulling out again, you might sneak on to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If you really wanted to, a sport like archery could well be mastered in that space of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

At the rate OCI members are being investigated you might have a better chance of getting a spot on their board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Boxing. How much skill does bribing a judge take, really?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Weight lifting could be an interesting challenge for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Olympian by 2020! I admire your vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

thelad95 wrote: »
    If you really wanted to, a sport like archery could well be mastered in that space of time.

Ah yeah, piece of piss. Jayzis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

People train to be in the Olympics since they were kids. Ridiculous question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

OP it is seriously hard to master any sport, let alone one that your not truly passionate about. My advice is find a sport you love and you'll be happy, no matter what your level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

People train to be in the Olympics since they were kids. Ridiculous question.
    OP it is seriously hard to master any sport, let alone one that your not truly passionate about. My advice is find a sport you love and you'll be happy, no matter what your level.

is this yisser first ever look into an AH thread??

• Advertisement

Boxing. How much skill does bribing a judge take, really?

Problem with that is that you may end up with the likes of Michael Conlon beating seven shades out of you. Ain't no judge gonna save you from that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublinaccount

dulpit wrote: »

I'm 30, don't really have a sporting background and am quite unfit. I'm wondering if there's any sport or event which would be easy enough that I could pick up and master over next few years so I can go to Tokyo in 2020. Possible?

Remember when you saw the karate kid and decided you'd become a professional karate master.

Well this is another of those moments.

Add it to super-spy, tour de france winner and astronaut.

OP should possibly consider the new sports that are being introduced in Tokyo: karate, softball/baseball, sports climbing, skateboarding and surfing.

Of those, I'd say surfing is your best bet. We in Ireland have an innate ability with surfing, as displayed by your man who stood up on the surfboard after 14 pints of stout.

Would Guinness cause you to fail a dope test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Rowing is hard to master ?

learn_more wrote: »

Yes, rowing, as in rowing a boat takes years of building up the endurance & mastering the technique.

Rowing, as in having an argument, isn't so hard to excel in. But sadly it's not (yet) an Olympic event. Easy to get them confused. If it ever does get into the Olympics AH should send a team though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

How are people actually selected to go to the Olympics? Could we just send anybody and fill up all the available sports? Who wants to be in my synchronised swimming team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

learn_more wrote: »

Master as in compete at international level, then yes. We're not talking rowing a dinghy across Greystones harbour.

My guess would be anything that involves a horse. Let the horse do the work.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The host country is expected to have a team for every sport. Find out what the Jspanese have no history in, get Japanese citizenship and train like hell! :P
    (For the London Olympics, the organisers put ads in local French papers looking for handball players with dual citizenship, for example.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If Eric the Eel and Eddie the Eagle managed to qualify for the Summer and Winter Olympics then it must be possible to do it with 4 years dedicated practice. The trick must be to pick a sport that no one else from the country is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Del2005 wrote: »
    If Eric the Eel and Eddie the Eagle managed to qualify for the Summer and Winter Olympics then it must be possible to do it with 4 years dedicated practice. The trick must be to pick a sport that no one else from the country is doing.

Beach vollyeball?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

maudgonner wrote: »

Rowing, as in having an argument, isn't so hard to excel in. But sadly it's not (yet) an Olympic event. Easy to get them confused. If it ever does get into the Olympics AH should send a team though.

Problem is it would be impossible to reach a consensus on the best team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

dulpit wrote: »

How would you feel about the winter Olympics? I'm thinking of putting together a bobsleigh team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Shot put. Just bodybuild and stuff. I don't know.. where's my keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Australia just had a marathon runner at 40. His first olympics btw so yeh, go for it. I imagine getting olympic level good at something in 4 years is achievable but you'd have to be utterly consumed for 4 years.

I imagine the hardest part however is getting good enough to qualify in 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Rowing and Cycling have interchangeable skills. Rebecca Romero got a medal in rowing in 2004 then a few years later got one Track cycling in Beijing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

It sounds like a pipedream but... Im pretty sure one of the uk marathon runners in the commonwealth had been a beer swilling couch potato up until a couple of years before- did fairly well too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

thelad95 wrote: »

heard Simon Delaney talking about a programme he was making to do just this. The problem was that he would have had to be in the top 30 (or something) of the world to qualify which means numerous competitions in the run up to Olympics. Think he gave up after a year in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

You could with dedication, hard work and loads and loads of PEDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

heard Simon Delaney talking about a programme he was making to do just this. The problem was that he would have had to be in the top 30 (or something) of the world to qualify which means numerous competitions in the run up to Olympics. Think he gave up after a year in
    Quitter!!

(I hate Simon Delaney.)

Advertisement