Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it weird that I rather be at work than home?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Asmooh wrote: »
    If i have nothing to do, why not be at work then doing nothing? at least im doing something useful

Why do you need to be doing something useful? That question is not as mad as it sounds.

Why do you feel you need to have something to show at the end of the day? Sitting in front of the TV for a day is not time wasted if it's something you want to do. Do you feel guilty about switching off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Why do you need to be doing something useful? That question is not as mad as it sounds.

Why do you feel you need to have something to show at the end of the day? Sitting in front of the TV for a day is not time wasted if it's something you want to do. Do you feel guilty about switching off?

because I think that the time you have you should do useful things, can be work, or well if you think watching tv is useful then that is a useful thing for you.

but for me, watching tv of series isnt really useful and i only do it because i have nothing else to do.

When i lived in holland when I was bored I took the car for a spin (mostly in germany because of the autobahn) but also sometimes just driving to nowhere.

I hope next year is a better year and find people that do car meetings and stuff, because thats the only thing except work that I really like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Well if what you are doing makes you genuinely happy and are not masking over some other issues, I would suggest keep doing it. It might not be a popular choice but I wouldn't feel guilty or question it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I've heard people say this and similar before and I've never understood it.

There isn't enough hours in a day for me to watch stuff I wanna watch, read stuff I wanna read, fap to the things I wanna fap to, walk, wander, eat, trick at and that's before I consider things that need doing like housework and the like. There is tooo much to do. Remember Billy Connolly saying once that his ideal setting was unemployment as then he do what the fcuk he wanted. Are people just no good at filling their time or something? Fcuk me I'd fill two years right of the bat just watching foreign movies and box sets I've earmarked. As a great American philosopher once said:
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I've heard people say this and similar before and I've never understood it.

There isn't enough hours in a day for me to watch stuff I wanna watch, read stuff I wanna read, fap to the things I wanna fap to, walk, wander, eat, trick at and that's before I consider things that need doing like housework and the like. There is tooo much to do. Remember Billy Connolly saying once that his ideal setting was unemployment as then he do what the fcuk he wanted. Are people just no good at filling their time or something? Fcuk me I'd fill two years right of the bat just watching foreign movies and box sets I've earmarked. As a great American philosopher once said:

I dont get it either.

I love my job, but the stress and hassle of going to and coming from the job is a pain in the arse. If I was allowed work from home all the time, I could do 20% more work for free and still have more time for myself.

I'm also with you on the ability to ocupy myself. TV and movies to watch, games to play, books to read, research to do, code to write. Theres a ton of things I could be doing. Only thing Id miss would be finincial freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

because I think that the time you have you should do useful things, can be work, or well if you think watching tv is useful then that is a useful thing for you.

But why do you feel that you have to be useful all the time? That's the kind of thing that'll have you working yourself into an early grave, and do you think your employer will care?

If you like cars why not look into model car racing? I was at a model rally a few years ago and not only are the models serious pieces of kit but it's very popular with guys who race what they called 'big' cars too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

but for me, watching tv of series isnt really useful and i only do it because i have nothing else to do.

When i lived in holland when I was bored I took the car for a spin (mostly in germany because of the autobahn) but also sometimes just driving to nowhere.

I hope next year is a better year and find people that do car meetings and stuff, because thats the only thing except work that I really like

If you're into motors you could rent a garage somewhere and buy a car you like that needs some work done, then spend your free time tinkering up in the garage. A friend of mine does this - he can't wait to get up to the place after work.

But genuinely, it sounds like you just don't have enough interests / hobbies to me. There are so many things to do that I'm not going to start throwing random darts at things, but there must be little things at the back of your mind that you've sometimes thought you'd like to do / try / learn more about / create etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....My only explanation for it (after seeing my father in law struggle) is that people who prefer work are not engaged with the world around them. No interests, no hobbies, no interest in learning anything new, nothing sets them alight....

What might be true for some people, I don't think its true for all people who like working. Some people just love their work, or work in general. It almost always interests and impassion them. However I think most people don't end up working at something that does that for them. They might like it, even a lot, but its not an all consuming passion.

...But genuinely, it sounds like you just don't have enough interests / hobbies to me. ...

For some people work is their interest, hobby.

If you're into motors you could rent a garage somewhere and buy a car you like that needs some work done, then spend your free time tinkering up in the garage. A friend of mine does this - he can't wait to get up to the place after work.

But genuinely, it sounds like you just don't have enough interests / hobbies to me. There are so many things to do that I'm not going to start throwing random darts at things, but there must be little things at the back of your mind that you've sometimes thought you'd like to do / try / learn more about / create etc.

If i do that all my money goes to that rent and there is nothing left to spent on the car :)

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

In holland I had my own store, webshop, build website for people, phone repair, I was busy all day with work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,158 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Currently in the weekends, or after work.. lets start after work

When I come home I sometimes make some food, watch serie and go to sleep around 9
    In the weekends I don't do much more than the same, watch series and just be bored and waiting till its monday.

A month or two ago I could do overtime, so I work 8-7 and sat/sun 8-5 and I was fine with it.
    This week I could do 8-7 and sat 8-5 but not sunday, mostly sunday I am bored.

The house is clean 90% of the time because I make sure it stays clean, the rest I do after work or Sunday.
    I do go and walk trough the city so now and then but I have seen everything I want to see by now and its just killing time.
    Same with going to the pier or sandymount, just to kill time.

Jesus Christ man I'm so happy it was "time" you were killing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I work part time and my children are grown up, my parents are dead, before I went back to study part time I had a lot of time on my hands and on an occasional dull winter afternoon the thought did enter my head that it might be nicer to be in work. I have lots of interests and friend but its not really about that I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

What might be true for some people, I don't think its true for all people who like working. Some people just love their work, or work in general. It almost always interests and impassion them. However I think most people don't end up working at something that does that for them. They might like it, even a lot, but its not an all consuming passion.

Even if work was your passion its healthy to be able to unwind from it as well.

Although I do know some people who love work, I think that they are in the minority (not that that matters), but the danger is that if something happens like redundancy, company restructure, retirement etc can have a terrible effect on such a person.

In holland I had my own store, webshop, build website for people, phone repair, I was busy all day with work

Its not about being busy.

That a different thing.

Even if work was your passion its healthy to be able to unwind from it as well.

Although I do know some people who love work, I think that they are in the minority (not that that matters), but the danger is that if something happens like redundancy, company restructure, retirement etc can have a terrible effect on such a person.

That's just means those people shouldn't retire in the traditional sense. Many people retire and start a 2nd career.

That's not to say some people don't have an unhealthy attitude to work/life balance. But that's a different issue.

That's just means those people shouldn't retire in the traditional sense. Many people retire and start a 2nd career.

Theres also the aspect of being a "busy fool". Just doing it to be busy as opposed to deriving any real pleasure from it.

Theres also the aspect of being a "busy fool". Just doing it to be busy as opposed to deriving any real pleasure from it.

But if someone can get pleasure from doing nothing, or not work all the time. Its highly probable some people are wired the opposite.

Some people like music. Some people don't.

But if someone can get pleasure from doing nothing, or not work all the time. Its highly probable some people are wired the opposite.

Yes I agree, but what I am referring to is people who just stay busy to be busy, as opposed to enjoying being busy. People who have no interests and who feel upset or bored when they are doing nothing. But they dont love whatever is keeping them busy, they just do things so they wont be doing nothing. The busy isnt a passion, its just a way of avoiding doing nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was wondering, is that weird? I ment.. if I wake up in the weekends it's like: gosh again another useless day! and I'm happy when I wake up during the week or when I can work in the weekends.

Is this weird or are there more people like me?

I've a bad cold/flu since Tuesday night. Went to work yesterday and today anyway because I'd be bored out of my mind at home all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If they get pleasure from work that's great for them, but what will they do when, one day, they can no longer work due to illness, injury, or age? You need to have interests outside of work otherwise you run the risk of not only being bored out of your mind when you retire but being fckin' boring to be around (unless you have a super cool job).
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    I've a bad cold/flu since Tuesday night. Went to work yesterday and today anyway because I'd be bored out of my mind at home all day.

So you decided to infect your colleagues? Maybe when they're all out sick you can do their jobs too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

kylith wrote: »
    If they get pleasure from work that's great for them, but what will they do when, one day, they can no longer work due to illness, injury, or age? You need to have interests outside of work otherwise you run the risk of not only being bored out of your mind when you retire but being fckin' boring to be around (unless you have a super cool job).

So you decided to infect your colleagues? Maybe when they're all out sick you can do their jobs too :pac:

I'm off in the corner away from everyone. One of them infected me anyway in the first place :D

If i do that all my money goes to that rent and there is nothing left to spent on the car :)

It can be pretty cheap. He shares with 2 other guys and there's enough room for 3 cars + tools. It's only a hundred and something a month. Just an example anyway. ;)

That may be so, but the OP is specifically complaining that they wake up at the weekend and think "Oh gosh, another useless day", so regardless of whether work is their hobby, it may improve their well being and quality of life to have additional hobbies to fill this time.

It is possible to have more than one hobby. Many people have dozens and a shortage of time to devote to them all, thus never have this sense of guilt, boredom or uselessness.

Advertisement