Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phishing scam

Options
  • 02-12-2020 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

It's that time of year again when the scammers are busy trying to ruin our Christmas. I just got an SMS from an IEUPSSMS saying
    " Item stopped due to unpaid customs fee. Follow the instructions here: dodgy looking link

Any other suspect sms messages or emails doing the rounds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Yup. my wife got the same one this morning. Unfortunately she was expecting a parcel that would need a customs charge paid so she clicked on the link and entered her payment details. She was then directed a page congratulating here for setting up a "crazyhotdealz" account! Luckily her bank were on the ball and stopped the payment immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got it also.
    I was expecting various packages one could have had custom charges but I copied the tracking number to the official UPS website and it didn’t work.
    Also it looked a bit dodgy. However If I was half asleep I could have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Skyfloater wrote: »
    It's that time of year again when the scammers are busy trying to ruin our Christmas. I just got an SMS from an IEUPSSMS saying
    " Item stopped due to unpaid customs fee. Follow the instructions here: dodgy looking link

Any other suspect sms messages or emails doing the rounds?

Yeah i got this but didn't order anything in a while so knew it was a scam. But pretty convincing i think by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Got it too and am awaiting a package. Amazon have a mole somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They have loads of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Yup. my wife got the same one this morning. Unfortunately she was expecting a parcel that would need a customs charge paid so she clicked on the link and entered her payment details. She was then directed a page congratulating here for setting up a "crazyhotdealz" account! Luckily her bank were on the ball and stopped the payment immediately.

I got it too,the link in the text went to a pretty convincing ups landing page where the only option to click was a track package button
    I didn't click that,I presume it was after that they looked for card details?

I am expecting a ups package which is a fishy coincidence
    Is there any possibility that the link contained malware?
    Don't know enough about this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever click on a payment link on a text.

Ups don't send them, neither do FedEx, tnt, dpd, gks, an post or anyone else

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The statistical likelyhood at this time of year would be that most adults are waiting for some form of package; especially those with phones with browsers on them able to click links.

Nobotty wrote: »
    I got it too,the link in the text went to a pretty convincing ups landing page where the only option to click was a track package button
    I didn't click that,I presume it was after that they looked for card details?

I am expecting a ups package which is a fishy coincidence
    Is there any possibility that the link contained malware?
    Don't know enough about this

A possibility, but more likely just trying to get money and not loading malware.

If your phone is Android based, might be worth a read
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/4-signs-your-android-phone-has-hidden-malware-and-how-to-deal-with-it/

As for the fact that your expecting a package, just a coincidence, given the time of year and the market UPS have it's a common tactic to use their name/logo for scams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Got the same text message and also got a notification from the phone saying "automatically moved to spam"

• Advertisement
Advertisement