Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favorite Irish county

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

My own. Because I live in it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    it does indeed have great towns , Galways hasnt one decent town in it , the city doesnt count

Clifden, Clonbur, Roundstone, Kilronan, Kinvara to name a few...parts of Cong are in Galway too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Is there anything to be said for Roscommon?

500px-Island_of_Ireland_location_map_Roscommon.svg.png
    Yes you travel through it on the way to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

lcwill wrote: »
    No county in Ireland has so many great little towns, and so much beautiful nature as Cork.

Other places have some good towns and cities, there are a few that might challenge Cork for scenery and nature, but no other county has so much of both.

If I had to stay in one county for the rest of my life it would be Cork.

I know but then the people......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It has size going for it. Very useful during Level 3 lockdown.

Good point, imagine being stuck in Drogheda for level 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Dublin, I love flying out of the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Is there anything to be said for Roscommon?

500px-Island_of_Ireland_location_map_Roscommon.svg.png

No beaches?

Can you imagine not being from Cork la?

Last thing I see at night...
    First thing I see when I open my eyes...

Cork.

cork-not-cork-photo-2-310x415.jpg

Honorary mention to Limerick. Like Cork, only not Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I like Sligo.

Anyone I've met from Sligo was generally pretty sound.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Down, where the folks are from.
    Cork, cos it’s lovely
    29 others - no real preference
    Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Arghus wrote: »
    I like Sligo.

My aunty was from there and pronounced it Schhhhligo. Loved her saying it that day!!

Married a Caaaaavan man.

Man I love this country !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This is no contest. Dublin.

My blood is blue.

Any sorrow in my heart is healed by the cry of 'up the dubs'.

Walking the keys ..i feel alive.

There are ghosts in the air ...ether ..i feel they are reaching down my throat ever time i breathe.

We are a town full of pirates.

Dublin is hard and soft in all the right places.

Its a dark deep pool.

At one point it was called Devlin ...because we have a bit of the devil in us ;)

Its both dark and light and every shade of the valley of the uncanny in between.

The river of the great north south divide and the four quarters around her.

Its home.

My least favourite would be Limerick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I don't judge places on arbitrary lines drawn by the Brits.

Nor should you.

The GAA is a fine organisation and all but they have a lot to answer for in that respect. They perpetuated the imposition in cultural terms.

It was also remiss of the new Irish state not to re-do the local authority boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I know but then the people......

Some shower of langers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Arghus wrote: »
    I like Sligo.

Useless in a call centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Have to say Galway. The city, Aran Islands and Connemara. Cant beat it.

Next would be Mayo and third Sligo, a place just crying out to be explored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

bocaman wrote: »
    Weather is shocking, though

I think this must be the most under-rated county in Ireland in terms of scenery and everything - Galway and Donegal hoover up most of the plaudits, but Sligo is really beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Sligo is a hidden gem. So much diversity for a small county.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

Longford. I was asked to recite the twenty six counties once. I managed to get twenty five. Longford was the one that I could not for the life of me remember. But who in their right mind would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Clare, a beautiful and friendly county, Kilkee the highlight

Easily the nicest county in Ireland and lovely stunning town Kilkee is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Clifden, Clonbur, Roundstone, Kilronan, Kinvara to name a few...parts of Cong are in Galway too.

those are all villages bar clifden

those are all villages bar clifden

Fair enough. Athenry, Oranmore, Oughterard and Clifden.

The only sh1tty towns I can think of are Ballinasloe and Tuam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dublin, because it has all the stuff and has the closest thing we have to a real city.
    And Sligo, because I can get to Strandhill in about 2.5 hours, and it's beautiful around there and doesn't have the same diddley-eye touristy thing going on that you get in Kerry and other places in the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Actually Tuam once got a city charter and is very interesting from a historical point of view. It has 2 cathedrals.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think Wexford. Our family have friends there, been going since I was a kid. The beach by Grangecourt / Fethard on Sea, early evening in late July or anytime is stunning...sun beginning to set...the quietness, tranquility...super people, super beautiful place...

e7757334-978a-4dd7-9432-c7a248e0e0e7.jpg

Actually Tuam once got a city charter and is very interesting from a historical point of view. It has 2 cathedrals.

It is an interesting place. Not the prettiest.

whats good about athenry bar it has a train leaving it ?

oranmore is really just greater galway , it hasnt nor has it ever had any individual original character , its new money entirely

Clare

Kilkee, Spanish Point, Ballyvaughan, Fanore, The Burren, Miltown Malbay, Doolin, Lahinch, The Cliffs of Moher.

I'd give Kerry and Donegal a shout too but Clare ahead of them. Helps that it's an easy drive to Galway, Limerick and Shannon too.

whats good about athenry bar it has a train leaving it ?

Athenry Castle, the archway in the town, the river running through it, very good Hurling team, golf course and accessible due to motorway and train station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

My least favourite would be Limerick..

No offence to anyone from limerick but I have to agree- while there’s some pretty countryside it’s overall pretty drap- endless flat wet fields full of rushes in parts.
    Wicklow is beautiful, Leitrim is the hidden gem for me- you hear nothing much about it but it’s a gorgeous county and Carrick on Shannon is one of Ireland’s nicest and best set towns by the Shannon

Shannon Erne canal waterway is another underused gem. Walks along it and you can do some water activities too on the likes of Lough Allen I

mfceiling wrote: »
    Kilkenny is a great county. Lovely people, beautiful countryside, lovely little villages and Kilkenny city is a great place to visit.

I’m so biased as I live there but the countryside is beautiful with rolling farmland and the river valleys. A person I worked with from Holland said to me before it’s the Ireland she had an image of her in head. Down by Inistioge, Thomastown and into new Ross are lovely.
    All the south east Carlow Wexford Waterford and Wicklow have some lovely countryside and often off the beaten track too

Longford. I was asked to recite the twenty six counties once. I managed to get twenty five. Longford was the one that I could not for the life of me remember. But who in their right mind would.

I’m going to defend Longford here- the town was turned into a ghetto and it gets a bad name.
    But there is some lovely spots by the Shannon, Ardagh, Cairn Hill, Lanesborough and of course the new Centre Parks is a massive coo for them and Westmeath

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Well it definitely isn't Cork anyways.

Thanks for asking btw.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Well it definitely isn't Cork anyways.

Thanks for asking btw.

As a Kilkenny man we were supposed to hate cork lol but I just can’t do it - the people are so friendly down there- they’ll chat away to you at the drop of a hat, have a great positive outlook on life, great work ethic and attitude- always a pleasure to work with cork people in my experience in work and business.
    County itself speaks for itself - it’s beautiful and a lovely place to visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Too many liberals.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    No offence to anyone from limerick but I have to agree- while there’s some pretty countryside it’s overall pretty drap- endless flat wet fields full of rushes in parts.
    Wicklow is beautiful, Leitrim is the hidden gem for me- you hear nothing much about it but it’s a gorgeous county and Carrick on Shannon is one of Ireland’s nicest and best set towns by the Shannon

Shannon Erne canal waterway is another underused gem. Walks along it and you can do some water activities too on the likes of Lough Allen I

Id hardly call Carrick on Shannon a town, its more of a village. Nice to pass through but wouldn't want to stay there for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I find coming across someone from Leitrim exceedingly rare.

I hope you at least apologise and wipe it off when it does happen. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Donegal for me. I used to venture up there a few years back on my own with the mountain bike in the boot in the dead of winter. Not a soul around and barely any tress but heaps of atmosphere. Malin Beg is one of the many highlights, below. The walls that surround the water inlet create a strange echo. Not a sinner on the beach when I was there last in January 2008.

Silver-Strand_FULL.jpg

• Advertisement

Athenry Castle, the archway in the town, the river running through it, very good Hurling team, golf course and accessible due to motorway and train station.

so do countless rural towns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Id hardly call Carrick on Shannon a town, its more of a village. Nice to pass through but wouldn't want to stay there for too long.

If that's the case it's the biggest village I've ever seen :rolleyes:

It’s a town clearly. 5,000 people I think. Well clearly many disagree with you

of course its a town ( and a cracking one at that for its size )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I’m going to defend Longford here-... new Centre Parks is a massive coo for them ...

You might not have done French in school. But you at least should have tried English.
    You offered a robust defence of the county all the same.
    Too many liberals.

Isn't it great to tidy them all away into a single place all the same?! County Galway people usually have their feet on the ground moreso I found.

Limerick has Limerick City though, which puts it over the top of everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement