Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teenagers

Options
  • 30-11-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

After reading something on a local forum.

Is who a teenager hangs around with as a teenager a massive influence on how life turns out for them?

To me, it has somewhat of an influence but not much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Who's bad, who's being hanging out with your teenagers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Mine are long since grown up.

Whom should be used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition. When in doubt, try this simple trick: If you can replace the word with “he”’ or “’she,” use who. If you can replace it with “him” or “her,” use whom.

Who should be used to refer to the subject of a sentence.
    Whom should be used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

mariaalice wrote: »
    After reading something on a local forum.

Is who a teenager hangs around with as a teenager a massive influence on how life turns out for them?

To me, it has somewhat of an influencebut not much.

Yes. Choices you make between 12-18 have a huge influence on your life. Those choices are influenced by your peers more than anything.

You can’t pick your family. You can pick your friends and you will be judged by the company that you keep.

Lie down with dogs....get up with fleas etc etc.

893bet wrote: »
    Yes. Choices you make between 12-18 have a huge influence on your life. Those choices are influenced by your peers more than anything.

You can’t pick your family. You can pick your friends and you will be judged by the company that you keep.

Lie down with dogs....get up with fleas etc etc.

individual choose their tribe as teens so if you are a twitcher who like fantasy books you will hang around with others who are the same, it's the same with being into fitness or sport or drugs or alcohol, in other words, it's mostly a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Teenagers scare the living **** out of me

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm not saying it's drugs people but it's quite possibly drugs people.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

mariaalice wrote: »
    Mine are long since grown up.

Whom should be used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition. When in doubt, try this simple trick: If you can replace the word with “he”’ or “’she,” use who. If you can replace it with “him” or “her,” use whom.

Who should be used to refer to the subject of a sentence.
    Whom should be used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition.

You're correct about usage but the person to whom you're replying also used who/whom correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Whom's teenagers were bullied?

Vita nova wrote: »
    You're correct about usage but the person to whom you're replying also used who/whom correctly.

Yes but the person replying was attempting to score a point via a comment based on grammar something I strongly dislike, as it can stop individuals with poor writing skills from taking part.

Plus it's often an attempt to be superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Grammar police alert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hanging round with undesirables likely increases the chances of a kid going down the wrong path. Probably doesn’t guarantee it but do you want to take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

You know I'm bad, I'm bad (Really really bad)
    And the whole world has to answer right now
    Just to tell you once again.
    Who's bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Probably to a degree but I think that's just an excuse.

I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was a teenager, I was never pressured into drinking, drugs, having unprotected sex, etc... Hopefully you grow out of it.

Advertisement