Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A&E Charges

• 22-07-2020 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if right section but couldnt find anywhere else suitable.

I know there is a 100 euro charge to visit an A&E. Is there another charge if you need to visit for same issue 8 weeks later?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Yes.

You'll be charged for each attendance at A&E, unless:

1) you were referred there by a GP, in which case you'll have got a letter from the GP

2) you have a medical card

3) your attendance in A&E results in you being admitted to the hospital as an in-patient, in which case you'll be subject to the hospital's in-patient charges instead.

I'm not sure if there is a cap in the same way that there is with public in-patient charges but I don't think there is. Don't put something off for the sake of 100 quid tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Are you planning an accident in 8 weeks time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

dan786 wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure if right section but couldnt find anywhere else suitable.

I know there is a 100 euro charge to visit an A&E. Is there another charge if you need to visit for same issue 8 weeks later?

Thanks

If you return, unplanned, to the ED, yes there is a fee.

If you are called back for a scheduled Out Patients appt, no fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

gogo wrote: »

I think he's standing outside A&E right now , trying to find a way not to pay the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Thanks.

So this only refers to if the hospital calls you in? Even though the issue is still there since the original visit?

"The charge applies to the first visit in relation to an illness or accident. If you have to return for further visits to an out-patient clinic in relation to the same illness or accident, you should not have to pay the charge again." from here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/gp_and_hospital_services/hospital_charges.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Could he avoid the second charge by hiding in the hospital for the 8 weeks?

gogo wrote: »

Nope, I was there 8 weeks ago and the issue is still there hence the question. I paid the original fee there and then so was just wondering if there will be a second charge.

I know with a GP there is charge initially but then a follow up is free/much cheaper within certain time frame.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there is a cap in the same way that there is with public in-patient charges but I don't think there is. Don't put something off for the sake of 100 quid tho.

Yes there is a yearly cap.

I will pay the full 100, not putting it off.

I have read that some private hospitals allow a free follow up within 6 weeks of original treatment.

I am not trying to avoid paying a fee at all, just couldn't find clear info online and there is some conflicting info also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nope, I was there 8 weeks ago and the issue is still there hence the question. I paid the original fee there and then so was just wondering if there will be a second charge.

I know with a GP there is charge initially but then a follow up is free/much cheaper within certain time frame.

No second charge.

Out-patients = no fee.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Thanks.

So this only refers to if the hospital calls you in? Even though the issue is still there since the original visit?

"The charge applies to the first visit in relation to an illness or accident. If you have to return for further visits to an out-patient clinic in relation to the same illness or accident, you should not have to pay the charge again." from here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/gp_and_hospital_services/hospital_charges.html

Well that's different to presenting to A&E twice. You're not going back to A&E, you're going to the hospital as an out-patient for an appointment. No you won't be charged for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement