Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Obese Children be put into care?

Options
2»

Comments

Do you know anyone that has grown up in the care of social services? Taking a child into care for being overweight would be a great disservice to the child. Parent education and active intervention is a far better solution than sending a child in to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

absolutely not , state over reach gone crazy

if you ignore your health however , the state should not be expected to provide you with free care which is why i oppose public health care of the current variety

the likes of travellers who have a poor diet cost the HSE a whole lot more on average

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

peckerhead wrote: »
    This has to be one of the most dumb-ass questions I've seen on AH in a while. And that's saying something.

Boy have you missed out! Its, I'd estimate, the 4th time this exact question has popped up as a thread starter since I joined in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

and who are you to decide who is fat?
    and it's the parents fault.............

Could use the rudimentary body mass index method or the DEXA technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

YFlyer wrote: »
    Could use the rudimentary body mass index method or the DEXA technology.

and here was i thinking you could use the stupid scale - measures both weight and thoughts

• Advertisement

peckerhead wrote: »
    This has to be one of the most dumb-ass questions I've seen on AH in a while. And that's saying something.

Why is it stupid?

I think the answer is No, children should never be taken away from their parents except if the child is the victim of physical or mental abuse.

But is childhood obesity not a form of physical abuse? It belongs in the same category, as far as I care, as second hand smoking. It might be worse. There absolutely should be an intervention, although ripping the child from the arms of his mother is a very last and extreme resort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why is it stupid?

I think the answer is No, children should never be taken away from their parents except if the child is the victim of physical or mental abuse.

But is childhood obesity not a form of physical abuse? It belongs in the same category, as far as I care, as second hand smoking. It might be worse. There absolutely should be an intervention, although ripping the child from the arms of his mother is a very last and extreme resort.

It's stupid because the person asking, doesn't even care about the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Why is it stupid?

Jayzuz though if second hand smoke is comparable for child snatching purposes to letting them become fat now then almost every child born in the 60s and 70s would have been brought up in institutions. Even the la dee da Mammys back then kept the windows of the Cortina firmly rolled up while they smoked and gave not a single fcuk about the 15 childer killing each other on the back seat.

The Mammys smoking probably made us grow up stronger and sexier, like we were already a little bit French.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

Removing a child from their parents causes a massive trauma. The trauma likely to be caused by remaining with the parents needs to be more significant than the trauma of removal to justify removal. The care system is crap (I say that as a social worker) and it should only be used as a last resort when no other option is available to the state.

Surely the answer is education and disincentivising high calorie/low nutrient food? I have no objection to state intervention in family life when obesity is happening in a family home, however, removal to care is not the answer here.

• Advertisement

But here's a connundrum...the fat kids would have a fair to medium chance of being taken into care by fat social workers and fat case workers overseen by fat directors of instititions :( it's never going to work.

and here was i thinking you could use the stupid scale - measures both weight and thoughts

You mean poids?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

YFlyer wrote: »
    You mean poids?

exactly poids.
    sure everyone knows how to use the stupid scale
    even french people

exactly poids.
    sure everyone knows how to use the stupid scale
    even french people

Sure they have the French Bureau International des Poids et Mesures.

Malnourished children are generally removed from abusive parents. Shouldn’t fat children be removed from parents, as this is the same level of abuse as under feeding?

The authorities would take away an infant or toddler that be on a vegan diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I saw a good documentary on the life of an overweight American kid once. Turns out there is a link between being overweight as a child and psychopathic behaviour. He stabbed Rob Reiner and once fed another boys parents to him in a chili after having them shot. Had some serious anti-semitic views too. Very sad case.

Pretty sure most of them just like chocolate and sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Obesity can be caused my many factors. ‘Look a fat kid, blame the parents !’ Is an ignorant stance.

Medical reasons why a child can be obese / overweight

- prader-willi-syndrome

- Cushings Syndrome

- hypothyroidism

Medications that are prescribed to help with epilepsy, diabetes, antidepressants, as well as medicine for schizophrenia all can and do cause serious weight gain.

You don’t need to put somebody in care to help them loose weight.

Strumms wrote: »
    Obesity can be caused my many factors. ‘Look a fat kid, blame the parents !’ Is an ignorant stance.

Medical reasons why a child can be obese / overweight

- prader-willi-syndrome

- Cushings Syndrome

- hypothyroidism

Medications that are prescribed to help with epilepsy, diabetes, antidepressants, as well as medicine for schizophrenia all can and do cause serious weight gain.

You don’t need to put somebody in care to help them loose weight.

More factors the past 2 decades compared to previous 2 decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

You also have to factor in kids nowadays aren't near as active as we were.Eating ****e and staring at screens,young parents use technology to babysit their offspring.Plus they don't cook wholesome dinners,instead relying on takeaways.Thats the future lads,it's all downhill from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

The Chinese government send the fat kids to boot camps where they are reprogrammed.

The Chinese Government sends people who get the equivalent of infractions from a boards.ie moderator to a boot camp where they're reprogrammed.

It's a favourite solution of the CCP, but hardly an acceptable way of dealing with anything in a democracy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The obese children ive encountered have nearly always had obese parents. The parents have terrible food habits which they pass down onto their children.
    I dont think the children should be placed in care but they should be assigned a social worker, the parents should be sent on food/healthy eating courses which should include lessons on appropriate food portion sizes and mental health classes to help with any eating disorders/bad eating habits that the parents have difficulty controlling.
    It should be mandatory for parents to have their child see a doctor once a month to monitor their health, if they dont comply a social worker intervenes.

I had an obese friend in school and her mother made her lunches, the size and quantity of her lunch was more than a healthy person would eat in an entire day, she would also have money for soup, rolls, crisps and sweets in the school canteen.
    She has two kids now and theyre both obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

Determine the cause of the obesity first, educate the parents on nuitirion and exercise second.

Depression it's one of the causes.
    Now treating a child with depression in Ireland with an overloaded mental health system the country has, it's impossible.

Going private, the cost it's beyond for most of the working people.

Advertisement