Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uncomfortable when getting credit or compliment

• 17-03-2020 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else ever feel uncomfortable when being given credit or a compliment even when it is well deserved?
    I don't know why but I've never been comfortable at receiving credit or compliments.
    I recently had my yearly review and my manager was very complimentary and positive about my performance and I know the praise he gave me was deserved as I have performed well, but, whilst he was praising me, internally I felt slightly uncomfortable and even got slightly emotional (didn't let my manager see this), I'm not normally an emotional person.

If I ever get undue praise I'll always point out that the praise should be directed to whoever deserves it; I've seen other people happily take praise for other people's work and can't understand how they can do this with a clear conscience.

It's not a big issue (especially in light of current events) just wondering if anyone else has trouble receiving praise or compliments even when deserved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Does anyone else ever feel uncomfortable when being given credit or a compliment even when it is well deserved?
    I don't know why but I've never been comfortable at receiving credit or compliments.
    I recently had my yearly review and my manager was very complimentary and positive about my performance and I know the praise he gave me was deserved as I have performed well, but, whilst he was praising me, internally I felt slightly uncomfortable and even got slightly emotional (didn't let my manager see this), I'm not normally an emotional person.

If I ever get undue praise I'll always point out that the praise should be directed to whoever deserves it; I've seen other people happily take praise for other people's work and can't understand how they can do this with a clear conscience.

It's not a big issue (especially in light of current events) just wondering if anyone else has trouble receiving praise or compliments even when deserved?
    Same here, especially with managers. I don't know where to look and end up nearly insulting the person who complimented me trying to turn it around.

Also when playing music live, if I'm leading the song I abruptly stop or just do a stupid ending because clapping and cheering is like toxic waste to my ears. God forbid anyone compliment my playing afterwards. I usually bring a change of clothes and perform in a hat that covers my face.

If anyone at all says I look nice, I go away to the bathroom and mess myself up so it lowers the risk of it happening again.

I'm a "mind over matter" person. I'm in my head, when someone is speaking to me it's a nice exchange of thoughts and sentiments. Whenever I'm dragged out of my thoughts and made reflect on physical stuff, I just feel so uncomfortable, like yourself. Also, like yourself, I'm very complimentary of others.

Do we maybe have self-esteem issues? I always thought I was a cocky sausage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

One of the best posts ever, you have really outdone yourself there OP, huge credit to you, well done!!

You’re looking well too, have you lost weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just force yourself to say thank you!

My answer is yes, I feel embarrassed when complimented. I understand it is a (mild) self esteem thing, according to those who know me well enough. I’ve started to learn to take the compliment (as long as it’s real and not plámás) and say “Thank you”.. And then move on

I find that even doing that is challenging enough but working at it definitely helps

Incidentally, Plámás is a wonderful word that, as far as I know, has no direct English equivalent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nah. I'm an arrogant prick so only get uncomfortable if they take too long to be effusive in their praise. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

frag420 wrote: »
    One of the best posts ever, you have really outdone yourself there OP, huge credit to you, well done!!

You’re looking well too, have you lost weight?

Stop with the compliments,feel really uncomfortable now, you're killing me!!

Stop with the compliments,feel really uncomfortable now, you're killing me!!

TBH I didn't think you could better your first post but this one is exceptional, go you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

What are you, in arrears just take the damn credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's something very feminine about her avatar too, really really nice.

Kinda sexy if the truth be told.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I ignore compliments and insults equally.
    If 100 people told me I was an ass-hat I wouldnt pay them any attention.
    Equally if 100 people told me I was great and should get both the parachutes I wouldnt pay them any attention either.

• Advertisement

I ignore compliments and insults equally.
    If 100 people told me I was an ass-hat I wouldnt pay them any attention.
    Equally if 100 people told me I was great and should get both the parachutes I wouldnt pay them any attention either.

You’re a great ass-hat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP is Mr F , he woke up this morning feeling a bit girly , one of his many personalities.

hey, it's a lot cheaper than giving you a big raise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Just take the compliment and stop putting yourself down in your head. Enough people will do that in life just take it all in your stride with a pinch of salt knowing all this praise etc. can change in a switch.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Just take the compliment and stop putting yourself down in your head. Enough people will do that in life just take it all in your stride with a pinch of salt knowing all this praise etc. can change in a switch.

Very true.

She sounds like a bit of a loser to be honest.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

chrissb8 wrote: »

I agree with what you're saying, as I've said it's not really a big issue and is not having a huge affect on my life, I was just wondering if other people have a similar reaction when getting compliments.

Very true.

She sounds like a bit of a loser to be honest.

Why do you think that?

OP is Mr F , he woke up this morning feeling a bit girly , one of his many personalities.[/QUOTE
    I know who you're referring to, I'm not him. I'm sure he's busy opening other threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

On the surface I'd be dismissive, though in recent years I have been known to utter a polite thanks before quickly changing the subject.
    Inside I'd probably be quite chuffed but wouldn't let it go to my head.

• Advertisement

Why do you think that?

Two guys named Statler and Waldorf told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Imposter syndrome with a sprinkling of external locus of control?

valoren wrote: »
    Imposter syndrome with a sprinkling of external locus of control?

Hi Valoren, could you go into a little more detail.

There is nothing wrong with being humble..It seems to have went out of fashion though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Well what is it your meant to say 20 euro 085 or meteor?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Hi Valoren, could you go into a little more detail.

Imposter syndrome as in you're perfectly good at what you do but there is an unwarranted anxiety about your own percreived ability and that you will eventually be found wanting (when you won't) and where the external locus of control means you place the reasons for any success (or failures) with external factors e.g. your work performance was successful because of others contributing instead of an internal control which would have you feel that it was your commitment and work which brought about success. If it was a failure someone with an external locus of control would do the opposite ie blame everyone and anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Yes I feel you .

My girlfriend told me the other night I had the biggest willy out of all my friends ..

I didn’t know where to look ..

valoren wrote: »
    Imposter syndrome as in you're perfectly good at what you do but there is an unwarranted anxiety about your own percreived ability and that you will eventually be found wanting (when you won't) and where the external locus of control means you place the reasons for any success (or failures) with external factors e.g. your work performance was successful because of others contributing instead of an internal control which would have you feel that it was your commitment and work which brought about success. If it was a failure someone with an external locus of control would do the opposite ie blame everyone and anyone else.

Thanks for the reply, I think you're right about the imposter syndrome, but, not about the external locus of control, from you're explanation I'd identify more with having an internal locus of control as I feel it was my commitment and work which brought about success.and I take responsibility for any failures

Advertisement