Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are pub opening times too restricted in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

They should be loosened a bit but not deregulated.
    Pubs should be able to open and close when ever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

They should be more restricted.
    think its larger problem that most people seem like alcos in this case that things like pub times are worth a topic, if one has issue that they cant sit on wed or some mid week day overnight drinking its deeper problem then pubs being open, that one should seek actual help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

scamalert wrote: »
    think its larger problem that most people seem like alcos in this case that things like pub times are worth a topic, if one has issue that they cant sit on wed or some mid week day overnight drinking its deeper problem then pubs being open, that one should seek actual help with.
    Some peoples weekend is a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Why shouldn't they be able have a late drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Some peoples weekend is a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Why shouldn't they be able have a late drink?

I have Sundays and Mondays off, it's a pain in the hole.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Where else in the world does that happen though?
    New Orleans? Vegas?

To the best of my knowledge there is nowhere in Europe with 24/7 drinking as standard.

Czech Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

To answer the OP, I do think they are too restricted!

While drunk and disorderly conduct is a very big problem in Ireland and across the pond, I don't think the pubs in Ireland nor the off-licenses should have to be punished for it.

In this country, our politicians punish the many because of the irresponsible minority who just can't handle their liqueur.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

hynesie08 wrote: »
    In Dublin, bars are open From 7am to 3am officially, and lots of places serve till 4/4.30 anyway.

What's the problem??

Dublin has a tiny number of early houses, and the vast majority of pubs are not open until 4:30 am, nor 3am either. Some of them open late at the weekend yes. I think the point is that we should take a more European approach and allow pubs/clubs to open earlier and stay open later if they wish. And guess what? Most wouldn't anyway as they wouldn't want to, wouldn't want the hassle, paying staff for longer hours etc. But give them the option and let the market sort itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

In Athens,Greece you can buy alcohol until 5am and onwards . You can buy 35%\40% τσίπουρο/ούζο from tiny huts on street for maybe 3€ . It not a drink problem there.But in Éire?.... Nanny state

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

drillyeye wrote: »

I still reckon its just moaners moving onto the next thing to moan about though, people are never happy! It'll get deregulated, then next thing people will be moaning about regulating it again. These are the ignorant masses, with nothing to fill their empty lives, just never-ending procrastination on merry-go-round points. Do something more constructive with your life. Like me :)

You can keep repeating this nonsense and it will remain exactly that, nonsense. It really is one of the most stupid arguments I've ever encountered.

You can just insert that moronic paragraph in to any thread you don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bring back the Holy Hour on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

24/7 drinking is allowed in the U.K. and while in practice not many/any pubs do it you will have pubs opened very late and again in the morning so if you move around you can get close to 24 hour drinking. Also you can buy drink in 24h shops at anytime..

24/7 drinking in the UK is not an absolute given. Pubs hours depends on what is specified in it's own licence. These in turn are set and granted by the local council, who issue pub licences in the UK. There are a few all night bars but they are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

The Pubs opening and closing times is not the problem. Whats going on in the pubs is the problem. There is a huge opportunity for pubs to provide a modern escapism outlet where people can go to listen to good music infused with some good visuals to go with the music. You don't have to book a band, all you have to do is stick on a nice selection of music from spotify or whatever the f**k and create some visuals to go with the selection and project that $hit on a wall or a sheet or whatever the f**k. This is easily done. And it is that simple. This is how youtube makes its money for f**ks sake. Projectors now are cheaper than HI DEF Tv's. Visual software for computers the same. This creates a different environment for escapism. It will get punters out of the house and into whatever venue can provide such a service. Absolute magic can be created in such a environment. Young people would love it. Young people are still here lads. This is what they know. The problem is, the vast majority of pubs are still being run by auld codgers hoping the ROI soccer team makes the World/Euro cup and base the open house windfall on that scenario happening, or Nathan Carter music played down the back and everybody grimmed the f**k out of it putting up with it and not really enjoying it. Pubs have got to up their game and there is no excuse not to up the f**king game. I went down my local tonight and it was like walking into a sheebeen from 1981, only difference was the sheebeen back in 1981 could get away with it. Not anymore. Up your f**king game publicans. You want to be entertainers and make cash from that? Then find out where the good entertainment is nowadays and sell it to the customers. It's there, it's just the publicans could not be bothered finding out where it is or pushing anything new or are too scared to do so. That is why they are DYING. People still want to go out, people need to go out, but if the place they are going to go out on a night out is literally a grim showcase from 1979, it's not going to happen. This is why I've come home and stuck on some tunes and visuals because back down there in town.....I'd rather f**k meself in the river.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bring back the Holy Hour on a Sunday.

That was the best time for a few pints on a Sunday,only in Ireland can a holy hour be 2 hours long.

Advertisement