Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aidan O Sheas Comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Dublin play most of no all their games away in Croke Park. It is the home of GAA and not Dublin's exclusively. Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground. It's like saying when two top fllite clubs from any major European city play their City rivals in their rivals ground "sure the might as well be at home". Just Saying.

Why do people still throw up this excuse?

Has anyone ever been convinced by such a semantical argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Have to say, I'm surprised its the first time a major GAA person has said this, and Fair Fox to him.

On one level the system is great, local community, playing for the local area etc.....

But on the other.....its completely daft. Colm O'Rourke said in his preview piece on Sunday "3 of the 4 teams playing today will almost certainly make the quarter finals".

And that is the case.

Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal. We know there is a high likelihood that those 6 will make the quarterfinals.

We know the last two places will probably be whichever 'weaker county' is strong at the time......so Monaghan, Armagh, Kildare, Galway, Down will make up the other two places.

We know it is highly probable that three of Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Mayo will make the semi.

Any wonder that Leitrim or Roscommon or Carlow players fek off to the states for the summer?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Have to say, I'm surprised its the first time a major GAA person has said this, and Fair Fox to him.

On one level the system is great, local community, playing for the local area etc.....

But on the other.....its completely daft. Colm O'Rourke said in his preview piece on Sunday "3 of the 4 teams playing today will almost certainly make the quarter finals".

And that is the case.

Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal. We know there is a high likelihood that those 6 will make the quarterfinals.

We know the last two places will probably be whichever 'weaker county' is strong at the time......so Monaghan, Armagh, Kildare, Galway, Down will make up the other two places.

We know it is highly probable that three of Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Mayo will make the semi.

Any wonder that Leitrim or Roscommon or Carlow players fek off to the states for the summer?

You clearly know 'fek' all.

No Roscommon player has left the panel in recent memory 'for the summer' apart from 2012, and that had everything to do with the manager and nothing to do with the county system. Leitrim players have had to emigrate in their droves, not take holidays for the summer to America. A lot of players in all counties take holidays after their county's season is over, which defeats the point you were trying to make.

If you're going to make comments don't bluff your way because you'll be quickly exposed and made look very foolish.

Oh, and Aidan is far from the first 'major GAA person' to moot professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Syferus wrote: »

No Roscommon player has left the panel in recent memory 'for the summer' apart from 2012, and that had everything to do with the manager and nothing to do with the county system. Leitrim players have had to emigrate in their droves, not take holidays for the summer to America.

If you're going to make comments don't bluff your way because you'll be quickly exposed and made look very foolish.

Ok, shouldnt have singled out individual counties.

But its definitely the case the players from smaller counties 'have been known' to head over to the states as soon as they are knocked out of the championship.

Or am I wrong about that too........

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Ok, shouldnt have singled out individual counties.

But its definitely the case the players from smaller counties 'have been known' to head over to the states as soon as they are knocked out of the championship.

Or am I wrong about that too........

Yes, you are.

Armagh's Ciaran McKeever was one of the very few high profile examples last summer. Gareth Bradshaw too. Y'know, of that small GAA county called Galway. I could give examples of Mayo players not committing even this year if I wanted to.

The few players that do take a summer or year off (with the demands of IC football it's hardly surprising, the surprising fact is so few do) are in no way limited to 'smaller counties'. That has next to nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

buyer95 wrote: »
    It's nothing of the sort. Bernard Brogan has never played a championship game outside Croker. Just saying.

As influential as Bernard Brogan is I don't think he has any say where the Dubs play their games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The powers that be know well that Brogan would choke under the pressures of playing in Páirc Tailteann on a dry Sunday afternoon. Sure he probably hasn't played a League match more than a 5 minute drive from his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Wow, this thread is truly shocking. I mean, I knew a thread about the possibility of professionalism in GAA would quickly descend into farce but what is so shocking here is the farcical comments (matches in CP, Bernard Brogan, players going to USA) relate to issues which have absolutely nothing to do with the thread or the OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Wow, this thread is truly shocking. I mean, I knew a thread about the possibility of professionalism in GAA would quickly descend into farce but what is so shocking here is the farcical comments (matches in CP, Bernard Brogan, players going to USA) relate to issues which have absolutely nothing to do with the thread or the OP!

This little beauty was my favourite, a consummate example of modern prose.
    Wasn't so long ago that Dublin were being beat in some of the best games of football ever witnessed in croke park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( country folk talk) and being embarrassed in others.............................now that the Dubs have a bit of run on things the muldoons are up in arms ...............................double standards as always from the folks living studying and earning their crust in the capital................................. and imagine the excellent brigadier general dermot early once got lost coming out of the dressing rooms of croke park such was his familiarity of the grounds hence the reasoning why dublin were beating them on those big days (a game of inches).......................................yes dermot I want you to lead the charge on foreign grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

So is the 'Aidan O'Shea' haircut still in fashion around Mayo then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

So is the 'Aidan O'Shea' haircut still in fashion around Mayo then?

I think 'The Willie Joe' is coming back in vogue again after a few decades out of the mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I think 'The Willie Joe' is coming back in vogue again after a few decades out of the mainstream.

The 'Mullet From Belmullet'!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

yop wrote: »
    He must have got his 1st class honors degree from the internet so. :rolleyes:

From an IT? He managed to keep the colouring between the lines?

Joking :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

gaelic life today / tomorrow, joe brolly has piece on mullet aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

gaelic life today / tomorrow, joe brolly has piece on mullet aidan
    Uh oh-professionalism and Mayo footballers-2 of Joes favourite topics. Could be ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Syferus wrote: »

No Roscommon player has left the panel in recent memory 'for the summer' apart from 2012, and that had everything to do with the manager and nothing to do with the county system. Leitrim players have had to emigrate in their droves, not take holidays for the summer to America. A lot of players in all counties take holidays after their county's season is over, which defeats the point you were trying to make.

Oh, and Aidan is far from the first 'major GAA person' to moot professionalism.
    Syffers you comic genius.No roscommon player in recent memory, apart from the year before last!! You ve brought a little joy to my evening:)
    BTW at least one Down player jumped shift after league last year.

harpsman wrote: »
    Syffers you comic genius.No roscommon player in recent memory, apart from the year before last!! You ve brought a little joy to my evening:)
    BTW at least one Down player jumped shift after league last year.

Criticism from someone who had the gall to call a player thick for absolutely no reason. Yeah.

I see the Virgin Mary Johnny Doyle is at it now .................................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The more Brolly rants and make a fool of himself the more I look forward to seeing Rachel Wyse this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Brolly laughing about a dangerous hit on a player whilst nearly crying when Sean Cavanagh pulled a lad down last year !
    Of course it was a Derry player so.........
    O Shea was spot on. Same tired ****e out of them week in week out.
    The only one who offers anything in the way of tactical analysis is Mcstay.
    Can't wait to watch on sky.
    I'll leave the lads who are stuck in the past on rte .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

km79 wrote: »
    Brolly laughing about a dangerous hit on a player whilst nearly crying when Sean Cavanagh pulled a lad down last year !
    Of course it was a Derry player so.........
    O Shea was spot on. Same tired ****e out of them week in week out.
    The only one who offers anything in the way of tactical analysis is Mcstay.
    Can't wait to watch on sky.
    I'll leave the lads who are stuck in the past on rte .......
    There was an excellent piece of analysis with video done by McStay on Kerrys passing against Cork last year (tis on youtube).
    Little point that people would not be so aware of about the ball out ahead bouncing in space was more advantageous than ball hit direct at the forward where the defender can get pressure on easily as the forward collects.
    That is proper analysis, relevant and impactful to the game in question, educational in some ways and examples shown.
    The other thing it did was highlight the skill of accurate passing. Too much of the praise is focussed purely on spectacular scores. There's a handful of people in the country capable of that with any consistency ... crazy when you say it like that, but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

There are too many ex mayo players on TV and radio, - Brady, mcstay, carney, Mchale and Maughan and not an all Ireland senior inter county medal between them! At least brolly has an all Ireland medal

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Dublin play most of no all their games away in Croke Park. It is the home of GAA and not Dublin's exclusively. Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground. It's like saying when two top fllite clubs from any major European city play their City rivals in their rivals ground "sure the might as well be at home". Just Saying.

Why have Dublin fans exclusive possession of Hill 16 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Shady Tady wrote: »
    There are too many ex mayo players on TV and radio, - Brady, mcstay, carney, Mchale and Maughan and not an all Ireland senior inter county medal between them! At least brolly has an all Ireland medal

Mcstay and McHale have a club all ireland management medal.
    There are too many ex players full stop! Managers bring a different kind of insight. And I'm not talking about secondary school managers like O Rourke!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Shady Tady wrote: »
    So since Jose Mourhino wasn't a successful footballer then he lacks the ability of been a manager.....

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    They don't was 100's of Mayo fans there last year in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

They don't but choose to believe they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

yop wrote: »
    So since Jose Mourhino wasn't a successful footballer then he lacks the ability of been a manager.....

They don't was 100's of Mayo fans there last year in the final.
    Would love to see some of the coaches on a panel. The guys who setup training plans, game tactics and work with individual players.
    Needs a stato guy as well. Someone who is more anorak than player. The Hunger Game should retitle Sunday Game. Must be exasperating to be questioned on your hunger and intensity levels as an inter county player

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Would love to see some of the coaches on a panel. The guys who setup training plans, game tactics and work with individual players.
    Needs a stato guy as well. Someone who is more anorak than player. The Hunger Game should retitle Sunday Game. Must be exasperating to be questioned on your hunger and intensity levels as an inter county player

Sounds like a good idea that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

We don't. Hill 16 tickets are available for anyone to buy. When it comes to big games like the AI final or semi final, our opponents county board is allocated the very same number of Hill tickets, as the DCB is.

• Advertisement

In your persecuted mind they do...................................Mayo had more fans on the Hill and Nally Terrace in last years final......................anybody is entitled to buy a ticket and rightly so...................its the muldoon siege mentality yet again

Like a previous poster enlightened us to, too many ex mayo lads spouting nonsense on the airwaves and now their own players are at it........................when tommy lyons (another mayo man) managed dublin he had the lads giving interviews left right and centre, dublin were called cocky etc, however under lyons it was part of being a player play the darling to the media......................... thank god for men like gilroy and gavin who put an end to this ****e and now we have lads who just play ball and get on with it, none of this whinging about curses and omens and getting to wash your ball bag in your favourite dressing room in croker after every game

Advertisement