Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPLC Analysis

Options
  • 10-04-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I recently did an analysis of carbofuran which gave a lambda max of 274 in the UV instrument, but when analysed by HPLC with the detector set at 274 it wouldn't detect the compound... the literature listed 205 nm as the best suitable detector wavelength, and when I used this the results were perfect....

Anyone have any idea why the UV reading for the lambda max would be 274 nm but the best detection wavelength in HPLC was at 205 nm??

There was no other compound in the solution other than acetonitrile which was absorbing at 195 nm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

spoona wrote: »
    I recently did an analysis of carbofuran which gave a lambda max of 274 in the UV instrument, but when analysed by HPLC with the detector set at 274 it wouldn't detect the compound... the literature listed 205 nm as the best suitable detector wavelength, and when I used this the results were perfect....

Anyone have any idea why the UV reading for the lambda max would be 274 nm but the best detection wavelength in HPLC was at 205 nm??

There was no other compound in the solution other than acetonitrile which was absorbing at 195 nm.

When was the last time the instrument was calibrated and serviced? I remember the spectrophotometer I used before used to mess up if the sample holder had even the tiniest smudge. Have you got any reference standards? Try running these and see what you get. Might be worth running your sample again and seeing if the same result comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spoona

I'm not positive on the most recent date of calibration, but I ran other samples of imidacloprid, clothianidin and thiamethoxam and they all gave accurate lambda max readings which were perfectly suitable for the HPLC detector and as was stated in the literature.

I can't completely rule out an issue with the spectrophotometer, but I don't think it was the issue.

Any other thoughts on why this might happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

If it's not a calibration issue, most likely scenario is sample contamination

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spoona

It has been suggested to me that while it's unusual that the lambda max wouldn't be suitable for the HPLC detection, that 205 nm is so low for detection that it should pick up anything at that wavelength that the results would still be reliable, especially since you would expect loads of noise at that wavelength but I was getting clear defined peaks.

??

Advertisement