Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wetsuit trouble

Options
  • 17-04-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi newbie posting here. i did my first sprint tri last year and really enjoyed it and the atmosphere as i was really nervous but everyone was full of encouragement. i did really well in the swim top 7 which is my strongest. was happy enough with the bike (mid table) and back of pack in the run ( but not last ) . i did my the tri in an old surfing wetsuit i had and found it ok.
    fast forward 10 months and i just bought an orca equippe 2013 wetsuit online size 11 (the largest) i am a big chap 6ft 4", 38" waist and 49 " chest.
    according to size guide this should fit fine but i can get it up on me but cant zip it up.
    i tried to do it myself first then i called the wife but she couldnt zip it either.
    i am now very disheartened as i want to try a long open water swim this year i.e glen da lough as well as 3 sprints. am i destined to swim in the surf suit . i have some weight to lose but not that much i just have a very large frame( think 2nd row forward).
    if this is the largest suit orca do am i wasting my time looking ar other brands.
    plus i cant afford anything over 200 at the moment.
    thanks for any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It will fit you. You need to take the stretch out of the suit by bringing it up your body properly and releasing it in the trunk. It is normal for there to be tension in the chest but neoprene is very forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bonoburger

thanks for quick reply. i had it pulled really tight but still couldnt zip it. and if i cant manage it on my own how wilii i go trainin in it on my own. feeling really pissed off now surely im not that much of a freak i cant get suit to fit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

AS AWK said, make sure you got it tight against your crotch so that there is more suit to go around you shoulders and chest. It will stretch a bit after a few swims.

Be careful with you nails pulling it on, you might gouge a few holes in it, put a little Black Witch wetsuit glue in the hole to repair it and it will still be good.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

bonoburger wrote: »
    thanks for quick reply. i had it pulled really tight but still couldnt zip it. and if i cant manage it on my own how wilii i go trainin in it on my own. feeling really pissed off now surely im not that much of a freak i cant get suit to fit me.
    Without seeing you, or it, its hard to tell if it really is that youre too big or youve just not put it on right. All swim wetsuits are very tight. The only way mine can be zipped up is if I roll my shoulders right back, and I usually need help zipping it, its stupidly hard on my own. You shouldnt be open water swimming on your own anyway. ;)

If the suit is easy to put on, it will fill with water when you swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Put the suit on, up to waist or chest high. Then get in the water, making sure water gets in the wetsuit, and get out. Suit will slide easily into place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bonoburger

Gave it one more try before I returned it and got it zipped up. Pulled it about 3 " above ankle and while tight its not too bad. Good movement in shoulders. Thanks for all advice. Amazing the difference a couple of inches make....boom boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

bonoburger wrote: »
    Gave it one more try before I returned it and got it zipped up. Pulled it about 3 " above ankle and while tight its not too bad. Good movement in shoulders. Thanks for all advice. Amazing the difference a couple of inches make....boom boom.

Most people do not fit their wetsuit properly and end up with it stretched too tight over and up their body.

The suit should be just the right side of giving you a wedgie and the material should not be stretched over the legs, bring the suit up to mid calf and world of difference.

Advertisement