Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend good flys to try for this time of year

Options
  • 08-04-2014 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

Anyone recommend good flys to try for this time of year, have been trying a black gnat and a few ant patterns but no luck so far

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

for rivers id use pheasant tail nymphs, hares ears, caddis larvae any weighted nymphs fished upstream in faster water. less weight for slower water.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Anyone recommend good flys to try for this time of year, have been trying a black gnat and a few ant patterns but no luck so far

River or lake?
    I wouldn't fish with ants in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

trout fishing on the river suir

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

Might be worth a few spiders. I always try snipe and purple or partridge and orange.

Other than that, good old PTN

coin wrote: »
    Might be worth a few spiders. I always try snipe and purple or partridge and orange.

Other than that, good old PTN

i actually tried orange and partridge and a few patterns of march brown but no luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

i actually tried orange and partridge and a few patterns of march brown but no luck

I've had good bit of success with these. Generally I'd fish a team of spiders and Might have to try different sizes depending on conditions . The waterhen bloa can be great too and very simple to tie.

Alternatively I've had to use a spider with a nymph (not weighted), either pheasant tail or hares ear.

Can depend on the river you're fishing. Some olives may start appearing over the next few weeks too!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

if you see a good hatch of flies the spiders can be deadly fished up stream. i'd never fish down and across the flies appear more natural when fished as drag free as possible. if you are fishing runs with quick enough flowing water getting to the bottom is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Don't get too hung up on patterns. Fish the warmer dull days and fish when natural flies are hatching, the fish will come. Watch the river water temp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1 on Flyfishers comment. Check http://waterlevel.ie for water temp. I find trout feed more freely when water temp gets above 9 degrees. Which has been from about 11am in my local rivers for the past week or ten days. As for flies, at present they seem to be taking any nymphs presented; be they weighted or not or fish deep or not. Here the water is in full flood and true fly patterns are getting nothing except for any bibio or black gnats. But, as said, rivers differ.

Thanks for all your advice tried every fly you mentioned so far the PTN seems to work the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

The greenwells spider is a great fly this time of year, very underrated. ..
    Landers in Tralee have a great pattern. ..

Advertisement