Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any ideas to get a bird into a garden birdbox?

• 27-03-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Got a bird box with a camera in it from Lidl two years ago (that hooks up to the TV). Unfortunately, no birds have gone into it. Before last spring, I emptied out some moss that was in it, but nothing moved into it last year.

So, this year, would like to know how to get birdies into the box, so my mum can watch them on the TV. Box is on a wall surrounded by icy and other general plants around it, with some sort of branch in front of the hole into the birdbox.

Any ideas of what to make the box attractive to birds to nest into it? Shall post up picture of where the birdbox is situated tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Got a bird box with a camera in it from Lidl two years ago (that hooks up to the TV). Unfortunately, no birds have gone into it. Before last spring, I emptied out some moss that was in it, but nothing moved into it last year.

So, this year, would like to know how to get birdies into the box, so my mum can watch them on the TV. Box is on a wall surrounded by icy and other general plants around it, with some sort of branch in front of the hole into the birdbox.

Any ideas of what to make the box attractive to birds to nest into it? Shall post up picture of where the birdbox is situated tomorrow.

Probably better suited to Nature and Birdwatching OP.
    How high is it off the ground? Should be 2metres or more. How accessible to predators? Sometimes birds will use a nest box the first year, other times it could take a few years.
    Theres usually a live feed from nest boxes in the Phoenix Park every year.
    The book i have here says place it away from your bird table if possible, angle the box slightly forward and face between North and South-East to avoid the weather.
    I presume its up since last season? You should see some activity now or very soon if they are going to start using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Probably better suited to Nature and Birdwatching OP.
    Ah. I was searching under "Birds". Explains why I couldn't find it :o Shall ask for it to be moved.
    How high is it off the ground? Should be 2metres or more.
    Not that high. Probably only a meter. Will look into getting it higher.
    The book i have here says place it away from your bird table if possible, angle the box slightly forward and face between North and South-East to avoid the weather.
    It's away from the bird feeder, but pointing South-South-East. The strange thing is that another bird box got birds into it, but on thinking about it, it was less hidden, and thus probably less accessible from the ground. Will look to rectifying that.

Would North-East-East be better than South-South-East? I could attach it to the shed wall, about 6 or 7 foot off the ground, as opposed to the garden wall, where the box would only be 3 or 4 foot off the ground.
    I presume its up since last season? You should see some activity now or very soon if they are going to start using it.
    Aye. Just left it bolted to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sultan of Swing

Here's a link to an RSPB article relating to the siting of a nestbox:
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/nestboxes/smallbirds/siting.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Is the entrance hole small? Is it too low?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As Joseph said, it needs to be higher. About 2 metres will do. It is facing the wrong direction as south/south east gets too much sun in summer. Better to have it north or north east facing. Generally the hole size provided with these boxes is suitable to a few species so it should be fine.
    I fear moving it, while the only option, will be a bit late now for this year but do so as soon as possible and you'd never know.
    Let us know if it proves successful.
    I have some boxes that took 3 years and more before they were used but once used they have been in constant use ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had a manky old nest box that wasn't used for years and then all of a sudden, 2 years in a row, 2 families of blue tits. So I thought, great!, I'll put up a new box in exactly the same place with a camera, and for the last 3 years ... nada, zilch!! I'm still waiting for my chance to broadcast my own nest webcam :(

The box is currently 70cm from the ground, facing SSW. The pot in front of it has only been put there recently.

300609.jpg

The hole is 3cm wide.

300610.jpg

Seems the first year, a bird had put the moss and stuff into it, but didn't end up moving in. I wonder was cleaning it out was a mistake? Last year, it stayed empty, but this year I hope I can get something to move in.

A few things. Firstly cleaning out a box is exactly what you should do each year. Some birds will start many nests before deciding some are not right for them. Others may use them as a winter roost.
    For that type of box I think it is too well hidden. Avoid a site with too many branches and structures that cats etc can climb or access. Put that particular box on a wall or tree trunk. As I said, for a covered bix it is too well hidden. A open robin box may do in that area, if higher up but not that box.

A few things. Firstly cleaning out a box is exactly what you should do each year. Some birds will start many nests before deciding some are not right for them. Others may use them as a winter roost.
    Grand. Nothing is in the box atm (I check the camera feed every so often).
    For that type of box I think it is too well hidden.
    It's not usually that well hidden, but the ivy is starting to get heavy this year.
    Avoid a site with too many branches and structures that cats etc can climb or access. Put that particular box on a wall or tree trunk. As I said, for a covered bix it is too well hidden. A open robin box may do in that area, if higher up but not that box.
    The shed that I was going to attach it to usually has a cat crossing over the top of it :( I was going to put it maybe a foot from the top, so was wondering if that'd be enough?

If there's nowhere else then use the shed but I wouldn't. That said I have an acre of garden and mature trees to choose from. Go with the best mix available to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

We have a bird box on our garden wall for almost four years now and nothing had ever used it or shown any interest in it. However, over the last week a robin has been building a nest in it so hopefully it will use it.

If there's nowhere else then use the shed but I wouldn't. That said I have an acre of garden and mature trees to choose from. Go with the best mix available to you.
    This would be a rough example of the layout of my garden, with the shed facing north north east

300684.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

KJ wrote: »
    We have a bird box on our garden wall for almost four years now and nothing had ever used it or shown any interest in it. However, over the last week a robin has been building a nest in it so hopefully it will use it.

Male Robins will build several nests and then the female will choose one of them to lay in. So don't get to excited yet. We had a Robin build an almost complete nest in our camera box a few years back, then go and lay elsewhere. The following year they raised 2 broods in the camera box. This year, nothing so far.

Male Robins will build several nests and then the female will choose one of them to lay in. So don't get to excited yet. We had a Robin build an almost complete nest in our camera box a few years back, then go and lay elsewhere. The following year they raised 2 broods in the camera box. This year, nothing so far.
    Way to kill my buzz. Yeah I'm hoping they will choose this one. Its the first time anything has shown interest in the box.
    Here is the robin in question.

DSCN3076_zps7516f2e6.jpg
    DSCN3077_zps6924d5f1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I have a Lidl camera box too, it has only ever had a bird roosting overnight, never had a nest in it, they are quite small, barely 4 inches square on the outside, so the chances of any bird nesting in it is slim, I am going to put the camera into a larger box that I have which is usually used every year.

Great pics KJ,
    I would have thought the opening at the bottom would have turned them off that house

I have a Lidl camera box too, it has only ever had a bird roosting overnight, never had a nest in it, they are quite small, barely 4 inches square on the outside, so the chances of any bird nesting in it is slim, I am going to put the camera into a larger box that I have which is usually used every year.
    Solidly built, but I do agree it's a bit small.

the_syco wrote: »
    Solidly built, but I do agree it's a bit small.

Still, big enough. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Some unstructured thoughts...

A coal tit would nest that low but they prefer coniforous woodland. Blue tit is your best bet. Out of sun/prevailing wind is important. Usually that means north-ish facing but depends on site shade etc.1.5m or higher. Out of reach of cats as others have said. Affixed securely. Near good food source: ideally mature native trees and hedges. Clear flight path in.

I am curious: Has anyone had any success with an aldi/lidl camera nestbox? I've tried it without success. And I know others that have tried it with no success. Maybe we were just unlucky. Personally i suspect the white window panels that mine have are an issue...what sort of a tree or cliff cavity has white plastic panels on two sides? :) and the camera has infra red so they are unnecessary.

Still worth it though for the camera/cabling. I transferred them to a box that is regularly used and happy with the results.

I have worked on some nestbox schemes with local birdwatch and tidytowns group etc and we have maybe ~50% occupancy... so following all the advice you can still be tenantless.

You can always move the box every couple of years till you find a spot that works.

The good news is that if anyones nest box is considered by birds but unoccupied then it means the birds have found a site that is even better for some reason: they have an even better chance of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

As I said before my Lidl camera box has had no luck, bar overnight stays by a Blue Tit and a Bumble bee having a private clean up, but I did get one of the open fronted boxes from Aldi a couple of weeks ago, I sighted it straight away and within two days a nest had been constructed, but no further activity since, not sure if the nest is still under construction or has been Nama'd!
    I don't want to go near it yet as it may still be used.

• Advertisement

Just as a general rule. Please do not go near nest boxes to see if they are being used. If they are you will know soon enough when the adults flit and out feeding young. Too many nests are abandoned and young die as a result of our curiosity.

Just as a general rule. Please do not go near nest boxes to see if they are being used. If they are you will know soon enough when the adults flit and out feeding young. Too many nests are abandoned and young die as a result of our curiosity.
    Main reason for the camera; I can just flick on the SCART input on the TV, and check if anyone has moved in :)

I'll move the put out of the way, and click some of the overhanging ivy so that they can see it better. But I'm now worried that 70cm from the ground is not high enough :(

Box is securely positioned against the wall.

An update regarding our Robins. It appears that they have indeed begun to use our bird house. Over the last two days, the male and female have been feeding and then the female returns to inside the box each time and stays in there. Also, the male has been bringing food to feed her. Fingers crossed there will be some baby Robins on the horizon.

Here are two photos of the female from yesterday.
    DSCN3132_zps15cc8191.jpg

She lands here each time to check the coast is clear before flying back into the nest.
    DSCN3135_zps28019620.jpg

Well, fingers crossed, I've got some activity on my nestcam after 3 years of it being up! Lets hope she carries on and finishes her nest and starts laying :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gs16d7l1y4f0es9/Nestcam20140416-195539-1397674539-1.mp4

Well, she's been in and out every 5 minutes or so, since 7.30 this morning :) I haven't seen her carrying any more nesting material in her beak .. all she seems to be doing is pushing all the existing stuff up towards the front of the box leaving a bare patch at the back. Quite odd to watch .. she crouches down and spreads her wings out and almost dives under the nesting material.

EDIT: Ignore that, she's just come in with a big mouthful of dried moss :)

That's the normal method of nest building for a blue tit.

On a side note, is mooney doing any live feeds this year?

That's the normal method of nest building for a blue tit.
    OK, thanks! I assume she'll eventually fill the remaining hole with nesting material too?

It's interesting to watch the male .. he comes in dumps a bit of moss and then vanishes. The female then comes in and tidies it up .. isn't that always the way? :) I've only seen them both in together once.

Anyway, she seems to be done for the day now, last activity was at 2.15, hopefully she'll be back tomorrow morning.

The nest is finished and ready for laying when it is lined with soft feathers, fur or wool. Blue Tits can build a nest in a few days, but usually it takes between one and two weeks.

• Advertisement

They're very punctual so far as to when they finish 2.15pm both days so far!

EDIT: and the same time almost to the minute today too ... very strange.

"Our" eggs have hatched and its now feeding time in the nest box. There is a slight chirping sounds when food is brought in. They can only be 2 or 3 days old at most.

The female feeding
    DSCN3178_zps007bf875.jpg

The male feeding
    DSCN3186_zps7fb615bc.jpg

DSCN3188_zps9cec7320.jpg

Please keep away from nests when taking photos. There is actually legislation in place to prevent disturbance at nests. Use a telephoto lens if need be but please keep your distance at this critical time.

I took these from the door of the house with the camera zoomed in all the way.

I think egg laying must be imminent for our blue tits. The nest is pretty much complete, she's only bringing in feathers now to put in the nest bowl itself, and has also started staying in the box over night the last 3 nights. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

I have peanuts (in proper baby bird safe wire feeders) and seed feeders up -will these be given to baby birds, or will they just be used by the adults while the babies get worms, grubs etc?

• Advertisement

Young birds will be fed caterpillars and insects while the adults will eat the seeds and nuts,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Young birds will be fed caterpillars and insects while the adults will eat the seeds and nuts,

Ah that's what I thought, thanks. I have sparrow and blue tits coming to my feeders this spring, hopefully they have a nest somewhere!

I also saw a goldfinch on the wires beside the feeders yesterday (they are on the upstairs window of a two story urban terraced house) but have never seen it eat from it, are they the ones that prefer nyjer seed?

Six eggs so far, one a day ...

124bj4p.jpg

Advertisement