Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting List dilemma

Options
  • 30-03-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hey

Have been put on a waiting list for a masters course in TCD. Does anyone know from experience the standard procedure from here, such as when a place may become available and what the chances are. I know they are low, but the fees are very high and I do wonder if some people may decide that, once the prospect is facing them, it's too pricey. Well, somewhat empty reasoning but it's all I have for the moment. That and also the course is offered in several universities at a lower price, which I am praying means some lucky students have a pick and eventually decide against TCD.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is would a place likely come available in a few weeks (i.e., do you only have a few weeks to accept or decline the offer, typically) or would it more likely happen in the summer or August, close to when the course starts?

Anyway, I know the details are ambiguous but I have only been able to find American sites for waiting lists and the standard procedure and it's unlikely the same system applies here.

Any help, or examples of previous experience, would be great
    Jak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

What course is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Gae wrote: »
    What course is it?

The H.Dip.Psychology.They offer 20 places, a decent number of people so a fair chance a place will/may arise but I have no idea where I am positioned on the list. Really what I'm curious about is when one can expect to get offers, should an offer ever come?

I know some courses give you a week or two to decide, to the best of my knowledge, making you pay a nominal fee to secure a place by a deadline. This is what i'm wondering.

I am aware I can probably ask the department all this but I am sore enough at the minute, having just found out today, and am keen for some student advice or experience(s) than academic speak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I did that course a few years back - the conversion dip in psych. It's not a Masters, unless I've read your first post incorrectly. Two or three people in my class got places in August and I think one guy was offered a place fairly last minute. I'm guessing that's because others decided not to go ahead, I didn't really pry.

Black Oil wrote: »
    I did that course a few years back - the conversion dip in psych. It's not a Masters, unless I've read your first post incorrectly. Two or three people in my class got places in August and I think one guy was offered a place fairly last minute. I'm guessing that's because others decided not to go ahead, I didn't really pry.

You're right I saw it classified as taught 'degrees' on UCD's website ages ago and always remembered seeing 'masters' even though I know it's not actually one.

It is encouraging that some people got places in the end, did you enjoy the course and have you gone into further study with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I liked the course, it was pretty intense. I haven't taken psychology any further, studying another area now, volunteering in mental health. Some classmates have gone on to further training, counselling, education, so the conversion course doesn't seem to hold anyone back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I started a masters in TCD this academic year, was on the waiting list and got offered a place a few days after they started (missed orientation!). Same happened with another classmate. It was a bit hectic, had to cancel some travel plans, and ended up with late fees on top of already high fees. But it was worth it, as I really wanted to do it.

I liked the course, it was pretty intense. I haven't taken psychology any further, studying another area now, volunteering in mental health. Some classmates have gone on to further training, counselling, education, so the conversion course doesn't seem to hold anyone back.

That's a fairly typical story as far as I can tell, 25% of people go into psychological qualifications afterwards according to statistics so I guess that's the number breakdown. About being stuck in limbo, I amen't crestfallen but disappointed at the decision. I know the course is very popular. Like many people I hate being in limbo. I am awaiting news from UCC and UCD but Trinity is my first choice for many reasons (though not financially) and I guess the next few weeks will tell a lot.

Do you think it's wise to enquire to the school about where I fall on the waiting list? The only place I can get advice online about waiting lists are from US institutions which sound very aggresive to me. e.g., 'write a letter every few weeks to the faculty outlining again why you want the course and should be considered if a place comes up' said one and I am certain that can't be good advice.The last thing I want to do is to come across as pestering, but it would make me feel better to know one way or the other.

nothing wrote: »
    I started a masters in TCD this academic year, was on the waiting list and got offered a place a few days after they started (missed orientation!). Same happened with another classmate. It was a bit hectic, had to cancel some travel plans, and ended up with late fees on top of already high fees. But it was worth it, as I really wanted to do it.

Hey. That's great for you. Wow I am both encouraged and disappointed by the type of news I am getting. Me getting offered a place really made sense for me in April as I have a job lined up for the summer abroad to pay the fees. But I can't justify going if I don't have a course and the interviews for UCD and UCC typically happen after the date the job starts. So I could either take a place in UCD/UCC and miss the job. Or take the job and miss UCD/UCC on the whim that something arises in TCD. I'd surely end up with an growth of some kind from all the stress!

Well, it's obviously not all bad. Sometimes people on waiting lists get places. There is evidence here that it happens. So I do feel better for that news and thank you. It's been a funny old day.

(BTW when I reread my opening line I thought 'christ that could be read as sacrasm.' rest assured it wasn't, just disjointed thinking).

(Double edit: you had to pay late fees, even though they offered you a place after the course had started? That has me confused. It just seems like a slap in the face)

Do you think it's wise to enquire to the school about where I fall on the waiting list? The only place I can get advice online about waiting lists are from US institutions which sound very aggresive to me. e.g., 'write a letter every few weeks to the faculty outlining again why you want the course and should be considered if a place comes up' said one and I am certain that can't be good advice.The last thing I want to do is to come across as pestering, but it would make me feel better to know one way or the other.

Hard to say. You mightn't get much of a response as we're still early on in the year, but I think Jean Quigley is fairly approachable, in fairness. Just thinking back now as I was actually a waiting list person myself, although I can't really remember as it's almost 6 years ago now. Think I got a call in July. My sense from doing the course is that they're after people who are committed, hard working and willing to stick it out (forgive the ego boost here!). I'd be hesitant to write every few weeks, sounds to me as if there's a different culture in the US. A polite query can't hurt, but the closing date was only a few weeks ago (if the website is correct). Saying that, some people in the class were very competitive and I've a feeling that this later helped them to get onto a Masters. One did visit the UK to make himself known beyond the mere paper application and unsurprisingly he got a place, so there probably is a way of being visible without being too pushy.

Most of the people I graduated with have Masters at this stage, one or two are qualified, others I think are in research roles and have a publication or two under their belts. I haven't seen most of them since graduation so I don't really know what they're up to other than what the internet says!

Yes, the fees are high. The response we got on that was 'well, this is Trinity'.

Hard to say. You mightn't get much of a response as we're still early on in the year, but I think Jean Quigley is fairly approachable, in fairness. Just thinking back now as I was actually a waiting list person myself, although I can't really remember as it's almost 6 years ago now. Think I got a call in July. My sense from doing the course is that they're after people who are committed, hard working and willing to stick it out (forgive the ego boost here!). I'd be hesitant to write every few weeks, sounds to me as if there's a different culture in the US. A polite query can't hurt, but the closing date was only a few weeks ago (if the website is correct). Saying that, some people in the class were very competitive and I've a feeling that this later helped them to get onto a Masters. One did visit the UK to make himself known beyond the mere paper application and unsurprisingly he got a place, so there probably is a way of being visible without being too pushy.

Most of the people I graduated with have Masters at this stage, one or two are qualified, others I think are in research roles and have a publication or two under their belts. I haven't seen most of them since graduation so I don't really know what they're up to other than what the internet says!

Yes, the fees are high. The response we got on that was 'well, this is Trinity'.
    hey, I already feel a bit better today. I guess all I can do is see if somewhere else offers me a place in the meantime and weight up things from there. If I was 1 or 2 on the list I imagine there is a shot at getting a place, but if i'm say fifth or lower then you can probably say with certainty that it's done for. It does seem like many people get offers despite an initial 'no' or, to use my own example from yesterday 'currently unable to offer you a place' which doesn't sound all that bad compared to a flat out rejection, although in practice it's much the same.

Well, I guess everyone goes into the class feeling that psychology is what they will pursue to further study but even in my application I attempted to focus on the skills I expected to learn which seemed more salient and in truth a psychological education is well regarded by most who know what they are talking about. I did mention that I was planning on eventually going into further study in psychology but I can imagine how that looks every year and seeing how the numbers break down.

Am not a TCDd student so perhaps that counted against me, not a criticism specific to TCD but a generalisation as the old word seems to always suggest universities favour their own. Oh well, this kind on nonsense will be running through me for a while yet till the dust settles. Maybe i'll wait a week or two and send Jean a polite enquiry about the waiting list. I have been in touch with her a few times about the course and I think she is approachable but again these situations make normal decisions seem overly complex.

• Advertisement

Not having been a past TCD student shouldn't count against you. I wasn't, same with quite a few others in the class. Maybe try Jean after Easter. It might be around now that they're starting to correct final year projects, I can't really recall, but they might a little slow with reading applications if they're very busy and we're not far off from exam season.

Not having been a past TCD student shouldn't count against you. I wasn't, same with quite a few others in the class. Maybe try Jean after Easter. It might be around now that they're starting to correct final year projects, I can't really recall, but they might a little slow with reading applications if they're very busy and we're not far off from exam season.

Yea, of course you're right, it's hardly the smartest tactic for a university to adopt, and these thoughts are part of the grieving process. I will probably be back to myself in a week, using a healthy blast of cognitive dissonance to justify why I never wanted to go there anyway. I can guarantee you the words 'The fees were way too high' will be used in some variation a number of times, probably with a few platitudes such as 'things have a way of working themselves out', either by me or my sympathetic friends. And it'll all go out the window again if I do end up getting an offer down the line.

Well thanks for your help. I got as much as I could have expected when I originally posted the message. If I could just pry a tiny bit, when you got the offer, was it completely out of the blue or had you inquired to the school in much the way I am considering, getting a feel for the possible outcome, or did you just wait it out and get surprised one day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I got hit with late fees because it took me ages to sort out a loan, my own fault!

my own offer came out of the blue, I had convinced myself that the course wasn't for me by August, got the offer on something like the 30th September!

it would definitely be worthwhile to try to find out where you are on the waiting list.

nothing wrote: »
    I got hit with late fees because it took me ages to sort out a loan, my own fault!

my own offer came out of the blue, I had convinced myself that the course wasn't for me by August, got the offer on something like the 30th September!

it would definitely be worthwhile to try to find out where you are on the waiting list.

Fair enough. Was a bit confused, but knew there was a logical explanation. It's still good to know that offers do arise out of the blue as you say and that is heartening. Not my ideal situation but maybe it will all work out.

Anyway I do think i'll inquire politely to the department but will leave it for say a week or two, perhaps until after Easter as Black Oil suggested. With luck I am high up the list giving me a good outside chance. But I am now going to concentrate on UCD and UCC, though Cork would involve me uprooting my whole life, UCD would just be a longer cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rewind

Old thread but curious, how did things turn out for you jackthelad321?

Rewind wrote: »
    Old thread but curious, how did things turn out for you jackthelad321?

This is a blast from the past! haha. I was applying for TCD as an undergraduate, but I had a degree already from NUIG. I also applied to do the Higher Diploma in Psychology the same year for someone who has a degree already.

In the end I got offered none. I found out that (If you read my posts) I was first on the waiting list back in .... 2011 it must have been... and I would have been offered a place had anyone failed to take their place. BUt that year there was 100 people going for three places so my ego was satisfied i got 4th (looking back I have no idea how I managed to wing it, I was so naive).

In the end it was the greatest blessing in disguise. Not getting the course meant I spent the summer focusing on my application and the next year I applied to UCD and TCD for the two year higher diploma. I was so confident I would get something I actually turned down a 4 year degree in psychology in UL that summer (I'm from limerick so it would have been a useful option for me) and waited until the next year.

I got offered both TCD and UCD in 2012, for the two year higher diploma. Better again, I was eligible for the back to education allowance for the two years as well as having my fees paid. Had I been offered the initial TCD course I would have (1) not been eligible for the back to education and I'm not sure about getting my fees covered as it would have been a second degree so I'm almost sure I would have been hit with fees for three of the four years at least. That's a big difference in the price of education. I was so gung ho for TCD at the time (I thought it was Harvard or something!) I would have done unspeakable things to get in haha

So... it really made me think about that old adage 'be careful what you wish for'. I took UCD in the end as I liked their department more, it was cheaper, and they seemed more focused on psychology rather than TCD who have a big neuroscience element. TCD just began to appear less and less appealing after a while. The psychology department in UCD is fantastic, just the soundest you could ever get.

Finishing my higher diploma in a few weeks and have research experience lined up over the summer. Love UCD so much, really things could not have worked out better! I guess it depends on the department you get as well.

Thanks for the enquiry, I assume you are on a waiting list of some kind? Hopefully you'll get what you want and remember not getting something isn't always unfortunate and waiting a year can have its advantages.

EDIT: just realised this thread was for the second year I applied and TCD put me on a waiting list again! Forgot that... I got the offer about a week or so after my last post here. UCD offered me a place outright and once I had that offer It seemed like everything (I don't believe in signs but you know...) was telling me to go there instead of trinity.

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm delighted things worked out well for you. You're correct, I'm on the waiting list for TCD but. Honestly not expecting to get it. I am however on the reserve list for UCD and they sent me this letter on Monday:

"We are writing to advice you that we have completed our first round of offers and there has been a very high take up of places

However, we have placed your name on the reserve list and it is our experience that places will become available so you have a good chance of receiving an offer of a place on the programme.

If you have any queries at this point please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,"

I'm cautiously optimistic.

It's funny to hear you feelings on TCD. I've heard it before off a good friend. She was offered both and when she asked TCD why she should go with them they said "Because we are Trinity and because of our name"! I got a similar buzz of them in my few interactions with them. UCD on the other hand are much nicer, I actually dropped out of the HDip in sociology especially to apply for psychology. I hope it wasn't a mistake!

I know UCD is very good for clinical and TCD for neuroscience, so If you got offered both places maybe consider which areas interest you best.

That letter from UCD sounds hopefully optomistic. I think they would not write that unless there was a clear trend evident over the years. If it's for the higher diploma then 20 people are offered places, but some will almost inevitably turn down places. About half of my class were offered places in TCD but turned them down, and I'm sure the opposite is true for people accepting places in UCD but then going to TCD. The fact seems to be that most of my class were offered first choice in TCD, but came to UCD as it was cheaper. There are at least 3-4 amazingly gifted people in the higher diploma so I think the standard in both colleges will even out. If that's what you are thinking about. You might know enough to realise that both will be excellent in their own way. As I said I was a bit naive about TCD and kind of lapped up their (let's face it) 'we are trinity' bullsh it. That's all it is as well, but sure its elitism and its not going anywhere in a hurry.

I hope you get something anyway. I had thought TCD was a foregone conclusion the second time around but got an offer a few days later. I accepted that place and never took it, so there are a lot of offers being accepted and then later never taken up. I imagine its the higher diploma you are going for? If so then I'd say you have a good chance of getting in, assuming the reserve list is only a few people long.

Any other questions you have feel free to send them on. Its a pleasure to answer them and I would be very supportive of UCD psychology generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nini2014

I am in the same boat with the Higher Diploma in Psychology! Did you say you were put on the waiting list for TCD the second time around and then got offered a place? how long after you received the e-mail about the waiting list did you get an offer?

Thanks jackthelad321, that helps a lot. It's the HDip I've applied for. Hoping someone who accepted UCD will also get TCD and decide to change. Nini2014, did you apply for UCD as well?

• Advertisement

Nini2014 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat with the Higher Diploma in Psychology! Did you say you were put on the waiting list for TCD the second time around and then got offered a place? how long after you received the e-mail about the waiting list did you get an offer?

I remember being floored when I heard that I didn't get offered TCD, as I had been so directly focused on it. UCD was almost an afterthought, I remember. Then something like the next day or the day after that I got a call from UCD saying I had been accepted providing I finished a course I was doing, so it was a conditional offer, but all I had to do was finish the Open University module I was taking and that was fine. That was great motivation I remember. The a week or so after that I got an email notification announcing my status for TCD had changed and when I checked I got the offer.

I wasn't sure what happened, but In hindsight I think this. They give you a week to pay the deposit in TCD (500 euro or so). I imagine a few people accepted places in both UCD and TCD and later decided against TCD and informed them of the decision. That's why I think I got the offer around a week later, but bear in mind they probably informed the university that they weren't taking a place. I never told TCD i wasn't taking the place, I just assumed I was knocked off after not paying the deposit. However, a few weeks after that I got an email asking me to pay the deposit and I then said I wasn't attending.

This delay in me replying saw me being issued with a student number for TCD and everything! So even if you don't hear anything in a week or two for TCD don't despair just yet. People get offered places in AUgust/ September. They want your money! The fact the said you are on a waiting list is basically them saying, 'We'll take you but you're not our first choice' and I wouldn't take it too personally. In my higher diploma class there is a guy who went to Oxford, a girl who had a 4.0 from a US college in Neuroscience, and a girl who had a masters and got an A+ all through her undergrad, while another girl has two degrees already and got 590 in her leaving ... they all got offered TCD first-choice and they are all very strong. So there are often exceptional candidates and to be honest they are only the people I am thinking off the top of my head and teh rest of the class is very strong. But people often change their mind for numerous reasons.

Keep the faith, and stick with it even if you have to wait a year, maybe look for some research experience and reapply next year. Also, get on the dole if you aren't already as if you only have a undergrad you can get the back to education as it's a progression. Unless they have changed it. Trust me, this is worth it.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Thanks jackthelad321, that helps a lot. It's the HDip I've applied for. Hoping someone who accepted UCD will also get TCD and decide to change. Nini2014, did you apply for UCD as well?

Yes I've applied for both UCD and TCD (UCC and NUIG as well !!) got reserve for both UCD and TCD , what's your undergraduate in?

I remember being floored when I heard that I didn't get offered TCD, as I had been so directly focused on it. UCD was almost an afterthought, I remember. Then something like the next day or the day after that I got a call from UCD saying I had been accepted providing I finished a course I was doing, so it was a conditional offer, but all I had to do was finish the Open University module I was taking and that was fine. That was great motivation I remember. The a week or so after that I got an email notification announcing my status for TCD had changed and when I checked I got the offer.

I wasn't sure what happened, but In hindsight I think this. They give you a week to pay the deposit in TCD (500 euro or so). I imagine a few people accepted places in both UCD and TCD and later decided against TCD and informed them of the decision. That's why I think I got the offer around a week later, but bear in mind they probably informed the university that they weren't taking a place. I never told TCD i wasn't taking the place, I just assumed I was knocked off after not paying the deposit. However, a few weeks after that I got an email asking me to pay the deposit and I then said I wasn't attending.

This delay in me replying saw me being issued with a student number for TCD and everything! So even if you don't hear anything in a week or two for TCD don't despair just yet. People get offered places in AUgust/ September. They want your money! The fact the said you are on a waiting list is basically them saying, 'We'll take you but you're not our first choice' and I wouldn't take it too personally. In my higher diploma class there is a guy who went to Oxford, a girl who had a 4.0 from a US college in Neuroscience, and a girl who had a masters and got an A+ all through her undergrad, while another girl has two degrees already and got 590 in her leaving ... they all got offered TCD first-choice and they are all very strong. So there are often exceptional candidates and to be honest they are only the people I am thinking off the top of my head and teh rest of the class is very strong. But people often change their mind for numerous reasons.

Keep the faith, and stick with it even if you have to wait a year, maybe look for some research experience and reapply next year. Also, get on the dole if you aren't already as if you only have a undergrad you can get the back to education as it's a progression. Unless they have changed it. Trust me, this is worth it.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Thanks! One more question - what did most people have an undergraduate in? I have a law degree so I feel maybe my chances aren't as good because it's such a remote discipline from psychology an have no experience in psychology either!

Yes I've applied for both UCD and TCD (UCC and NUIG as well !!) got reserve for both UCD and TCD , what's your undergraduate in?

Did you get a similar letter to the one I received? I did a BA in geography and anthropology in NUIM.

Thanks! One more question - what did most people have an undergraduate in? I have a law degree so I feel maybe my chances aren't as good because it's such a remote discipline from psychology an have no experience in psychology either!

A law degree is as relevant as any other. In order to complete most degrees it involves many of the same skills required to complete a HDip in psychology.

Did you get a similar letter to the one I received? I did a BA in geography and anthropology in NUIM.

Yes I did! I talked to UCD and they said that we do stand a chance of getting in!

I don't think it matters at all. In fact, I can guarantee it doesn't matter what discipline you come from. They are training you up. All that matters it that they think you have a clear interest in the subject and can get through the two years. Chances are your experience and any extra experience outside of academics will be the difference (volunteering, other courses, e.g., extramural courses, taking part in experiments - I only had a 2.2 from my undergrad but had done a ton of stuff outside of the course, like courses and volunteering in experiments and learning a lot about the subject). They won't take someone who got a 1.1 in a related subject compared to someone from Law with, say, a 2.2, if the person with Law clearly knows a lot more about the subject or has a better CV. I think TCD don't give you a chance to include a personal statement so here your CV would be important to demonstrate your potential or separate you from the crowd. A lot of people need to apply twice, so if that happens to be you try to use the year as best you can.

I don't think it matters at all. In fact, I can guarantee it doesn't matter what discipline you come from. They are training you up. All that matters it that they think you have a clear interest in the subject and can get through the two years. Chances are your experience and any extra experience outside of academics will be the difference (volunteering, other courses, e.g., extramural courses, taking part in experiments - I only had a 2.2 from my undergrad but had done a ton of stuff outside of the course, like courses and volunteering in experiments and learning a lot about the subject). They won't take someone who got a 1.1 in a related subject compared to someone from Law with, say, a 2.2, if the person with Law clearly knows a lot more about the subject or has a better CV. I think TCD don't give you a chance to include a personal statement so here your CV would be important to demonstrate your potential or separate you from the crowd. A lot of people need to apply twice, so if that happens to be you try to use the year as best you can.

Thanks! I've already prepared myself for a year out and what I can do and learn in that year! I don't have any experience or extra courses on my application this year just a high grade law degree which I don't think will be enough this year!

Thank you for your advice, I feel a lot better about getting into one of these programmes whether it's this year or next!

Thanks! I've already prepared myself for a year out and what I can do and learn in that year! I don't have any experience or extra courses on my application this year just a high grade law degree which I don't think will be enough this year!

Thank you for your advice, I feel a lot better about getting into one of these programmes whether it's this year or next!

To answer your question about degrees, One girl had a neuroscience, another had an English and History BA and masters, another Guy had a philosophy degree and latin american history masters, another was a nurse, I also had an English and History BA, Another girl had a biology degree and and english degree, a lot of B.A.s - seem to be the most common, prob half the class, a few had psychology as a minor, but they end up having to take masters courses if they have done the class before (From UCD anyway) so its a but unfair on them I think!

Whatever happens If you take the year out you can make it work to your advantage anyway, like if you want to do clinical thehn do everything in your power to volunteer for a few months as a lot of people end up spending 1-2 years getting the experience afterwards anywat, so it's not a lost cause. Psychology is good in that regard as you need experience in many cases so you can try to get some over the next year and you won;t have realy lost any time.

If you go into the department and meet with Ger and a few others I bet you'll be accepted next year hands down. The difference between my application in 2011 and 2012 was night and day, just incredible. I was a different person applying. I ended up leaving things out from my statement and CV because I had no room for them! But that's where you want to be. I feel your pain though waiting and being rejected is always a sore one, but its a great learning expereince, you might as well face high standards getting in because psychology is very competitive (i'll tell you for nothing now). Things always work out in the end.

• Advertisement

To answer your question about degrees, One girl had a neuroscience, another had an English and History BA and masters, another Guy had a philosophy degree and latin american history masters, another was a nurse, I also had an English and History BA, Another girl had a biology degree and and english degree, a lot of B.A.s - seem to be the most common, prob half the class, a few had psychology as a minor, but they end up having to take masters courses if they have done the class before (From UCD anyway) so its a but unfair on them I think!

Whatever happens If you take the year out you can make it work to your advantage anyway, like if you want to do clinical thehn do everything in your power to volunteer for a few months as a lot of people end up spending 1-2 years getting the experience afterwards anywat, so it's not a lost cause. Psychology is good in that regard as you need experience in many cases so you can try to get some over the next year and you won;t have realy lost any time.

If you go into the department and meet with Ger and a few others I bet you'll be accepted next year hands down. The difference between my application in 2011 and 2012 was night and day, just incredible. I was a different person applying. I ended up leaving things out from my statement and CV because I had no room for them! But that's where you want to be. I feel your pain though waiting and being rejected is always a sore one, but its a great learning expereince, you might as well face high standards getting in because psychology is very competitive (i'll tell you for nothing now). Things always work out in the end.

I will let you know how I get on! It's definately a long road ahead no matter what happens!

Advertisement