Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Zealand Volcano-White Island

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

RiseToMe wrote: »

One person critical according to Newshub evening news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

One now confirmed dead with dozens missing and about 50 to be rescued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Nightmare fuel right there.

Does anyone know if it could have been predicted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Tragic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Scientists had warned of increased activity within the volcano so it was always a risk.

No signs of life on the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well in terms of it being an active volcano, it was gonna blow at some point,
    But as far as I know theres not much to say its likely to blow later today, or this week or whatever...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I know in the past, (ie 25 years ago), there was monitoring of mount ruapehu, there was a written report on current and recent activity, and some advice on what could happen, and telling visitors that it's an active volcano that could blow anytime,don't get too close,
    Which almost everyone ignored....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Markcheese wrote: »
      I know in the past, (ie 25 years ago), there was monitoring of mount ruapehu, there was a written report on current and recent activity, and some advice on what could happen, and telling visitors that it's an active volcano that could blow anytime,don't get too close,
      Which almost everyone ignored....

Unless you're small with hairy feet and carrying an evil ring, you shouldn't be in the crater of a volcano.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It was on a Level 4 (of 5) alert, a lot of minor activity there the past few weeks.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Very sad for the people caught up in it. It seems to have been a steam eruption rather than Magma. I suspect it was a horrible way to go. Apparently it's privately owned and I expect some serious questions will be asked of the owners and people who ran tours across the crater of an active volcano.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I went on a tour that included Mount Vesuvius, we were told it is an active volcano, but they do check every time they visit that it is safe to do so, they said the experts believe they can be sure for three days ahead whether an eruption would happen.
      The tour company also talked about the 3 million people who live around the volcano and how a practice evacuation was done so when it does erupt they would have practiced an evacuation. The evacuation plan failed as most people said they would remain if the volcano erupted and if it kills them so be it.

A few more people have succumbed in hospital. I’m going to guess that they were severely burned. Horrific stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How do the tourists actually reach the island.?
      Ferries or helicopter.?

Advertisement