Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Any time I tip the takeaway driver they mostly seem genuinely grateful for it. They certainly never beg/ask/panhandle for it. Most of the time they're turning on their heels before I even offer it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

limnam wrote: »
    Do you tip anyone?

No. I don’t get food delivered as I live out in the country so the only deliveries we get are from couriers (DPD, DHL etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I did this job for a few years while studying and between jobs/courses so I'll throw in my tuppence worth.

Tipping is an effective system. If nobody were to tip, the prices of the food would have to increase to make it worth the drivers' while.

Some people are of the opinion that if there is a delivery charge, then they shouldn't tip but they don't realise that the charge usually covers only part of the service. Even a small tip is much appreciated and makes a difference.

Tipping gives customers control as the price can reflect the service - you can give a little more for a great service, less for an average service, and nothing for a bad service. This works as an incentive for driver to go the extra mile for you.

It's an interesting job because you get to see different attitudes to money. Where I worked, most customers were regular and you'd know how much of a tip you would get in each run. Some people never gave a cent in the years I worked. Absolute miserable f*ckers who'd wait on 20cent change or purposely leave you short. Then you've the ones who send their kids to the door all the time to avoid tipping. Why not go and collect your order if you're averse to tipping? Some people were rude as f*ck, too, which was worse than anything. These types were always left waiting if I was pressed for time. Absolutely no skin of my nose if they don't order again.

By the same token, you have people who clearly weren't loaded but would go out of their way to tip a little bit. These were people who would make an effort to get to know you a bit. Some would even insist on you going into the house and they'd nearly feed ya the grub they had just got! I'd always make sure these types were well looked after.

So my advice - tip your driver somethin small provided the service is good. It's worth your while ;)!!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Any time I tip the takeaway driver they mostly seem genuinely grateful for it. They certainly never beg/ask/panhandle for it. Most of the time they're turning on their heels before I even offer it to them.

This is generally true in my experience. I would always make sure to have change ready if possible so as not to appear to be waiting to be told to keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If it's a guy, no. If it's a gal, yes. Purely so I can be factual when I refer to all the ladies I have satisfied with just the tip.

• Advertisement

Half and half if i do since i usually pay with card anyway. Depends on mood. They don't hang around looking for one either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭limnam

No. I don’t get food delivered as I live out in the country so the only deliveries we get are from couriers (DPD, DHL etc)

taxi drivers/waiters? anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Tipping is an effective system. If nobody were to tip, the prices of the food would have to increase to make it worth the drivers' while.

It's an interesting job because you get to see different attitudes to money. Where I worked, most customers were regular and you'd know how much of a tip you would get in each run. Some people never gave a cent in the years I worked. Absolute miserable f*ckers who'd wait on 20cent change or purposely leave you short. Then you've the ones who send their kids to the door all the time to avoid tipping. Why not go and collect your order if you're averse to tipping? Some people were rude as f*ck, too, which was worse than anything. These types were always left waiting if I was pressed for time. Absolutely no skin of my nose if they don't order again.

It's people like yourself that are the reason I don't tip.

I would hate to think I was rewarding someone like you for having such a ****ty attitude towards customers and towards your job.

Purposely leaving people waiting and insulting people for waiting for their change and then having the gall to complain that some people were rude?
    So my advice - tip your driver somethin small provided the service is good. It's worth your while !!

My advice - don't do a job if you are essentially blackmailing a customer into paying an additional premium on top of the price and delivery charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

Ironicname wrote: »
    My advice - don't do a job if you are essentially blackmailing a customer into paying an additional premium on top of the price and delivery charge.

or if willing to soil the goods being provided if no loose change received.

It's people like yourself that are the reason I don't tip.

I would hate to think I was rewarding someone like you for having such a ****ty attitude towards customers and towards your job.

Purposely leaving people waiting and insulting people for waiting for their change and then having the gall to complain that some people were rude?

Nonsense. You don't tip because you are miserly, that is all. The "people like you" bit is the type of excuse you use to convince yourself that you're not a scrooge.

And for the record, I made it my business to be a very pleasant delivery driver unless otherwise warranted. Received many a compliment for being courteous to people.

I'll explain again to you, I wouldn't go out of my way to leave a non tipping customer waiting. They wouldnt be top of the list though. A completely reasonable approach.

My attitude (and the attitude of all drivers I worked with) was simple. The customers who tended to tip were prioritized, as were the customers who were nice to deal with. Those who would go out of their way not to give you the steam off their piss, and particularly rude c*nts, were not prioritized.

Isn't this the exact kind of no-nonsense attitude a non-tipper like yourself takes pride in? i.e. Not your problem if the driver is working in the pissing rain for a low wage, etc, etc. You are most certainly entitled to take that attitude, but also accept that you won't be prioritized. It would be foolish of a driver to deliver to someone like you first if they also have another run that pays more. It's simple business sense. You'd be hard pushed to find a successful business that puts customers who contribute less ahead of those who contribute more.

You get what you pay for.

My sh*tty attitude is towards people who were obnoxious and people who seem hell bent on not tipping. I have a wealth of experience to back this up so take my word for it when I tell you that people like that are generally all-round c*nts. To a simple non-tipper who is neither rude nor pleasant, I will retain a healthy level of indifference.

It's all very basic, common sense stuff.

From your post I gather you're the type of person who would wait on 20cent change just out of principle. If that is the case, I wish mediocre curries and hour-long waits upon you for the rest of your takeway eating days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I did this job for a few years while studying and between jobs/courses so I'll throw in my tuppence worth.

Some people are of the opinion that if there is a delivery charge, then they shouldn't tip but they don't realise that the charge usually covers only part of the service. Even a small tip is much appreciated and makes a difference.

Tipping gives customers control as the price can reflect the service - you can give a little more for a great service, less for an average service, and nothing for a bad service. This works as an incentive for driver to go the extra mile for you.

By the same token, you have people who clearly weren't loaded but would go out of their way to tip a little bit. These were people who would make an effort to get to know you a bit. Some would even insist on you going into the house and they'd nearly feed ya the grub they had just got! I'd always make sure these types were well looked after.

So my advice - tip your driver somethin small provided the service is good. It's worth your while ;)!!

Not a hope in hell do I tip - I pay for everything by credit card so that when food arrives I can eat it as quick and as hot as possible. Not fvcking around at the doorstop.

Delivery times in my area average 45-60mins so I'm hungry.

Leave the food and fvck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I always tip the delivery guy..... extra if it's raining and he's on a bicycle.

I don't care if he's already getting paid, he has gone out in the rain to bring me hot and tasty food. It costs me €2 to put a smile on somebodies face who is having an otherwise crappy evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I’d say plenty of auld ones tip the postman
    Box of Miniature Heros at Christmas

Not a hope in hell do I tip - I pay for everything by credit card so that when food arrives I can eat it as quick and as hot as possible. Not fvcking around at the doorstop.

Delivery times in my area average 45-60mins so I'm hungry.

Leave the food and fvck off.

How is giving a tip going to delay you? You could have a coin ready if you wanted.

If you try it you might find that your waiting time is reduced. And if not, I wouldnt blame you for not tipping again. In fact, I wouldnt bother ordering from a place that was going to leave me an hour waiting every week without fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

In fact, I wouldnt bother ordering from a place that was going to leave me an hour waiting every week without fail.

Try ordering a BASE pizza on a Saturday night :D

Worth the wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I always feel weird at the thought of handing a grown adult a pound, like it's kind of insulting. . . .so I just order for collection

Nonsense. You don't tip because you are miserly, that is all. The "people like you" bit is the type of excuse you use to convince yourself that you're not a scrooge.

Nope. I don't tip because people like you don't deserve a tip
    And for the record, I made it my business to be a very pleasant delivery driver unless otherwise warranted. Received many a compliment for being courteous to people.

You warrant being pleasant as someone who expects someone not to wait for their change. Otherwise, they are "miserable".

Apparently not. I pay for food and a delivery charge. Not for the delivery man to make a moral decision of whether or not I deserve my food first.
    From your post I gather you're the type of person who would wait on 20cent change just out of principle. If that is the case, I wish mediocre curries and hour-long waits upon you for the rest of your takeway eating days.

No. I'm the kind of person that doesn't take a job that makes me feel I deserve to give poor service to people who won't give me 20c because I feel like I am owed something.

I wish unemployment to you and people who think like you. You aren't doing me a service, you are doing a job on behalf of your employer.

If you have an issue with your remuneration, it is with your employer, not me.

I pay for my food and shouldn't expect the quality to be determined by a disgruntled employee that I need to compensate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You warrant being pleasant as someone who expects someone not to wait for their change. Otherwise, they are "miserable".

Apparently not. I pay for food and a delivery charge. Not for the delivery man to make a moral decision of whether or not I deserve my food first.

No. I'm the kind of person that doesn't take a job that makes me feel I deserve to give poor service to people who won't give me 20c because I feel like I am owed something.

I wish unemployment to you and people who think like you. You aren't doing me a service, you are doing a job on behalf of your employer.

I pay for my food and shouldn't expect the quality to be determined by a disgruntled employee that I need to compensate
    When people are saying “tips ensure a better service” they really mean they’re holding your food hostage unless you give them a little extra for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Did Martin Luther King Jnr Tip the Bus Driver when he was dragged off that bus? I think not.

Don't be racist, tip the bus driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

He said that at busy times, tippers are prioritised. You need to sort them somehow and that seems as good a way as any. You can take your business elsewhere but I wouldn’t be surprised if all delivery drivers do the same as him. I’m loving the idea of you being kept waiting, to be honest.

• Advertisement

If they’re being like that about it then they’re surely not getting anything. We should all just go for our takeaway and put them out of a job. Prioritise that.

Ironicname and Woke Hogan wouldn't tip their hats by the sounds of it. The type of lads who hang the tea bags out on the line and use both sides of the bog roll.

Piggybacking off the people who do tip.

We actually should eliminate tipping altogether then so that the prices increase and these scabby gits have to pay the fair price!!

Never heard anyone being so enraged over the prospect of losing 20 cent. Bloody miserable gits!!

If they’re being like that about it then they’re surely not getting anything. We should all just go for our takeaway and put them out of a job. Prioritise that.

Yeah, well, they exist because many people don’t want to collect so good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

I used to deliver Chinese,so of course I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

vandriver wrote: »
    I used to deliver Chinese,so of course I do.

Nice username :D

We actually should eliminate tipping altogether then so that the prices increase and these scabby gits have to pay the fair price!!

That would be the best way. And make companies prove the delivery people get a share.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PeasantHater

You wish unemployment on people like this?
    LOL

You sound so bitter

I’ve been doing delivery driving for a while now to offset the outrageous tax I pay from my full time employment in this swamp of a country.

People like you are just miserable in general, I do enjoy when people with this attitude get a nice look at my premium German car, going back into their sh1t apartment with me knowing I’m going back to my nice 180sqm house.

Enjoy your life of misery, peasant.

Yeah, well, they exist because many people don’t want to collect so good luck with that.

Really? I actually thought it would happen. Darn it.

Are you one of those customers who pretend they're missing food to get freebies?!

Woke Hogan and Ironic lad are at that 24/7, too, no doubt.

I always had those cheeky bastards well sussed. Cant spot em a mile away! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ironicname and Woke Hogan wouldn't tip their hats by the sounds of it. The type of lads who hang the tea bags out on the line and use both sides of the bog roll.

Piggybacking off the people who do tip.

Never heard anyone being so enraged over the prospect of losing 20 cent. Bloody miserable gits!!

That would be you buddy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Are you one of those customers who pretend they're missing food to get freebies?!

I wouldn’t even ring if I was actually missing something. Just leave a one star move on to the next place next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I’d say you can spot most of your customers from a mile away. I would rather eat silage than any of that puke, so you haven’t spotted me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

That would be the best way. And make companies prove the delivery people get a share.

Ah here why don’t we just implement communism.

Your man or girl for the pc amongst us who deliver food to a door have chosen to do so.

If they don’t feel they’re paid enough there are other jobs out there.

Not able to get other work you say, get qualified.

To stupid you say, go work in sales in pretty much any industry and you’ll make commission.

To answer question op I don’t tip the delivery person but the only reason I don’t is pay for everything on card these days. Tapedy tap tap.

Thankfully most restaurants allow tips this way too which I do give.

****n hate cash.

Really? I actually thought it would happen. Darn it.

Oh, okay, your post was just a foot stamp. Gotcha.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'll explain again to you, I wouldn't go out of my way to leave a non tipping customer waiting. They wouldnt be top of the list though. A completely reasonable approach.

My attitude (and the attitude of all drivers I worked with) was simple. The customers who tended to tip were prioritized, as were the customers who were nice to deal with. Those who would go out of their way not to give you the steam off their piss, and particularly rude c*nts, were not prioritized.

Isn't this the exact kind of no-nonsense attitude a non-tipper like yourself takes pride in? i.e. Not your problem if the driver is working in the pissing rain for a low wage, etc, etc. You are most certainly entitled to take that attitude, but also accept that you won't be prioritized. It would be foolish of a driver to deliver to someone like you first if they also have another run that pays more. It's simple business sense. You'd be hard pushed to find a successful business that puts customers who contribute less ahead of those who contribute more.

My sh*tty attitude is towards people who were obnoxious and people who seem hell bent on not tipping. I have a wealth of experience to back this up so take my word for it when I tell you that people like that are generally all-round c*nts. To a simple non-tipper who is neither rude nor pleasant, I will retain a healthy level of indifference.

It's all very basic, common sense stuff.

Your attitude is ridiculous. Take away food is (generally) low quality and expensive. People pay enough for their take away food and usually pay for delivery on top of that. Why should they pay extra to subsidise the delivery drivers pay? The whole concept of tipping baffles me.
    Rare I'd get a taxi of anything but it if was a small bit of change I wouldn't wait for it, but to think someone actually expects you to give them extra money on top of what you have already paid and calls you a 'miser' because of it...Jesus.

• Advertisement

Oh, okay, your post was just a foot stamp. Gotcha.

Oh, okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

NO one is providing a service when the delivery charge is already 2 euros however....I cant help but give one or two euro.

NO one is providing a service when the delivery charge is already 2 euros however....I cant help but give one or two euro.

There’s very few only charging 2 quid these days.

He said that at busy times, tippers are prioritised. You need to sort them somehow and that seems as good a way as any. You can take your business elsewhere but I wouldn’t be surprised if all delivery drivers do the same as him. I’m loving the idea of you being kept waiting, to be honest.

Its not losing 20c. It's giving it for no reason.
    You wish unemployment on people like this? LOL
    No. I wish unemployment on people who expect additional payments on their already agreed on wage.
    People like you are just miserable in general, I do enjoy when people with this attitude get a nice look at my premium German car, going back into their sh1t apartment with me knowing I’m going back to my nice 180sqm house.

Ok
    Enjoy your life of misery, peasant.

Ok.

At what? I don't pay an extra on my delivery charge. What a prick I must be.

I love that people have said if they get good service they will tip.what is good service? Food arriving at the time given? Hardly good service. That's the expected minimum.

Your attitude is ridiculous. Take away food is (generally) low quality and expensive. People pay enough for their take away food and usually pay for delivery on top of that. Why should they pay extra to subsidise the delivery drivers pay? The whole concept of tipping baffles me.
    Rare I'd get a taxi of anything but it if was a small bit of change I wouldn't wait for it, but to think someone actually expects you to give them extra money on top of what you have already paid and calls you a 'miser' because of it...Jesus.

Chinese food is cheap. That is what I was delivering. (edit: the delivery charge was 2euro)

You pay for your food, yes. Then you pay a bit more to get that food brought to you. You are automatically charged a small fee for delivery (some places don't even do this, do you tip these folk?). Either way, the delivery fee is generally not enough to cover an acceptable wage.

People who grasp this simple concept then throw an extra euro (or two if they want to push the boat out) to the driver. This fee can reflect how good you feel the service was. Gives you a bit of control. Like, give him 2.50 if he is very quick, friendly, and knocks gently on your window as instructed so as not to wake your kid up, and is really good looking. Know what I mean?

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of eliminating tipping. But if this happened you would have to pay a slightly higher price for your food. Not sure why that is so difficult to understand? It's the business model that has emerged in the delivery business - you could protest it with Reggie if you like. I think he wants to start a revolution in the fast food industry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Chinese food is cheap. That is what I was delivering.

You pay for your food, yes. Then you pay a bit more to get that food brought to you. You are automatically charged a small fee for delivery (some places don't even do this, do you tip these folk?). Either way, the delivery fee is generally not enough to cover an acceptable wage.

People who grasp this simple concept then throw an extra euro (or two if they want to push the boat out) to the driver. This fee can reflect how good you feel the service was. Gives you a bit of control. Like, give him 2.50 if he is very quick, friendly, and knocks gently on your window as instructed so as not to wake your kid up, and is really good looking. Know what I mean?

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of eliminating tipping. But if this happened you would have to pay a slightly higher price for your food. Not sure why that is so difficult to understand? It's the business model that has emerged in the delivery business - you could protest it with Reggie if you like. I think he wants to start a revolution in the fast food industry!

Why did you retire?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I swear by the Stafford system of tipping. It originated in Georgian times.

Simply, it comes down to two things; fragrance and swagger.

Arrive at the door with a mysterious scent? That's 50 cent, right there.

Walk away from the door with exagerrated hip movement? I'll be getting that 50 cent back.

And so on.

Its not losing 20c. It's giving it for no reason...
    At what? I don't pay an extra on my delivery charge. What a prick I must be.

I love that people have said if they get good service they will tip.what is good service? Food arriving at the time given? Hardly good service. That's the expected minimum.

re the bit in bold - you said it , not me :D

The standard time frame quoted in our place was between 30 mins and 45 mins. I could have it to ya in 15 or 20 if you played your cards right ;)

Do us a favour Woke. Will you tip your driver 50 cent next time and see how it pans our for you? It's christmas FFS!

actually I remember there was this one lad who used to never tip. One frosty December night he was short a few coins and asked me to let him away with it cos "it was Christmas".

Had to admire the cheek and let him off.

beejee wrote: »
    I swear by the Stafford system of tipping. It originated in Georgian times.

Simply, it comes down to two things; fragrance and swagger.

Arrive at the door with a mysterious scent? That's 50 cent, right there.

Walk away from the door with exagerrated hip movement? I'll be getting that 50 cent back.

And so on.

I was probably smellin of Eau de Spice Bag. You'd have left me short.

But I've a great arse so you'd have been chasing me down the driveway to give me a crisp fiver after I swaggered away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Depends what type delivery it is.
    If guy just dropping pizza or parcel - no tips or max 1 euro
    If guy delivering sofa, or catering for 60 people including dishes - sure 10 euros minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I was probably smellin of Eau de Spice Bag. You'd have left me short.

But I've a great arse so you'd have been chasing me down the driveway to give me a crisp fiver after I swaggered away.

Don't you ever stop that walking, baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

Always give €2

Why did you retire?

Life is all about change Rower. I moved on.

I have to say most customers were bang on and I enjoyed it overall. Takes its toll on the motor mind you. The aul punto was never the same after those last few months on the road.

Although all this reminiscing is making me nostalgic. Usually made decent enough money in December and all. Might see if they need cover New Years Eve.

re the bit in bold - you said it , not me
    I sure did. I owe you nothing.
    The standard time frame quoted in our place was between 30 mins and 45 mins. I could have it to ya in 15 or 20 if you played your cards right

Ooh you scamp. I will sure add to your ****ty lifestyle by rewarding you for ****ty service for ****ty food.

My ****ty food will arrive 15-30 mins earlier? O.m.g. in fairness buddy, people ordering food don't give a **** about freshness or speed.

But you should feel good running around to ensure other peoples food are slightly warmer because they give you a euro.

Yet you insinuate I should be embarrassed?

I sure did. I owe you nothing.

Ooh you scamp. I will sure add to your ****ty lifestyle by rewarding you for ****ty service for ****ty food.

My ****ty food will arrive 15-30 mins earlier? O.m.g. in fairness buddy, people ordering food don't give a **** about freshness or speed.

But you should feel good running around to ensure other peoples food are slightly warmer because they give you a euro.

Yet you insinuate I should be embarrassed?

What you should be embarrassed about is your use of the acronym OMG, unless of course you are a 12 year old girl (who by all means should not be tipping her pocket money to anyone).

• Advertisement
Advertisement