Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black 'Week' - Laptop Bargains

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Rooy wrote: »
    Im in the same boat , should have got the Lenovo for 430 in Argos , but was too slow/still deciding on whether to get one for son for Christmas.
    This is what Im considering as an alternative :
    ACER Aspire 5 A515 15.6" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5, 256 GB SSD, Silver
    for 479 Euro , would be great to hear any opinions on whether it good value , or any alternatives <500euro.

Reasonable quadcore processor at a good price.
    Reasonable graphics that might stretch to some lower spec gaming.
    8Gb RAM and a 256Gb SSD

Its a bit stingy on the storage- but you can always use removable storage to supplement the SSD.

Its hard to argue with the price- and its remarkable that you get so much more for your money than just a few short years ago.

Personally- I'd pay extra and get something with more storage- but I wouldn't have any great issue recommending this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Any opinions on this? https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-15-5000/spd/inspiron-15-5593-laptop/cn59306?configurationid=4f61e064-dc72-4a4f-b4e9-1cc47ceaf3e6

I'd get it for around €615 with the discount code. I've had an i7 Dell XPS since 2011( cost €600+ at the time) and it's been spot on but it's dated now. Would I get a better deal if I wait until January? I'm not in a rush.

EDIT: It'll most likely be running Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

limktime wrote: »
    Any opinions on this? https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-15-5000/spd/inspiron-15-5593-laptop/cn59306?configurationid=4f61e064-dc72-4a4f-b4e9-1cc47ceaf3e6

I'd get it for around €615 with the discount code. I've had an i7 Dell XPS since 2011( cost €600+ at the time) and it's been spot on but it's dated now. Would I get a better deal if I wait until January? I'm not in a rush.

I was looking at it too, looks very good depending on what you want. The graphics card is not up to much if your gaming.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I was looking at it too, looks very good depending on what you want. The graphics card is not up to much if your gaming.

Yeah, I don't play games so that wouldn't be a deal breaker. Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on it or not. 12% off ends today...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Rooy wrote: »
    Im in the same boat , should have got the Lenovo for 430 in Argos , but was too slow/still deciding on whether to get one for son for Christmas.
    This is what Im considering as an alternative :
    ACER Aspire 5 A515 15.6" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5, 256 GB SSD, Silver
    for 479 Euro , would be great to hear any opinions on whether it good value , or any alternatives <500euro.

Was looking at that one myself but unfortunately Currys said they are out of stock. Checked online and shows no store having it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Mr. Tickle

Hi Guys,
    All a bit high end for my requirments. I was looking for a laptop for my daughter who is 16 but mainly wants to do writing on it it, plays creative writing etc.. I was even looking at a chromebook (shame) but would ideally like a laptop with a disc drive or is that just my old fashioned ways? any ideas on offers? I have looked H/N Currys etc. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

joe123 wrote: »
    Was looking at that one myself but unfortunately Currys said they are out of stock. Checked online and shows no store having it.

Im going to have to pull the trigger on something soon cause that was showing available for delivery about 9pm yesterday.
    I was also looking at a Dell from their online store but at checkout it said delivery 02/01/2020 so had to let it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

This HP 15s-fq1515sa 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 128 GB SSD laptop was previously mentioned in this thread as a decent budget option...
    garv123 wrote: »

glasso wrote: »
    that's decent. nothing wrong with it. for a 15.6 unit it's not that heavy at 1.7 kg.

you may want to upgrade to 8gb ram down the line but that's a 10 minute job with a screwdriver and the cost would be about €35 euro

There's some discussion of it over on HUKD, where people were reporting some sort of mixup whereby a fair number of the units actually contain a 10th-gen i5 processor rather than an i3.

It's back up to £479 stg in the UK, but strangely is still discounted at €389 here. I took a punt on it and can confirm that it has an i5-1035g4. Or at least that's what the box says. Christmas present so it hasn't been opened yet.

Pretty decent bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Guys am i better waiting till january for a new laptop would i get better offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭raxy

torrevieja wrote: »
    Guys am i better waiting till january for a new laptop would i get better offers?

At this stage I'd wait till NY sales to see if there are any good offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

This HP 15s-fq1515sa 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 128 GB SSD laptop was previously mentioned in this thread as a decent budget option...

There's some discussion of it over on HUKD, where people were reporting some sort of mixup whereby a fair number of the units actually contain a 10th-gen i5 processor rather than an i3.

It's back up to £479 stg in the UK, but strangely is still discounted at €389 here. I took a punt on it and can confirm that it has an i5-1035g4. Or at least that's what the box says. Christmas present so it hasn't been opened yet.

Pretty decent bargain.

Thanks, picked an 10th gen i5 one up thanks to this. Asked to see the box before purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Thanks, picked an 10th gen i5 one up thanks to this. Asked to see the box before purchase!

Any chance you can post the i5 model number from the box please? Wouldn't mind checking it out.

biebiebie wrote: »
    Any chance you can post the i5 model number from the box please? Wouldn't mind checking it out.

Won't have box till Thursday, left it in work.
    System info says it's 15s-fq1xxx.

Currys Sell the grey one I got as 15s-fq1514sa. I'm not sure if the model number in the box side saya na or sa....but it clearly says i5 on the side spec sheet.
    The screen is very usable in my opinion. I use windows black theme so the slightly washed out panels are fine for me.
    Also keyboard is about mushy and some flex. I've connected an apple keyboard I found at demolition site two years back so no issue for me on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Eventually purchased a laptop , went for this in Argos , looks like decent enough value to me ;

ASUS VivoBook 15 15.6 Inch Ryzen 5 8GB 256GB FHD Laptop (cat no. 9396461) EUR489.99 * on Argos.ie
    http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=9396461

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

i bought laptop in argos before was a 2 year old model

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

biebiebie wrote: »

I bought that HP online from Currys this week (grey version) and the side of the box says i3 but on starting it up its actually an i5.

Side note on box says: 15s-fq1514na Intel Core i3-1005G1 Processor [2]
    Computer says: i5-1035G4

I bought that HP online from Currys this week (grey version) and the side of the box says i3 but on starting it up its actually an i5.

Side note on box says: 15s-fq1514na Intel Core i3-1005G1 Processor [2]
    Computer says: i5-1035G4

Same code but says i5 on box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Balmed Out wrote: »
    And they want an extra €20 for a backlit keyboard. Miserable sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

What discount code would this be? Looking at this one also

speedfreak wrote: »
    What discount code would this be? Looking at this one also

The offer ended a while back. There was 12% off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I've had an i7 Dell XPS since 2011( cost €600+ at the time) and it's been spot on but it's dated now. Would I get a better deal if I wait until January? I'm not in a rush.

I was about to change my 5 or 6 year old machine when I thought I'd try replacing the hard drive with an SSD. It's like a new machine, think I'll get another couple of years out of it. Cost me about €50 for a 480Gb one. Worth considering, if your old machine was that good (I'm assuming it doesn't already have an SSD)

p15574 wrote: »
    I was about to change my 5 or 6 year old machine when I thought I'd try replacing the hard drive with an SSD. It's like a new machine, think I'll get another couple of years out of it. Cost me about €50 for a 480Gb one. Worth considering, if you're old machine was that good (I'm assuming it doesn't already have an SSD)

I'd need to add an SSD and buy a new battery (the current one is dead). Also, the screen is crap, it's huge, very clunky and some keys are starting to come loose so I think I've gotten my money's worth at this stage! Good tip for anyone with a slightly ageing machine though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

p15574 wrote: »
    I was about to change my 5 or 6 year old machine when I thought I'd try replacing the hard drive with an SSD. It's like a new machine, think I'll get another couple of years out of it. Cost me about €50 for a 480Gb one. Worth considering, if your old machine was that good (I'm assuming it doesn't already have an SSD)
    Can I ask what's involved in moving the Windows OS from the old hard drive onto the SSD? Do you need to have original Windows media available?

Can I ask what's involved in moving the Windows OS from the old hard drive onto the SSD? Do you need to have original Windows media available?

you should be able to generate media from windows easily enough, theres an option within settings somewhere as i recall

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

As the Windows version is associated with the CPU id (as far as I remember) you don't need to keep anything. I just downloaded a Windows install onto a USB stick, ensured the laptop BIOS allowed booting from USB stick (probably F12 at boot up time to get into BIOS settings), and then booted from the USB stick to install a fresh copy of the latest Windows edition onto the SSD. If you want to keep your existing installation and installed programs etc there are ways to do that, but it's more complicated and I wanted a nice clean, fast copy anyway, even if I had to reinstall a few programs. I did make sure to note what I did have installed on the old disk before I started anything. I also have a disk caddy so I knew I could access the old disk anytime I wanted using that later, if I need to get any files or anything from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

you should be able to generate media from windows easily enough, theres an option within settings somewhere as i recall

Easiest way... get a cable that is USB to sata (sandisk do a backup kit for about 15 on amazon... although the software with that is rubbish)..

One you have said cable.... plug the new ssd into one of your USB ports like it was any other external hard disk and then clone the drive using free software... i did this succesfully and easily with Aomei file backupper just a week ago.

This is back on offer. 14% off with SALE14 this time, so €601.

I ordered earlier. I was going to pay the bit extra for the i7 but the code doesn't work for that. It says it won't be delivered until 24/01 as well, which is quite a wait.

Advertisement