Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split the Coronavirus thread into 'Discussion' and 'News'

Options
  • 06-03-2020 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

It's one of the fastest moving threads I've seen on Boards. There's a lot of crap being posted by people nowhere near as funny as they think, and the news stories or Twitter posts from reputable sources are hard to keep track of.

Is there any way of having 2 threads - one for chat/discussion and one for confirmed news?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

It's one of the fastest moving threads I've seen on Boards. There's a lot of crap being posted by people nowhere near as funny as they think, and the news stories or Twitter posts from reputable sources are hard to keep track of.

Is there any way of having 2 threads - one for chat/discussion and one for confirmed news?

There is news outlets web pages I think

And discussion boards seem to have their own website's I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A lot of the posters in there see no distinction between hysteria and confirmed news, so I doubt a split would have much effect.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posters naturally gravitate towards a single thread. If we have 2 one will dominate and posters will post what they want in it even if it's better suited to the other thread

If we try and keep a thread with only reliable/verifiable sources it will still be a magnet for gossip and speculation. There is also a question over what is verified to an "appropriate" standard is what that standard should be

In terms of moderation though it's a nightmare to try and keep on top of a single thread. We are currently averaging 3,000 or more posts a day in the forum with probably 75% of them being in the main coronavirus thread

We do have a sticky with relevant resource links where posters can find reliable information via those links

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Works in the “weather forum”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The amount of hysterical nonsense in the chat thread is ridiculous "the HSE are keeping the real numbers hidden", "I hear xyz school is shutting down", "the fatality rate is 102%".

This is obviously a massive event, and Boards is just noise at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If people want "real" news updates they get it through TV and radio already.

Advertisement