Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning mtb without getting squealing brakes

Options
  • 11-11-2020 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

how do you manage it?
    Any bike I've got with disc brakes always ends up with the dreaded squeal after a wash.

im now waiting on a delivery of isopropyl alcohol so I can start decontamination of discs and pads.

any tips or video links that can show me the error of my ways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

What cleaning products are you using to wash the bike with?

I've never had any issues with multiple disc brake bikes I have after washing with a product added to bucket of water.

If I'm using any sort of aerosol product near the bike while the wheels are still on, I cover both rotors and calipers with old plastic shopping bags, so they don't get any over spray on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kingoffifa wrote:
    im now waiting on a delivery of isopropyl alcohol so I can start decontamination of discs and pads.

I strip the bike down when cleaning, and use isopropyl spray on the disks, does the job, I sometimes remove the disks, if I have the time

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭covey123

kingoffifa wrote: »
    how do you manage it?
    Any bike I've got with disc brakes always ends up with the dreaded squeal after a wash.

any tips or video links that can show me the error of my ways.

Not sure how successful you will be decontaminating the pads,discs should clean up no bother though.
    I know a guy who cleans his MX discs with petrol, can't vouch for it myself but same guy is well into his MX and bikes so might be worth looking into

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Rubbing alcohol is the cheapest and most effective tbh, can be found in a pharmacy.
    Microfiber cloths also which can be found in supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Remove pads and put them in the dishwasher for a hot wash.

Probs best without the wife knowing (or regular crockery).

• Advertisement
Advertisement