Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wild Camping Tent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Sorry to resus this thread but just reading through the thread, some great advice. This initial list is great - are there anymore updated suggested tents in the 2 person ( 1 + gear really) , 2kg roughly, with vestibule space?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Don't know if they can be bought here in Ireland, but a lot of noise online about the Phoxx 2 Tent from OEX. A budget backpacking tent.
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15980946/oex-phoxx-2-tent-15980946

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

BigGeorge wrote: »
    Sorry to resus this thread but just reading through the thread, some great advice. This initial list is great - are there anymore updated suggested tents in the 2 person ( 1 + gear really) , 2kg roughly, with vestibule space?

What's your budget?

probably €300,

The MSR elixir 2 is less than that but quite heavy, the Hubba Hubba 2 is a bunch more money. Was looking at the nature hike cloud up2 / Mongar 20D on amazon / aliexpress but was concerned about longevity - even though its half the price so might be worth the chance

BigGeorge wrote: »
    probably €300,

The MSR elixir 2 is less than that but quite heavy, the Hubba Hubba 2 is a bunch more money. Was looking at the nature hike cloud up2 / Mongar 20D on amazon / aliexpress but was concerned about longevity - even though its half the price so might be worth the chance

The elixir2 is around 2.4kg, I have one and it's a good tent, pretty large foot print if you're in a tight area. The cloud up 2 gets good reviews but you'll be waiting for it coming from China.

If you're looking for longevity it's hard to look passed some of the more premium brand MSR/Hilleberg in the long run you'll probably wish you'd forked out.

• Advertisement

Great advice - you are right about longevity, will have another look around

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dubh laoch

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The elixir2 is around 2.4kg, I have one and it's a good tent, pretty large foot print if you're in a tight area. The cloud up 2 gets good reviews but you'll be waiting for it coming from China.

If you're looking for longevity it's hard to look passed some of the more premium brand MSR/Hilleberg in the long run you'll probably wish you'd forked out.

As a beginner, is it worth forking out €300 for a tent or is there a cheaper alternative available?

Thanks,

Dubh

dubh laoch wrote: »
    As a beginner, is it worth forking out €300 for a tent or is there a cheaper alternative available?

Thanks,

Dubh

Plenty of cheap tents about vango banshee is highly regarded. https://thescoutshop.ie/product/banshee-pro-200-tent

A few factors will dictate your choice, weight,1/2 man etc Usually the cheaper you go the heavier it will get unless you go super cheap and buy a pop up tent which would not be wise.

The cloud up tent is a good compromise in all areas and not mad money. I'm not a fan of the shark fin design as I can't see it doing well in high wind but worth a punt. for €75

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000232879071.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.636c6ec5BJyuZx&algo_pvid=fab85d70-9ba9-4ce7-a842-94885ad26bde&algo_expid=fab85d70-9ba9-4ce7-a842-94885ad26bde-1&btsid=0b0a01f816163387026628562e9054&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I ended up getting an MDr hubba hubba NX from Bike24 in Germany for €366, which is a lot cheaper than anywhere in ireland / UK and was able to confirm with MSR that it was the latest model. About €50 more than the elixir 2 and does not come with a ground sheet though

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dubh laoch

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Plenty of cheap tents about vango banshee is highly regarded. https://thescoutshop.ie/product/banshee-pro-200-tent

A few factors will dictate your choice, weight,1/2 man etc Usually the cheaper you go the heavier it will get unless you go super cheap and buy a pop up tent which would not be wise.

The cloud up tent is a good compromise in all areas and not mad money. I'm not a fan of the shark fin design as I can't see it doing well in high wind but worth a punt. for €75

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000232879071.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.636c6ec5BJyuZx&algo_pvid=fab85d70-9ba9-4ce7-a842-94885ad26bde&algo_expid=fab85d70-9ba9-4ce7-a842-94885ad26bde-1&btsid=0b0a01f816163387026628562e9054&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Thanks a million for your recommendations. I am going to order the Cloud Up 2 as a starter and see how I fare. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

dubh laoch wrote: »
    Thanks a million for your recommendations. I am going to order the Cloud Up 2 as a starter and see how I fare. Thanks again.

I have the Vango banshee. Its a great tent but a but too low. Its great if you are sitting most of the night by a campfire and then only get in trnt for sleep but if I was stuck in a rain day it would be a bit too cramped. The cloud up looks better, more head room.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭El Vino

Not sure if Alpkit still deliver to Ireland post brexit but I have their 1 man, the Soloist. Seems well made and good value.
    https://alpkit.com/collections/camping-shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ThreeGreens

I have the cloud up 2 tent. Though I have the original model, not the current one. The white and red one (slightly lighter than the orange or green ones).

The current one pole splits into two at the back, while the original has just one centre pole.
    The advantage of the new one is that it's free standing but it's slightly heaver.

Anyway I think it's a brilliant tent. I go camping maybe 4 times per year, and have head it for about 4 years. It's still in perfect condition.

Never got wet in it. I did initially worry about it's ability to stand up to the wind. But I had it one night on a very windy Omey island and it managed no problem at all.

Never had any issue with condensation. 50% of the inside wall is a net/mesh, so it's well aired, but that can make it a bit chilly at times.

If it got damaged tomorrow, I'd have no hesitation in replacing it with another Cloud UP 2 tent.

For me, it's the perfect comprise between durability, weight and cost. I don't think it's the most durable tent out there. But with taking just a little care, mine is still in perfect condition.

As with any 2 man it's really 1 person + bag or two people very tight with no bags. The vestibule is quite small.

As it's over €22, you might get hit for VAT on it. I didn't but mine came in via Northern Ireland Parcel Motel (they would deliver to the UK at the time but not ROI!).

I was going to say "For the cost, you can't go wrong" but really there is no need for the "For the cost" qualification! You really can't go wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There isn't much of a wildcamping scene in UK, apparently illegal. A lad in a camping shop over there told me one time the big sellers are the 6 man tents and ones with inflatable beams. People pack them into the back of their XC90 and drive outside of London and stay in a paid camp site

As a result everything on the vango site we'd consider as a normal tent is in the "adventure tent" and "technical tent" section

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There isn't much of a wildcamping scene in UK, apparently illegal. A lad in a camping shop over there told me one time the big sellers are the 6 man tents and ones with inflatable beams. People pack them into the back of their XC90 and drive outside of London and stay in a paid camp site

As a result everything on the vango site we'd consider as a normal tent is in the "adventure tent" and "technical tent" section

Hmmmm apparently they don't have one hundred and forty thousand miles public rights of way on footpaths and bridleways either ;)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Wild camping over in UK is huge I'd have thought.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/wildcampinguk/

This is a great and informative page with great gear reviews from time to time.
    Stunning photography which is really inspiring.

Planet X wrote: »
    Wild camping over in UK is huge I'd have thought.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/wildcampinguk/

This is a great and informative page with great gear reviews from time to time.
    Stunning photography which is really inspiring.

It is but due to a number of inconsiderate gob****es they're now clamping down on it and large estates have wardens patrolling at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 figleaf25

Field & Stream makes good, well made two-person tents.

Are you looking for something ultralight? Something comfortable? Do you experience extreme weather conditions where you are considering hiking? 

I would try cheking out field & stream tent reviews to find some decent deals on two person tents.

Advertisement